Author Topic: fighting depression and getting back in shape  (Read 115555 times)

jali

• Karma Group
fighting depression and getting back in shape
« on: November 12, 2016, 10:52:56 PM »
Hi,
I've been suffering with depression over 10 years now, it had/ has a strangle hold on me, some days are better then others, I started to feel depressed during my time at university, don't get me wrong I had friends, but family life wasn't too good, I've always had a svelte body, but started putting on weight around the time I was studying at university, I use to tell myself that I didn't have time to exercise due to my assignments, looking back it was me just making excuses, I had plenty of time I just did other things instead,

Let me tell you, when you start putting on the pounds people notice, it started off with the odd quip here and there, you know, puffing out their cheeks, to let me know I've put on some weight, or my favourite one, the finger jab to the gut, I would laugh it off, but deep down it hurt, In time my family jumped on the band wagon, and started letting me know I was looking HEAVY, but in my head it was the same old me, surely I haven't put on that much weight,

I can still remember the day I realised I was fat, it was unsettling to say the least, I was at a job interview and I was wearing an expensive pin striped shirt

, the interview wasn't go well, and to add insult to injury, I bent down to pick something up and my shirt ripped, right where my belly button is, I managed to hide the tear with my tie, I finished the interview and returned home feeling pathetic, I felt that way for a long time, falling deeper into the abyss.

I was a university graduate who didn't have a job, I felt like a complete loser I would spend all day online., It was during this time while on youtube when I stumbled across an old interview of Pat Morita AKA Mr Miyagi, he talked about a lot of things he had to over come in life, it struck a cord with me

it's this quote that helped me

"people say, well you gotta be lucky,
luck has an element, yeah you gotta have some talent,
yes you gotta be at the right place right time,
it takes a whole hell of a lot of perseverance passion and love,
and many many many steps along the way,
and not always in a direct line,
in order to get from here to there,
you have to walk side ways some, you gotta walk obliquely,
and maybe two step backwards for one step forward, and vise versa,
it's a whole process, it's called a life,
and as long as one, regardless of his or his perception of where they want that life to ultimately be, they cant give up,
for one reason or another, you know, your out of work, or life seems to be against you,
you hit all these bottoms, it can break your spirit, break your heart, and cause you a lot of grief and stuff,
you know if your really meant to get some where, regardless of what profession it is, your gonna get there, but you can not keep trying, to get there,
cause nobody hands you anything in life, we all know that,"

man, that really hit home for me, and thus filled me with a greater sense of vigour, I started training again, it's been a few years since, and I've managed to lose the weight and out on a little bit of muscle, I still have that ripped shirt, I like to look at it at times, it motivates me to never let myself become that way.

I've been documenting my progression, challenging myself, here's what I've done so far,

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF-hH5hjD5U

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAJUvW8Opz8

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZqeFAw-JE0

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsno9jlerdI

youtube.com/watch?v=l_p-wokHvzQ[/url]
youtube.com/watch?v=zK1v_5G-Jdc[/url]
youtube.com/watch?v=nY85aGZo3Go[/url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg_D-q02g0w

I know that was a long rant, but it's something I've been wanting get of my chest
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 10:57:37 PM by jali »

Amanda_George

• Please be gentle with me!
  • Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
    • Amanda's ultimate navigation to all her webpages
Re: fighting depression and getting back in shape
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 08:54:37 AM »
I understand where you're coming from 'cos I've been in the hell-hole myself.  You're doing the right thing though, Jali, keep on keeping on and you'll get there in the end!
Money talks, chocolate sings!  :-D

May your life be as pleasant as you are.

jali

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 06:54:07 PM »
thanks for the reply,

everyday is a struggle, i'm glad I can get things off my chest here, i've been hiding the fact that I suffer with depression from everyone, friends and family alike, these challenges are a way to keep me on track,

jali

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 07:00:05 PM »
I anyone is interested, here is a link to the Pat Morita AKA Mr Miyagi interview,

http://www.emmytvlegends.org/interviews/people/pat-morita

man, did this guy have to over come some series stuff

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 07:58:26 AM »
Do you keep a diary or blog or anything like that?  I just know that sometimes there are things you don't want to make public is all.  I couldn't be without my blogs now!

Let it all out here and we will always listen to your words.  We may not have magic words or anything, but we all know where you're coming from 'cos we've prolly been there ourselves or can feel your pain.  Let it all out to us, Jali!

jali

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 06:19:49 PM »
Do you keep a diary or blog or anything like that?  I just know that sometimes there are things you don't want to make public is all.  I couldn't be without my blogs now!

Let it all out here and we will always listen to your words.  We may not have magic words or anything, but we all know where you're coming from 'cos we've prolly been there ourselves or can feel your pain.  Let it all out to us, Jali!

No, I don't really keep a diary or blog, I did contemplate keep a journal (manly version of a diary lol ) but I decided against it, I cant risk someone reading it, even right now as I type these words I feel some what ashamed, don't get me wrong I am a strong willed person, but it's the sadness and feeling of despair that get me down some times, I wish I didn't feel like this, but I am on the road to recovery, I felt a lot worse a few years back, I at least have a job now, be it a crappy one, but a job non the less, and those challenge videos give me a sense of accomplishment

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 04:57:16 PM »
How about a private blog and not giving anyone the url?  That's how I started mine and when I got used to seeing that big, fat zero in the "number of times read" column, I started putting more and more personal things in each time I needed to... maybe try that or something?   :happy0158:  Or use a totally different name for your blog that no-one would be able to connect to you?   :happy0158:

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 10:24:40 PM »
Welcome Jali,

I've suffered with depression for most of my of my life so have had to change my ways of coping over the years.                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

jali

• Karma Group
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 10:47:15 AM »
Welcome Jali,

I've suffered with depression for most of my of my life so have had to change my ways of coping over the years.                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

I've been suffering since by 20's im 32 now, it just sneaks upon you, i wish they would told me about the pitfalls of life in school, college or university, I've been kick in the proverbial teeth probably a million times, be it from getting ripped off from employers, to scammed  in life as well as online, (i'm looking at you ebay), it doesn't help that people these days have forgotten what kindness, compassion and decorum are,

my ways of coping is to train hard, push myself to be the best i can be, i'm done listen to the nay Sayers, and the people who have mocked me, I know as long as I keep trying i'll  get to where I need to be, I know it wont be easy, and i'll probably get smashed against the rocks, but that will just motivate me to try harder

jali

• Karma Group
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 02:11:24 PM »
UPDATE:
Completed another challenge, 1 hour Single Leg Jump Rope non stop,I did roughly 1000+
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKzSKamVjeY

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 04:05:03 PM »
Blimey!  I hope you're feeling really proud of yourself   :happy0158:

jali

• Karma Group
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 10:05:38 AM »

thank you for your comment, I always feel a great sense of accomplishment whenever I complete these challenges, I feel like if i can complete a feat like this, then i cant be a complete loser, right?  :chin:

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 12:20:17 PM »

thank you for your comment, I always feel a great sense of accomplishment whenever I complete these challenges, I feel like if i can complete a feat like this, then i cant be a complete loser, right?  :chin:

Definitely!  I don't reckon you are a loser at all anyway though    :biggrin:   :hug: if you want it

jali

• Karma Group
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 10:14:48 AM »
thank you for your kind words,

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 11:42:25 AM »
Just being honest   :biggrin:   :hug: