Author Topic: Coming off venlafaxine for good. First time off ssri/snri in 10 years  (Read 11137 times)

Jrabz

• Karma Group
Hello. I have suffered chronic  depression for about 10 years however for the  most part  it's been accute due to various ads.

I was on 20mg escitalopram however I had a major relapse last year due to break up ( that's when relapses seem to occur) and ended up in the priory. I was pretty suicidal. Before I was admitted I was put on mirtazipine but it increased my heart rate dramatically and I just felt plain awful and very agitated with racing thoughts.  I was pretty suicidal. I was put on setraline in the priory and was bumped up to 200mg which had caused majour anxiety this was over a period of a few months. Pdoc decided to take me off them and back to Ecitalopram which worked for like a month. Depression reoccurred pretty badly. Pdoc then tried me on venlafaxine. Up to 150 in 2 weeks and it ripped me out of that hole so fast. Was able to function normally again. However recently I started to feel awful and I blamed it on my sleep apnea which  I'm going to be treated for soon as I'm getting cpap. It was requested I get my blood pressure taken and had to monitor it with machine over a week as it was too high and racing heart. Back to pdpoc and now I'm coming off venlafaxine down to 75mg for 2 weeks then stop altogether.

Thing is I'm terrified of the withdrawal effects. So far so good for the last 3 days on half dose and I've slept the best for months. Does everybody suffer withdrawal? I have diazepam which I take about 30mg as my anxiety was pretty bad just before I stated to withdraw from venlafaxine. Pdoc wants me to try no ssri or snri after I stop venlafaxine to see how I get on. I'm not sure this is wise.

What are your thoughts?   Thanks for replies in advance.  :chin:

Grace

• Global Moderator
Re: Coming off venlafaxine for good. First time off ssri/snri in 10 years
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 07:58:17 AM »
Venlafaxine worked for me very well and I have used it for about 11 years but in Sept.2012 it somehow stopped working ... I did not suffer any withdrawal symtoms .... but then I just swapping medication.
It's good you have diazepam at hand because it will help with withdrawal symptoms. If I were you, during this withdrawal time, take it easy on yourself .... but if you feel that your depression symptoms are returning don't hesitated to let your doctor know.
Actually I don't see much point in trying to stay without meds if your brain chemistry needs it.
Taking antidepresents is not big deal for me, they are a means for me to function properly, just as I have to take anti-hypertensives.
Keep posting here as we can be of help one for the other!
And feel yourself welcome!
Grace

Jrabz

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 11:30:33 AM »
Many thanks for your reply.

A few years ago I was on citalopram and it worked wonders. Very calming ad. However I had to change to escitalopram due to erectile dysfunction and that was resolved quicky afterwards.

After withdrawing from venlafaxine he did suggest citalopram if I relapse. What puzzled me is that the escitalopram stopped working just before I was out on venlafaxine and  citalopram and escitalopram 
Have the same pharmodynamics. Since escitalopram stopped working I would expect the same for citalopram.

I realise that I probably need these ads but you can probably emphasise as to why  Ive lost faith in these meds. They all seem to stop working or have horrible side effects.  I can't go on with  life like  this.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 01:54:17 PM »
I have not taken this medication but, I was on citalopram which stopped working and vmy Pdoc changed it to Duloxetine (Cymbalta). I was told to stop taking the Citalopram and start the Duloxetine. I was given Clonazepam to take for 2 weeks gradually tapering off.  I had no withdrawal symptoms doing this. Duloxetine works very well for me.

Is your Dr assessing you over your withdrawal?

X x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Jrabz

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 10:28:33 PM »
Well I could call my pdoc when I want but he's very busy and it usually takes a couple of weeks to see him.

Had a few weird heart thumps. Same as what I had when I came off ecitalopram. So only slight withdrawal effects so far.

I just don't get why my pdoc would want to go back into citalopram when the purer form ecitalopram "pooped out" in dec.

Only had to take 2x5 mg diazepam today!  Maybe I won't suffer the horrendous withdrawals that most seem to coming off venlafaxine.  I actually feel better

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 10:37:58 PM »
That's good to hear that you are having very few side effects. We are all different so hopefully you will go on with no further effects.

Am I right in understanding that your pdoc wants to put you onto Citalopram? As you say this seems strange as escalopram did not work for you.

X x

Jrabz

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 11:11:46 PM »
Yes he does if I suffer relapse. Thought it was very strange considering they have the same pharmodynamics.

I'm having a few wines just now after glossing my flat. I know I shouldn't drink but I thought I deserved it

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 11:18:27 PM »
Fingers crossed you don't relapse. There are many other ani depressants, so it does seem strange he would not try something different.

Don't blame you have a glass of wine, sounds like you deserve it.

X x

Jrabz

• Karma Group
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 11:26:49 PM »
Haha yes. Just a few then bed.

I've slept for 12 hours last night. Just goes to show that some drugs do more harm than good.

I think I'll keep clear of any noradrenaline reuptake inhibitors. They make me feel crazy and can't sleep.

I realise there is much more meds but the only one that worked was citalopram and ecitaopram. They seem to be very specific for serotonin. I think I'll keep that I'm mind when I see pdoc next.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 05:44:33 PM »
I hope you had a good nights rest and that today has been kind to you.  Sounds like you are pretty knowledgeable about what's available medication wise.  What works well for some does not for others.

X x

Jrabz

• Karma Group
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 11:46:43 AM »
Yeah I'm kinda knowledgable due to "googling" and being on and off different meds for 10 years. No more signs of withdrawal yet. Quite surprised considering the horror stories you hear after some just missing one dose. Infact, I feel more like myself again. Hopefully I haven't spoke too soon.

The non activating ads seem to be citalopram, ecitalopram and paroxetine, the latter I have not been on. However there does seem to be a lot of side effects with paroxetine.

I'll probably suggest that one next if I relapse.

Sweet pea, what is your diagnoses?

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 12:56:56 PM »
So good to hear you are doing OK. Fingers crossed for you.  I have read as most as I can about the different ant depressants I have been on. I feel the more you understand helps.

I am diagnosed with depression and anxiety. The Duloxetine works well for me.

X x

Jrabz

• Karma Group
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 08:37:36 AM »
Well so far so good I even missed a dose and didn't even notice. Hopefully that's a sign that when I stop altogether it won't be so bad.

Can anyone explain why my pdoc would want be to go back on citalopram if I relapse, see first post.

Thanks

Joel. 

Grace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 02:41:23 PM »
I have never taken this medication. I was on Escitalopram for a few months but it did not work for me! What I know is that escitalopram is the second generation of Citalopram, there is some kind of refinement of Citalopram. It is an ssri and I don't have any idea why your pdoc would want to go back to it.
But hopefully you may not need it!! Let's keep our fingers crossed!!
Grace

Jrabz

• Karma Group
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 05:00:52 PM »
Maybe he thinks it'll work as a placebo effect as I kept on reiterating how great it was when I was on it for a few years.

I won't take it though as the ecitalpram stopped working.

Maybe I need a new pdoc. 

:chin: