Author Topic: Help with Citalopram - stopped working????  (Read 14143 times)

Nay

• Karma Group
Help with Citalopram - stopped working????
« on: October 21, 2012, 04:18:53 PM »
Hi guys,

Just joined the forum. Quite desperately looking for help.

I started taking Citalopram 4 years ago. Have been up to 40mg but now on 20mg. 4 weeks ago, me and my partner split up, so I've been quite low and upset, but I feel like my tablets have stopped working? I'm unable to cope with the smallest things, everything seems too much for me to handle.

I have been having suicidal thoughts, but don't intend to act on them. It just keeps popping into my head with alarming frequency now and it's scaring me. This isn't like me at all. I can't sleep, have no interest in food and constantly feel low or am crying. Feel like I'm back to how I felt before the tablets :(

I had a very low point over 2 years ago where the Dr increased my meds. With this increase I felt suicidal and had crazy hallucinations that I believed were really happening to me. I often felt like I was dying and considered walking in front of a bus or drowning myself in the bath to try and make it stop, though I never acted on it. My Dr dropped my meds again and I eventually felt more on an even keel. Similar things happened when i tried to come off the tablets, so I've been on 20mg ever since.

I went to my Dr last week to explain how I was feeling etc, and I asked if we could consider trying a different tablet. She refused and asked me to go back in a week and see how I'm feeling then. I think she will refuse me again. I don't know what to do, this is driving me nuts (quite literally!).

Can anyone offer any help? Do meds stop working after that amount of time?

Thanks all xxx

bookletters

• Karma Group
Re: Help with Citalopram - stopped working????
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 05:32:42 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum!
It is frequent to need to give meds an increase here and there so please try not to worry, it's happened to me and after the dose was increased I was fine.
I would see a different GP if yours is unwilling to do anything about the situation though as it is not fair to let you suffer like that!!
Big hug to you  *()

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 07:47:20 PM »
Hello and welcome  +-_.  I was also on Citalopram for several years and it stopped working for me too.  I had my meds changed and am now so much better, I did have counselling also, and with the new meds and the counseling I am now feeling much better.  Maybe you should consider seeing another dr if at all possible and discuss a change of medication also consider some form of counselling as it seems you are having a rough time of it personally in your life.  Medication can certainly help but very often we need help with what is the cause.

S x x x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Nay

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 09:44:13 PM »
Thanks guys,

I am currently seeing a counsellor at my Dr's surgery, but I only have 3 sessions left. It is helping, but I know I need more than 6 sessions to help me deal with this. I have been on the waiting list for CBT with MIND for 2 years now, but still nothing. I called up last week to see if I was any further up the list, but they say they've already contacted me, though I've heard nothing. grr! Waiting for a phone call on tuesday from the therapy coordinator to see what's going on.

Bookletters, my dose has been put up before, but they had to lower it again as i had these similar thoughts on the higher dose that would not shift. They put me on Diazepam on top of 40mg Citalopram to help me sleep. it didn't work. When i try to come off the tablets, I just have similar effects as putting my dose up. I feel like I'm eternally stuck on this 20mg level.

They really don't feel like they're working for me now, and I'm scared I'll do something stupid to rid me of the thoughts, even though I know I don't really want to die. The hallucinations I had previously absolutely terrified me, I got sent home from work once because I believed my arm had been slashed open and blood was pouring down my arm. I couldn't understand why no one would give me first aid. I really believed it was happening.

I'm really struggling now, but don't know if this is the tablets or if I'm just going crazy :(

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 09:53:53 PM »
 %^% you are not going crazy, you are ill, depression is an awful illness and affects us in so many ways.  I strongly urge you to see a different dr, you really should not be suffering this way. My dr referred me to our local mental health team as he was concerned that meds were not working.  They totally understood what I was saying when I described how I was feeling they also changed my meds. Citalopram is clearly not working for you, there are many different anti-depressants to try and we are all different so not every drug works for everyone.

S x x x x

Nay

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 10:00:28 PM »
The Dr said she wouldn't change my meds as I would have to be weaned off the citalopram, then gently go up on the other meds. She thinks the same thought processes will happen if they change my meds over. But i'm going back on weds, i still feel the same. What will she say then? Can they keep saying no to me? I know nothing about other drugs to try, but there has to be a better way than this.

I'm scared and i'm tired :'(

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 10:28:30 PM »
 %^% for you.  I understand you being scared.  I think you just have to keep telling her how you feel.

S x x x x

Nay

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 11:12:47 PM »
Thank you Shaz xxx

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 11:25:48 AM »
Depression does make you feel scared Nay, it is total normal and doesn't mean there is something really wrong with you, it is just depression (or essentially the "calming / feel good" neurotransmitters aren't transmitting the correct info to your brain so your brain is trying to make up for this by making more of the neurotransmitter that makes you alert / agitated / scared, ready to fight or flight etc). Please don't worry, it is nothing your doctor can't help with. xx

Nay

• Karma Group
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 07:26:42 PM »
That's the problem though, I don't think my Dr will help me. I'm quite shy normally and not very self confident at times, so I would feel uncomfortable asking to see another Dr. I know my depression, and this doesn't feel right anymore. But is it me or the meds? Can meds stop working all of a sudden, after working fine for 4 years? I've been through a lot worse than this before and the meds really helped me, but I just don't feel like they are helping me now.

I don't know much about meds. I was put on Citalopram after being diagnosed and I've been on them ever since.

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 07:33:33 PM »
Yes the meds can stop working after working fine for 4 years.
Your doc will help you, go and see him!!!

Nay

• Karma Group
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 07:59:01 PM »
I have an appointment to see her on Weds after counselling. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for your help and advice guys, feel completely at a loss at the moment x

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 11:56:29 PM »
It is normal to feel lost, it is what the illness does, we've all been there and yup it will make you feel lost and scared, like you are in a real mess and can't see the light at the end of the tunnel etc etc
Please try to be gentle to yourself, your doc will review your prescription and you will be well before you know it!! xx

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 01:45:18 PM »
 %^% Nay, I do hope you get on ok with your dr on Wednesday.

S x x x x 

Nay

• Karma Group
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 07:55:10 PM »
Thank you both. Will let you know how it goes.

Your support means a lot xxx