Author Topic: Venlafixine, Quetiapine and Lithium - what a cocktail ?!  (Read 10344 times)

mamalou

Venlafixine, Quetiapine and Lithium - what a cocktail ?!
« on: February 27, 2012, 10:23:06 PM »
I am taking 225mg Venlafaxine ( antidepressant ) , 150mg Quetiapine (antipsychotic) and 1000mg Lithium ( industrial strength mood stabiliser) each day.

Is there anyone out there taking a combination of all or any of these drugs. Apparently, my depression is "treatment resistant" but the psychiatrist keeps on trying various things.

Personally I HATE the Lithium - I feel like I am being poisoned. It makes my eyes flash in the dark, put on weight and generally feel more depressed ( if that was possible ?!) It also gives me tremors in my hands.

The Venlafaxine makes me sweat, gives me tremors in my head and mouth and it makes me have low grade nausea !

The Quetiapine makes me "switch off" at night but gives me horrific nightmares that I have trouble working out whether they were real or not ( and drives my husband mad as for example, I had 16 nightmares in a row all which disturbed him)

Be good to hear I'm not the only nut on all these drugs ! Thanks for reading my ramblings ........

lightenup

• Karma Group
Re: Venlafixine, Quetiapine and Lithium - what a cocktail ?!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 07:35:21 PM »
Hi Mamalou, I have come off quietapine, but I am taking Mertazapine, Sertraline and just started on Lithium (1 week)..................you know what I don't know how I feel.  Finding it hard getting to sleep and then I get periods through the day when I zonk out.  I am not sure about the Lithium!!  Going for an ECG tomorrow as aparently the one I got when I was on the quietapine through something up.  Like yourself I have been diagnosed as having treatment resistant depression.  How long have you been on the Lithium, I am worried about putting on weight, as I am heavy enough
Poor is the person who takes pleasure out of the persecution of others

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 07:56:15 PM »

The Venlafaxine makes me sweat, gives me tremors in my head and mouth and it makes me have low grade nausea !

Please be aware of the symptoms of tardive dyskinesia, which may be caused by the antipsychotic. This should not be ignored.

Steve

SteveW

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 10:56:24 PM »
Sorry to hear you're having such trouble. Unfortunately most of what you're experiencing are the most common side effects of the stuff you are taking. I don't know if it will help you at all but when you feel ill on Lithium try and remember that of all the treatments for Treatment Resistant Depression Lithium has the highest success rate. Good luck
Sometimes the light is shining on me
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange, trip it's been

Holykimura

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 08:55:02 PM »
I'm on 300mg of Venlafaxine, And 600mg of quetiapine can't comment on lithium sorry, but I have nightmares and the sweats and have gained shed loads of weight. I would suggest to be careful with what you eat and exercise as often as you can. Good luck

mamalou

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 11:50:32 PM »
Just had my Quetiapine increased. Now 200mg and this is to be reveiwed.

Glad it's not just me with the nightmares and sweating however, I wouldn't with that on anyone.

I have put on quite alot of weight on the Lithium but the Venlafaxine isn't great for weight gain either sorry to be the bearer of heavy news ! ;)

What I find sad is that we are so desperate to manage our mental state that we really are at the mercy of the doctors and the medication - and then on top of it all there are so many negative aspects to the drugs too. But I suppose one consolation is that we are all in it together and no-one I know taking drugs for mental health, seems to escape the side effects. 

Thanks for getting in touch all, it really is so supportive.

eclipse

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 12:24:15 PM »
was on 300mg venlafaxine, 150 quetiapine and 200mg lamotorgine ( as a mood stabalizer) was tried on loads of other stuff re treatment resistant depression. had all your side effects, hate being on drugs so gradually coming off as depression stable for a year and cant see any effects but bad ones from drugs. still have mild depression anyway.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 11:38:32 PM by eclipse »

Beetzart

• Karma Group
  • 'Billions and billions of stars'
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 03:49:02 PM »
Hi mamalou

I too take venlafaxine (150 mg) and lithium (600 mg), plus mirtazapine 30 mg and busipirone 45 mg.  I used to get nausea when I started venlafaxine but no more and the lithium doesn't seem to do anything.  Mirtazapine is good for sleeping but gives me bizarre, vivid dreams.  Buspirone doesn't work, for me anyway.

mamalou

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 11:37:45 PM »
Thanks Beetzart. Interesting how all these drug combinations seem to differ but base around a few similar drugs.

I ran out of Lithium over the Bank Holiday weekend ! And today I have felt quite wild ! I have been out with my kids and spent a fortune !!!!! I don't have bi-polar but today I think I began to feel some of the highs associated with it ! How odd to be at my most depressed and suicidal but to be high as a kite and feeling a little bit mad and overactive !!

Saw my GP this evening and we discussed whether or not I should stay off the Lithium to see how it goes ?!?!?!? I said I would rather wait til the kids are back at school and then maybe try without.

I am scared as I feel very out of control in a depressed way and also in a high way and I hadn't realised the effect that Lithium was having on controlling my mood !!

Oh what to do ?!?!?

!"!

Buttercup

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 11:46:27 PM »
In a way it would be quite interesting to see if the high persisted or if it was a reaction to stopping the lithium.

Have the doctors ever mentioned bipolar?

mamalou

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 09:02:04 PM »
Hi,
The doctors have never mentioned bipolar directly but there has always been alot of questioning around what I have identified as "bipolar" tendancies.

Having read other posts here, I have identified strongly with the defining characteristics of Bi-polar 2 !

Oooooh I just don't know. Would prefer a definite diagnosis but am not sure I will get one !

x x

Buttercup

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 09:11:01 PM »
I only asked as my GP was treating me for depression, she picked up on some of my tendencies and said that she would like me to see a  psychiatrist as she felt that my mood went in cycles.  As it happened I then had a bad reaction to Prozac and went really manic.  She got me an emergency appointment a day later.  The Psychiatrist diagnosed me bipolar within an hour, my mood swings were traced back to when I was 13 and if I'm honest I alway knew.

I don't take Lithium, I take Lamotrigine instead.

I hope you get answers soon, the not knowing is terrible.

xxx

mamalou

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 09:48:28 PM »
That's so interesting - thanks.  :)

I took Lamotrogine for a while but couldn't tolerate the nausea - then I started on the Lithium - which has made me totally detatched.

Funnily enough, like you, my problems with mood started when I was 13 / 14 years old and I have cycled rapidly since then. A bit wierd feeling that you know what might be wrong but that no-one else (medical / therapeutic ) seems to pick up on it ?!

Am ranging between wild and suicidal within moments.   :'(

Desperate, desperate, desperate, desperate.......................................................................

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 09:56:19 PM »
Maybe you could ask your gp for a referal to a psychiatrist to get a proper diagnosis.  I do not know much about bi-polar but by what buttercup and you have said it does seem very similar symptoms.

You should not have to suffer this way.

&*(

S x 
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Buttercup

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 09:59:01 PM »
Yeah, no that desperate feeling.

I never sought any help until late last year. I'd had never been able to work for more than 6 months without having, what turned out to be a manic episode. Then everything fell apart big time.  When I did seek help my GP picked up on it really quickly. Once I told my GP things I had kept secret I was diagnosed in a week and a half.

Really hope things get sorted for you xxx