Author Topic: Unemployment frustrations  (Read 16263 times)

lostmyway

• Karma Group
Unemployment frustrations
« on: February 14, 2017, 07:37:00 PM »
Hi all

I have been looking for a job since 2013 and i STILL don't have another job. Do the DWP expect me to live on fresh air, or is that expected these days?  As previously mentioned I have been studying for a degree since 2013 also, and am still doing it.  I look on Indeed for something to apply for, and find practically nothing.. and when I do find something I get no reply whatsoever?

I am only 45 and am not ready to retire just yet. Voluntary work is fine but it doesn't pay any bills.  I honestly do not know what to do for the best.  I have never been able to move out as I have never had a job that paid enough money. I had one for 13 years but that was low-paid and had a lack of prospects.  I am completely in limbo and dont know what to do anymore.  There is a job club in my local town that is held once a week but that's about as much help as you can expect around here from anybody.  It's a very depressing situation to be in and do not know what to do next.

I applied for 3 jobs last week but got no reply.

Amanda_George

• Please be gentle with me!
  • Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
    • Amanda's ultimate navigation to all her webpages
Re: Unemployment frustrations
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 11:13:36 AM »
Might be worth applying for ESA and PIP?  It's far from ideal but better than nothing until you find a job.  The ones that don't reply to you aren't worth bothering with, I reckon... if they can't send a reply to you out of politeness, they may not care about their employees that are already there either?

Don't give up, keep trying... there's something out there for you!
Money talks, chocolate sings!  :-D

May your life be as pleasant as you are.

lostmyway

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 11:41:43 AM »
Hi Amanda_George

Thanks for your kind words.  I don't think I am eligible for ESA/PIP.  Because I bothered to save something, I can't apply for JSA anyway, so basically my NI stamp isn't getting paid and consequently it may affect my state pension in the future.  Due to the kindness of my mother I stay where I am but it is VERY emasculating for somebody my age.  Maybe I should pray every night and something might happen?

Regards

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 03:12:48 PM »
Maybe take a trip to your local CAB and email the benefits agency?  Social services too - the Gloucester one has a benefits advisor so hopefully your local adult social services will have one too?

Don't give up, just keep looking and you will find a job when the time is right   :hug:

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 08:46:49 PM »
I agree with Amanda and you should be able to get some kind of benefit.

My husband has been on Income Support and Incapacity Benefit for years.  Back in late 2012 / early 2013 I applied for DLA but got turned down despite having osteoarthrits in my right hip, both hands and my right wrist and lost my appeal.  All the panel did was go on about my hands and completely disregarded everything else that my doctor had written.

My husband applied for PIP as he has health problems as well so I decided to try again.  We both got PIP which is dealt with better than DLA was and we both had thorough medicals.  I got the enhanced rate and got awarded motabilityat the enhanced rate.  Last year my husband got awarded the enhanced rate of motability although he is still on the standard rate of PIP.

It is worth persevering with trying to get benefits and living with your mother shouldn't make any difference.

lostmyway

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 11:23:14 PM »
Hi Pip

I don't really have any disability or serious illness that prevents me from working, so a GP or Health Assessor or whatever you would call it would probably notice the fact.   I have been trying since 18 to get somewhere and have ended up on my backside career wise and everything else.  It's not like I haven't tried.  Furthermore, I don't like claiming welfare because your life isn't your own once you do so.

If you involve government, it normally ends up a mess..   I am not sure what makes you think I am eligible for PIP or ESA if I was honest about it.

lostmyway

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 09:35:10 PM »
The tory govt. is making it so hard for people to claim welfare now.  I'm not entitled to jsa because of 'savings'.  People on ESA get thrown onto JSA even when its obvious they cannot work.
This country is going to hell in a handbasket.

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 11:48:11 AM »
Have you looked at the ESA forms?  Maybe apply for it and talk about your depression on bad days and barely mention good days?  You can't be expected to live on nothing!   :hug:

lostmyway

• Karma Group
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 02:11:57 PM »
No but they obviously do, don't they?  The ones that have paid nothing into the system are the ones they should sanction and leave out.  But this is the world we live in.

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 10:07:48 AM »
Is there a CAB near you?  Maybe email them and ask for their help to get benefits?   :hug:

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 12:09:25 AM »
I know people who get benefits who don't deserve it and one goes as far as using his son's motability car - son has learning disabilities (mental age of 8) - without being in car and uses his son's blue badge without his son being in the car.  Even when we had this young man staying with us the father refused to give us the blue badge as he needed it.

I still think you should apply for benefits which you are entitled to do AND there is no shame in doing so.

lostmyway

• Karma Group
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 06:09:51 PM »
It is means tested and 16k is the threshold.  I have over that due to working for 14 years straight, and being able to save some of the salary I was working for.  Ironilcally, the last place I want to go for job and careers advice is the Job Centre.  I have lost momentum, hope and everything else, the symptoms are getting worse and unfortunately don't see a silver bullet to change this nightmar-ish situation.

I honestly didn't expect this to last for 4 years (feels like forever now).  Some would say move to another town but that costs money.. lots of it.

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 06:50:54 PM »
 :hug:  I wish I had some words of encouragement for you... have you tried talking to your GP and asking to be referred to a psychologist or anything like that?    :-\

lostmyway

• Karma Group
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2017, 01:40:59 PM »
I have done that before and it didn't come to anything.  Not convinced it really helps.

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2017, 01:49:36 PM »
How about writing a letter to your GP and let it all out?  Say you need help and don't know where to go?   :hug: