Author Topic: Please can you advise me?  (Read 4806 times)

Catbrian

Re: Please can you advise me?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 09:06:47 PM »
I wouldn't listen to the GP about it being too soon for a Psychiatrist.  I'd say it's overdue.  The Psychiatrist will be part of the Mental Health Team.  They are usually made up of social workers, Nurses, counselors, and Doctors.   Look up what services are in your area.  Don't ask, tell the GP you want a referral.  Tell him it's important for your recovery.  If there are no specific mental health team, ask to see the Consultant Psychiatrist for an assessment.  They are also better placed to talk about mental health meds and explore your options

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 09:12:58 PM »
I had an assessment with someone from the Mental Health Team.
I told them I was having CBT. At time I was having a good day so didn't seem to think I needed to have anything done about the meds, it's when I have dips like today, yesterday and the day before that I start questioning whether the meds are working etc etc etc

Catbrian

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2012, 10:21:21 PM »
And this is why they say it is always important to tell them you are having a particularly good day.  I know what you mean, sometimes I've gone there feeling like a fraud.  However, it's about setting something up for the future, when things aren't so good.  Once you get your feet in the door of a CMHT and openly ask for all sorts of help, they will hopefully rally round.  You will be able to work with someone in structuring a recovery plan.  That might involve changing meds, seeing a CPN weekly/monthly, or it might mean referring you on somewhere else for specific psycho-therapy.  It really depends on where you live to what's available, but it did sounds like there is something you can wrap yourself around.  Just be more definite with the GP.  He'll be only too pleased to see you doing something positive to get better.

Good luck and keep us posted

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2012, 10:52:07 PM »
Thanks Cath!
I really need to see a different GP as I feel she rigidly wants to stick to citalopram and it's making me despair!
I don't understand why I get the odd good days then it drops again, it is so inconsistent and unlike the AD (which worked) that I have taken in the past.