Author Topic: Never had faith  (Read 80375 times)

Beetzart

• Karma Group
  • 'Billions and billions of stars'
Re: Never had faith
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
Science isn't a belief, it is a collection of theories that describes natural phenomenon.  It tells us why the sky is blue, why rivers flows downhill and apples fall to the ground, why the sun can shine for billions of years, why there are extinct volcanoes, why Mount Olympus on Mars grew so high, etc, etc.

There are laws in science, and theories describe them  Science stands by the best theory for each law until someone can give a better description and usurp it.  If people want to attach themselves to something someone made up then that's fine, but having that crutch, whether it be some 'energy' or a god, in my opinion holds people back from really exploring the beauty of everything, and why it is what it is, objectively.  People always go for the easiest option and just because we are alive by incredible luck, I mean the chances of anyone being born as they are longer then winning the jackpot on the lottery.  But to be born is a developed country like the UK, which lets be honest is one of the best in the world, instead of say Afghanistan further increases your luck.  But to be born in an age where science is progressing exponentially to make our lives even better (that is subjective but I believe we are better off now then if we had lived 200 years ago), your luck has just gone through the roof.  And to be born into the most intelligent species on the planet, well...

So with incredible opportunity that having a homosapien body gives, what do most people choose to do?  Believe that this life of 70/80 years isn't enough and arrogantly and greedily want to live forever.  Make the most of this beautiful planet, solar system, Universe in the time you have.  In a few billion years the atoms in your eye reading this maybe hurtling into an oncoming Comet.  In that sense you do live forever, it's just that you will be scattered across the Cosmos, in trillions of little pieces.  

I think we should divert back to science in this thread.  One thing that amazes me is how all the cells in our body work tirelessly to keep us alive, and sacrifice themselves when a code tells the too.  

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2012, 10:43:08 PM »
Much of what you say Beet is, in my opinion, 100% correct but actually my beliefs have encouraged me to find out more about quantum physics and other scientific findings and research.

One thing I find particularly fascinating is the research into how genes work where illness is concerned
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

mrmoody

« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2012, 10:43:43 PM »
I didnt say I still believed that Beet, I was talking about my past beliefs.

mrmoody

« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2012, 10:49:04 PM »
I dont neccesarily believe having faith or a belief in God holds people back from finding out and discovering the wonders of the universe. Some scientists have faith and I know some Christians are astro-physists or believe in evolution also.

I agree that it seems quite arrogant to believe there is some paradise awaiting some of us when we die. Why not animals as well then?

Beetzart

• Karma Group
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2012, 11:05:01 PM »
Crossed wires somewhere, Alex.  My post wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, just a general observation.  I can't understand how a scientist can have faith, the two just contradict each other, surely it would just cause cognitive dissonance.

Why not animals, indeed?  Why not rivers, or mountains?  As for death, the only plausible explanation is your brain becomes starved of oxygen and can no longer function.  I think the closest explanation for it is like having a general anesthetic and never waking up.   

mrmoody

« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2012, 11:08:18 PM »
oh ok Beet.

Yes probably so and I think there is alot of comfort in that thought too when life becomes like hell.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #111 on: August 15, 2012, 07:09:32 AM »
But it is a fact that some scientists have strong faith, and I'm sure I read somewhere that for one or two their faith has been strengthened by discoveries made in modern times

I imagine death like being gently wrapped in something black, peaceful and comfortable and it can be a nice thought when life is really tough

Beetzart

• Karma Group
« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2012, 09:37:54 AM »
To me, Zaf, you're idea may depend on how you die.  Thing is you could never know because the brain would no longer work. 

How many scientists actually have faith though?  I did red some time ago that is was a small minority, and didn't include anyone of prominence.  Although a few mathematicians are very religious like John Lennox who debates scientists like Dawkins and Peter Atkins.  Atkins was the one who said 'there are two mysteries, why we are all here and why scientists have faith'.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2012, 10:42:47 AM »
It may well, we wont really know till the time comes, perhaps believing it will be peaceful is my way of not fearing it.

I'm not sure to be honest, perhaps when I have time I'll google it ;)

I shall probably continue to believe in something until someone can completely and utterly disprove it with watertight evidence

Beetzart

• Karma Group
« Reply #114 on: August 15, 2012, 03:14:57 PM »
The thing is is very hard to disprove negatives, almost impossible.  If someone says they believe in God, you can't physically disprove them, just like if I said that gnomes haven't just buried my pet unicorn on Atlantis.  I think it is just a coping mechanism, which is fine and none of my business but you require water tight evidence to disprove it which you know you will never get.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #115 on: August 15, 2012, 03:29:50 PM »
It is quite possibly a coping mechanism, but science requires proof so I would need proof too

Z xx

Beetzart

• Karma Group
« Reply #116 on: August 15, 2012, 03:30:54 PM »
That's fair enough!   =+-

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2012, 05:13:36 PM »
 =+-

camron

« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2013, 06:20:21 PM »
thee only one true religion of God and many man made religion, listern to this HQ Qari Sadaqat Ali Surah Rehman تلاوة خاشعة جدا سورة الرحمن كاملة it will give u faith, but please listen attentively

craig84

• Karma Group
« Reply #119 on: July 26, 2013, 01:19:23 PM »
I was born into Christianity, went to all the Christian schools and was even al alter boy growing up.

I do not belive in religion though, I see them as guidelines for life. all religions in their round about way speak of the same things...  treating people right, having morals, principles.....

I remember after a suicide attempt the lady opposite me in her bed was a bible basher so to speak and after conversations with them I took a gift of a bible from them and read a bit of it...
its basicly a self help book for life.

ive read into conspiracy theories a bit and made my own opinions and although everyone is entitled to their opinion mine is that having faith is important. some people have faith in god, or ganesh, Buddha whoever, but I like to think that having faith in yourself is the most important thing. how can you live your destiny in another ideals way?

good topic :)
”It’s always down to you and the choices you make. Work on the things you can change and never dwell on the things you can’t. You choose… ‘results’ or ‘excuses’ it’s always down to YOU… no one has ever given their BEST and regretted it. GO HARD NO EXCUSES.”