Author Topic: Corona virus tests  (Read 1776 times)

Amanda_George

• Please be gentle with me!
  • Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
    • Amanda's ultimate navigation to all her webpages
Corona virus tests
« on: August 14, 2020, 11:25:51 AM »
Had to have my first ever Coronavirus swab this morning, in preparation for going in to hospital for a procedure on Monday.

For the last few days my anxiety about it has been through the roof but it wasn't as bad as I'd been dreading... I'm glad I didn't eat before I went though, 'cos the throat one made me gag.  I didn't throw up and it didn't hurt though so it's all over and done with now.  I'd suggest having a totally empty stomach of solids before you go and not drink anything that dehydrates your throat (alcohol and caffeine) before you go and have it - stick to water and fruit squash and pop and stuff.

I've got through it though and it's over and done with now and I'm the most nervous person you can get with medical stuff (I used to scream when I had a smear, I look away when I have blood tests or jabs, I cry just as I'm being given a general anaesthetic, I was too anxious for my endoscopy so had to be given a GA for that too etc etc), so if I can come away from it knowing that my anxiety was pointless, then so can you!

If you are told you need to have a Covid swab, definitely go for it... just don't eat or drink anything caffeinated before you go is all.

So so proud of myself now.
Money talks, chocolate sings!  :-D

May your life be as pleasant as you are.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Re: Corona virus tests
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 04:40:16 PM »
Rick had a test done recently before having a colonoscopy done and he said more or less the same as you - fortunately he hadn't eaten before going and was sensible what he drank.  I agree that it's worth having just on the basis of checking for COVID-19.

Amanda_George

• Please be gentle with me!
  • Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
    • Amanda's ultimate navigation to all her webpages
Re: Corona virus tests
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 06:01:35 PM »
Had Rick been advised not to eat before he went for his?  The only reason I didn't was that 'cos someone on Facebook said that it made them throw up so I didn't want to risk it just in case.  I hadn't had anything to eat since yesterday lunchtime and I'd only had a couple of mouthfuls of squash to take my morning pills this morning, fortunately, but if I had let my throat go dry then it could have been a different story with the throat swab!
Money talks, chocolate sings!  :-D

May your life be as pleasant as you are.