Author Topic: Never had faith  (Read 80456 times)

mrmoody

Re: Never had faith
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2012, 07:57:20 PM »
we've kind of swerved back onto beliefs and religion again. I havent Zaf since I was in my late teens. Before then I believed in God but as I say it was more a notion or concept than an omnipotent father figure. Even when I went through a brief period of belief in God I still believed it was something humans could never grasp and only glimpse by looking at the universe. God to me was some kind of pure energy not a being. I became disillusioned when Christians spoke of God being like a human. I thought Christ was made into a human like form from this energy called God so that we would not fear him.

Kind of like the bit in the film Contact (Carl Sagan story) where Jodie Foster character enters the wormhole and lands on some distant alien planet and the alien appears to her as an image of her dead father, the reason being as the alien explains is that is so to appear as a form that is familiar and non threatning.

Micky

• Karma Group
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2012, 08:00:18 PM »
God is nothing but a tool to make sense of the world. Since time began, and before our Christian God, man has tried to explain their own existence and make sense of the suffering they go through in life by way of divine intervention. Each day I am left perplexed by how we can still cling to this pre-historical mumbo jumbo. The world is a wonderful place, we are so lucky to be able to intellectually experience it's beauty. Take comfort that after we have lived in it, we are part of it's intricate food chain. That is all there is.

mrmoody

« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2012, 08:07:33 PM »
Also in the film Contact (never finished the book. Long story, wont go into it) the Jodie Foster character is a scientist and an aethist. She therefore doesnt deem it neccesary to mention faiths or beliefs when she will travel in the pod through the wormhole to meet whatever alien life on the other side.

She is then at odds with the decision that is imposed upon her that she will have to mention religion in her encounter with any alien lifeforms as there are so many believers and faiths across the world, she would therefore be imposing her own beliefs and not representing those of humanity and the earth. She is therefore instructed that she will therefore have to mention the religions of the world even though she is a non believer. It is such a part of human history and of society.

Intresting notion. I cant say if it was a part of the book as I didnt get to finish it. Beet have you ever read that book by any chance?

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2012, 08:13:22 PM »
If you look at it scientifically Alex we, as well as the rest of the universe, are all energy as everything is made of atoms.

No so Mickey, perhaps thats true of the Abrahamic faiths but definitely not some of the eastern ones as they dont believe that god rewards or punishes and at least one of which teaches modern values and nothing to do with historic events or beliefs.  None of us knows for sure what happens when we die, we only believe we do.

Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2012, 08:14:46 PM »
Sounds worth a read Alex, do you know the author?

mrmoody

« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2012, 08:22:04 PM »
yes Carl Sagan the astronomer who helped make the Cosmos series amongst many other things he did. Great ambassador for science and astronomy.

I dont believe in God, was just discussing my past beliefs. I guess I am more of an agnostic than aethist. I guess its sitting on the fence but how can we really know?

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2012, 08:24:56 PM »
We proably wont till we die and I'm not in that much of a hurry to find out ;)

mrmoody

« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2012, 08:31:10 PM »
dont know if I believe in an afterlife. I dont think there is heaven and hell and this life is hell enough. I think it was just a concept to control the masses. Abit like a joke you told me lol.

I still think of God sometimes as just the universe and all it contains, a name for everything and everything being conncected in some way. I know that sounds vauge but hey I am not preaching my beliefs in the notion I might convert someone. I dont use it as a justification for my actions.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2012, 08:39:39 PM »
Thete are several faiths that believe this life on earth is a type of hell, I certainly think some faiths use the concept of heaven and hell to control their believers.  That joke always makes me smile  =+-

It sounds very similar to my beliefs

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
Re: Re: Never had faith
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2012, 08:40:07 PM »
We proably wont till we die and I'm not in that much of a hurry to find out ;)
. Do not normally post in this section, but this did make me giggle.  S x x x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

mrmoody

« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2012, 09:03:57 PM »
no me niether Shaz lol. I want to live and not die anymore, to find out if it can get better. It was good sometimes too. Its not all bad

Micky

• Karma Group
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2012, 09:08:13 PM »
I am 100% sure of what will happen when I die. I take comfort in that.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2012, 09:11:11 PM »
Thats great, but your views may not be the same as many other people's. 

Micky

• Karma Group
« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2012, 09:23:50 PM »
No Zaf it may not, but when I'm dead and deep in hell and suffering all torments that Satan can imagine I give you my permission to point and laugh at me from your lofty outlook.

Unfortunately for me and my belief there is no 'I told you so'.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 09:30:30 PM by Micky »

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2012, 09:35:54 PM »
I'm not the sort of person to gloat Mickey even if I did believe in heaven and hell, which I dont.

Whatever happens at the end I hope you find peace