Author Topic: Pregabalin diary  (Read 10811 times)

Beetzart

• Karma Group
  • 'Billions and billions of stars'
Pregabalin diary
« on: July 05, 2012, 10:45:12 AM »
I thought I would give updates now and then with how I get on with this newish drug for anxiety.  I don't know if anyone else takes it here but it might be helpful, or give some idea what it might be like if people wanted to ask their doctor for it.  My pdoc said GPs don't like prescribing it due to the cost, but to quote him 'I don't give a f*** about the cost'.  Also it seems to have good reviews across the net.

I am on 75 mg twice a day for a week, then 150 mg twice a day.

I took the 1st dose at about 2 pm yesterday and within about 45 minutes I felt quite relaxed, slightly elated, and talkative.  I didn't notice any impairment at first but after a couple of hours I got a bit sleepy and had a lie down for an hour. 

Took the next dose at around 8.30 pm and had similar effects.  I took 45 mg mirtazapine at 11 pm and by midnight I was out of it; foggy feeling, dizzy, but not unpleasent so I went to bed.  Before I fell asleep I started to see images with my eyes shut and heard voices, but it wasn't disturbing.  Just quick sentences with voices saying stuff like 'what shall we do today?', or 'come over here'.  Then I fell asleep, a very good nights sleep I may add.  Some of these effects may be due to the combination of pregabalin and mirtazapine.  This morning I woke up groggy but that soon passed and I feel quite relaxed and positive.  Looking good so far.

It is meant to take a week before real benefits are noticed so I'll keep posting.

Beetzart

• Karma Group
Re: Pregabalin diary
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 10:02:33 PM »
Well after four days I have felt great then dipped a bit.  There is definitely a mild sense of elation and calmness after taking them, plus a bit of a 'couldn't give a f***' attitude mixed in as well.  I haven't felt dizzy or sleepy but may do when I go up to 300 mg a day.  Yet today I have been really irritable and getting wound up one minute then the next I'm all calm again; could be the depression of course.  Also, I feel more focused on things and seem to be seeing things in a more positive light.  My appetite has increased a tad and my sleep is better, plus I don't feel groggy in the morning, well not for very long anyway.

So far quite impressed, no serious side effects and most importantly I do feel markedly less anxious.

whiteadder

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 10:30:06 PM »
Sounds good - I think I want some :)
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 10:32:31 PM »
That sounds really positive  $%$.

S x x x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Beetzart

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 12:31:49 AM »
Kate, it is licensed to treat GAD in the UK.  My pdoc said GPs don't like prescribing it due to the cost, no generic available you see.  But that might not be the case everywhere.  The great thing about it is it works on the same part of the brain that alcohol and benzos target, yet, it has a very low potential for abuse.  Also, I haven't found myself wanting to gobble more down, like you might do with diazepam say, and have strictly stuck to the prescribing instructions.  But it works almost as quick as benzos.  Having one 75 mg capsule made me very chatty and relaxed within an hour, a bit like after 2 or 3 pints but without the bloated feel you get when drinking.  And another great thing is that you can get it on repeat indefinitely, unlike benzos which GPs will mostly only give for a short time.  The maximum dose is 600 mg a day in three separate doses.  This is a drug that I used to hope would be discovered; like a benzo but not as addictive, and still makes you feel good (by eliminating anxiety), and quickly!   Could be, or is, a wonder drug for anxiety.  No, I don't work for Pfizer either!

I'll be honest; I can't wait till wednesday when my dose gets doubled! :P 

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 03:33:22 AM »
Hi Beetzart,

It is very nice to hear that you are deriving some pleasure out of something, I know how awfully low you have been, so it is wonderful to see you more positive.

However, I do find it somewhat concerning that you are exhibiting a drug/addictive using personality (something we have in common and no negative connotation intended)...you enjoy the highs and you are looking forward to having the dose upped so you can get more high more frequently. I'm not suggesting addiction is around the corner, but do bear in mind that temporary feelings of elation are no cure, and its easy to get lost in the world the drug induced pleasantries and to ignore your actual problems. However, lets hope the more longer term effects of the drug prove to be a suitable solution to your anxiety. Perhaps the highs well soon plateau out.

I hope pregabalin works well for you and that its proves to be a success. My new medication is helping me immensely and I hope yours does too.

Take care,

Steve
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 04:45:31 AM by Stevie »

Beetzart

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 01:10:59 PM »
Hi Steve

I know what you are saying.  Although because I have been anxious for so long, chronically, having relief is wonderful.  I can leave the house without panic and I'm not fretting about everything, and I'm calmer but focused.  Thank you for your concern though, and of course addiction does enter my mind.  I can get hooked on stuff like benzos but never have trouble getting off them.

Beet

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 03:15:27 PM »
I can understand what you are saying Beet. I would have taken anything if it made me feel better. Just glad you are getting some relief from your anxiety. S x x x x

Beetzart

• Karma Group
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 03:59:24 PM »
That's right, Shaz.  Sometimes the anxiety can get so bad that you become irrational.  Do you beg a doctor for help or throw yourself of a cliff?

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 04:29:31 PM »

You beg the doctor for help.

I am glad you are feeling so much better.

Beetzart

• Karma Group
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 06:21:52 PM »
Went up to 300 mg a day yesterday, and it feels like I am drunk.  I'm wobbling all over the place, but it is not a nasty feeling, just content.  The main thing I am not anxious so this may the nearest thing to a wonder drug.  Fingers crossed!

Beet

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 06:47:22 PM »
My fingers are crossed for you too Beet xx
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 08:08:36 PM »
Mine too Beet.

S x x x x

CharleysAngel'

• Karma Group
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 08:00:47 PM »
Sounds good Beetzart, think I want some :) you know its bad when you can't leave the house without painkillers because you are 'scared of what pains you might get while you are out' and you can't walk down a highstreet on your own because you feel like everyone is looking at you. Plus the fact I wake up feeling groggy every morning anyway so it probably won't make any difference to me :-\
Sometimes love is not enough and the road gets tough I don't know why;'
Lana Del Rey

Beetzart

• Karma Group
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 02:59:54 PM »
It is a good drug, Icelolly, but strong.  It does feel like you are drunk but all your anxiety just disappears.  

With regards to this doctor coming out tomorrow, well I feel a bit hemmed in.  He is getting paid by the company to assess me so I wonder how impartial he will be.  But then again I don't care anymore, I really don't.  I've absolutely buggered my life up because of my inability to get along with people.  It's just been a pretence all these years trying to be something I'm not.  I make enemies wherever I go and that's not because I actively try to do that but it just seems to happen.   Must be because I am shy; noisy people don't like shy people because they can't suss them out, always think we're up to something.  I love quiet people.  There is a sense of mystery about them, what goes on in their head that we'll never hear.  So yes I like being a mystery to people.  Noisy people are easy to work out, you only have to be in their company for 5 mins to get them.  They're boring as well, always yacking and trying to be the centre of attention, questioning everyone's motives, and always looking for the slightest fault in something.  My mum, who is quiet, always said empty vessels make the most noise, quite true.  I don't like noisy people.  

Here's to all the quiet, shy, people, of the planet.  Silent, maybe, but the best thinkers the World will ever have!  $%$