Author Topic: Please can you advise me?  (Read 4807 times)

bookletters

• Karma Group
Please can you advise me?
« on: October 13, 2012, 01:12:51 PM »
Hello all,
I have always responded really well and fairly quickly to antidepressants in the past (I was on Mianserin for a few years, then venlafaxin for another few years).
7 months ago, venlafaxin stopped working so the gp I saw at the time suggested a cross over to citalopram.
7 months on and despite telling the doc MANY times "this is helping my anxiety but not my depression", I get a rigid answer "okay we'll up the dose to 40" then "give it more time", "citalopram is very effective", "we'll try CBT at the same time", "it's not to going to happen overnight", "add trazadone for sleeping"....
Situation now: I am better (after having got worse for probably two months) BUT on average I get two okay days a week and the rest is tough. I am still not sleeping very well (despite taking trazadone 50 at night), some days I can't eat before night time. I haven't been able to go back to work. Some days just out to the local shops is a struggle. I have not much pleasure in doing things apart from a little bit here and there on my okay days. My mood tends to lift at night but the mornings are tough. Some days I cry my eyes out and feel I am going to be stuck like this forever!
CBT is helping a little bit but sometimes I can barely do my homework which is a shame as CBT had worked really well for me in the past!!!
My husband thinks (like I do) that because I saw a lot of junior doctors and various GPs maybe there isn't a structured plan for my recovery and no particular reason why I am being kept on citalopram. He is going to come with me to see a senior GP at the practice next week.
Has anybody been in that situation before? Do you think it's me being in a particular bad state or just sounds like citalopram is not helping? Will I ever be able to be back to my happy self? Will a change of medication made me really bad again?
Thanks for any advice and reassurance.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Re: Please can you advise me?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 01:21:02 PM »
Ive been on 40mg citralopram for about 15 months now and it really only started to help me feel consistently better a couple of months ago, this was also in combination with counselling and lifestyle changes.

ADs do stop working sometimes, Fluroxetine stopped working for me a few years ago.  Seeing a senior GP sounds a good idea, even if he doesnt feel it appropriate to change your meds he should be able to explain why.

Z xxx
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 01:22:38 PM »
Thanks for the answer Zaf!
Can you confirm that you were having the same sort of ups and down as me?
Why did the doc say you should stick with it?
In the past, I responded so quickly to AD that seeing citalopram do this is making me despair!!

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 01:28:16 PM »
Zaf your answer has cheered me up no end!
I now feel like having lunch!
The pharmacist told me yesterday my mood should have stabilised by now so since yesterday I have been feeling very down but your answer has given me hope again! Pfew thank God for people like you!!

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 01:38:53 PM »
I'm glad I could help  =+-

Yes I had lots of ups and downs but gradually the good days started increasing and the bad days mostly only happened if something out of my control upset me or I got overtired.

I find citralopram takes longer to kick in than fluorexetine used to and that I have to be on it longer to stay stable, its possible you are the same.

Z xxx

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 01:40:17 PM »
Thanks Zaf!!
Did your GP say why you had to stay on it?
I keep thinking citalopram isn't working.... did you feel like that too? xxx

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 01:45:58 PM »
Yes, I started taking it in July last year and sometime during this summer I told my GP it didnt seem to be working and asked to change but he said to keep taking it for another 3-4 months then go back if there was no improvement but I feel I'm on the mend despite having a very stressful situation to cope with 3-4 weeks ago so am going to stick with it.  He didnt say why but I dont think I asked!

Z xxx

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 01:48:50 PM »
Okay dok thanks!
How long did it take for the good days to outnumber the bad ones? After 7 months I am starting to despair as I get 2 good days for 5 bad at the moment!!!

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 02:02:47 PM »
I'd say about 9-10 months then I'd still have the occasional blip.

I used to keep a depression diary and write down how I felt every day, I found it helped a lot.

Z xxx

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 02:04:12 PM »
Thanks, I keep a depression diary too.
Going to try to see what the GP is saying then probs try to stick with it!!
Thank you for sharing Zaf xx

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 02:09:10 PM »
Its definitely worth talking to him about it

Z xxx

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 02:32:44 PM »
Thanks Zaf, will see what the doc say...

Catbrian

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 08:21:32 PM »
If I can add....  I recently went through a medication change and it was one of the worst experiences.  It does take sometime to find the best dose for you and for the meds to settle.  I think your husband has a point about there being no structure to a recovery plan.  Is there a Community Mental Health Team where you are?  They usually have a wide range of professionals who can offer guidance and support.  Maybe an appointment to see a Psychiatrist might help discuss options.

Good luck with the GP next week

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 08:30:08 PM »
I don't know about the Community Mental Health Team. Do you get referred to them by your GP?
I would love to discuss things with a psychiatrist but GP never seemed keen to refer me "we're not at that stage yet", "it's for more complicated cases".... I am like "ermmm!!!"

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 08:34:10 PM »
I can see that you can self refer to Mental Health Social Work Service in my town but what exactly do they do?
Change of meds is hell, that's for sure!!!!