Author Topic: Help with Citalopram - stopped working????  (Read 14145 times)

bookletters

• Karma Group
Re: Help with Citalopram - stopped working????
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 08:47:31 PM »
No problem, we've been through this so we know what it's like xxx

Nay

• Karma Group
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 06:48:22 PM »
Well, i went to see my Dr yesterday for the second time about changing my meds. Again, she was reluctant to do so. I told her that I was feeling worse and that I needed to do something about it. She then discussed putting me onto Prozac. I've heard bad things about Prozac in the past, so I didn't really want to be prescribed that.

I mentioned the possibility of trying Venlafaxine, as my friend said it has done wonders for her, and I had read good things on this forum. Eventually, she agreed to try it, so gave me a script for 2 weeks worth. It was a battle, but I got there  =+-

I'm a little worried about the dosage though. When I was taking Citalopram, I was on 20mg. The Venlafaxine I have been given is 75mg split over two tablets a day! this seems like a massive increase, after telling her that when my Citalopram had been put up to 40mg i suffered hallucinations and my suicidal thoughts were rife.

Is this too much of an increase? I forgot to take my Citalopram in the morning yesterday, so once I'd collected my new script I went straight on to that. She said I don't need to wean off the Citalopram then slowly work up on the Ven, I can just start on the Ven straight away. Am I being silly worrying about it?

This is my second day of taking them. I feel a bit spaced out, am clenching my teeth (I got this with the Citalopram, but it eventually faded and just reappears when I'm feeling under pressure), I got snappy with a colleague earlier - which is not like me at all - and I feel generally weird. No major side effects as yet, so I'm doing ok.

My mood is very low and the suicidal thoughts are still there, but I want to at least try this to see if it helps. I have an appointment to go back in two weeks to see how I'm getting on, but she said to go back earlier if I need to.

Am I right to worry about the dosage or is this normal practice?

(P.S. Thanks for all your support so far guys, it really does mean a lot x )

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »
All meds have different dosages. Mine is duloxetine and I am on the normal dose of 60mg but as I say they are all so different. It may take a while to work. Again the time span varies with meds and the individual. I am so pleased that your Dr listened to you %^%. S x x x x 

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Nay

• Karma Group
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 07:04:04 PM »
Me too.

My counsellor gave me a pep talk before I went in to help me stand up for myself and get the help I wanted  :D

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 07:30:48 PM »
Hello Nay!
You have nothing to worry about, maximum dosage for citalopram is 60mg, venlafaxine is something like 375mg!!!
It is perfectly standard for you to start at 37.5 x 2, this is what I am going to be taking from Monday onwards.
It is also fine to go from citalopram to venlafaxin as they are both part of the same family (well citalopram is SSRI, venlafaxin is SNRI as it acts on the norepinephrine neurotransmitter as well as on serotonine like SSRI)....
Clenching teeth, loss of appetite, feeling worse, feeling more anxious is all completely normal, give it a little bit of time and these will go away. It can take 6 -12 weeks before the meds have full effects although really it is likely you will start seeing improvements before that.
I hope venlafaxin helps you as much as it is helping me!!!

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 07:32:31 PM »
Oh, and don't hesitate to see your doc if you are having trouble sleeping. I know when I first started on venlafaxin I took a small dose of sleeping aid as I couldn't sleep very well and this made me very tearful....

Nay

• Karma Group
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 07:48:48 PM »
Thank you lovely.

Sleep is a big issue at the moment. I couldn't get to bed until 5.30am Friday night / Saturday morning. I was so tired but just not tired enough to sleep. Just can't switch my brain off.

Thanks for letting me know about the dosage, not quite so nervous about taking it now  :D The symptoms I've listed are pretty much what i had when I first went onto Citalopram, apart from the suicidal thoughts. I did notice that I did a lot of staring today. The floor of the bus, a particular part of the keyboard at work etc. Just seem to find a point and drift off without realising.

I have spoken to my managers today about the effects I am experiencing and may experience, just so they can look out for me. Don't want them to think I've completely lost the plot!

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2012, 08:32:19 PM »
That is so good of you to tell your managers. I am not very good at doing that!!
Well some of the staring will be due to you being knackered as well you know....
However, do ask your doc for sleeping aid if needed. They aren't a good idea in the long run but can help until meds kick in....

Nay

• Karma Group
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2012, 08:41:40 PM »
I'm really crap at talking about myself normally, but I just had to make them aware in case they though it might cause any issues. If I hallucinate again or start behaving oddly, they'd want to know why. And because I'm dealing with vulnerable adults, it wouldn't be good for them to see me going a bit bonkers!

I'm going to see how I get on over the weekend, and if sleep doesn't improve, I might see my Dr again. Just don't want to take more meds than I really need to.

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2012, 08:53:30 PM »
Did you hallucinate because of the AD or do you have psychotic depression or sthg?
Yes, that's fair enough, I feel like that too!

Nay

• Karma Group
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 08:59:11 PM »
I had the hallucinations because my meds were increased. Never had it before then. Kinda had it when I tried to come off the Citalopram previously but no way near as severe, and not had it since.

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2012, 09:00:34 PM »
ah okay, yes must be the side effects

Nay

• Karma Group
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2012, 09:04:04 PM »
Yep, which is why I was scared about thinking i was on a high dose of the new meds. Do NOT want to see the things I saw when my meds were increased last time!

Catbrian

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2012, 11:57:52 PM »
Hi Nay.... I've just been reading through your posts.  I haven't been around much lately.

I'm pleased to read the Doc eventually agreed to try you on Venlafaxine.  What a cheek refusing in the first place. 

Your counselor is right, you do need to stand up for yourself and push for what YOU think is right for YOU

As Book has said, the side effects are perfectly normal and I do hope you start to feel the benefits very soon.  I reckon your hallucinations on high doses of Citalopram was simply because it wasn't the right drug for you.  That doesn't mean the same will happen with Venlafaxine. Try not to worry too much.  Bookletters is having good results from her dose....I really hope it's the same for you.

Last thing I'd say, is try regulate your sleep.  You need rest especially when your in employment, which I think says a lot about you.  Many people, including me, cannot cope with work.  If you need to, go back to the GP and ask for a temp sleeping aid, if you continue to have insomnia.

Good luck.  $%$  I'll be watching out for how you're getting on

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2012, 12:22:51 AM »
Cat your posts are really good!!!