Author Topic: Reducing medication  (Read 9078 times)

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Reducing medication
« on: January 10, 2020, 06:00:30 PM »
About a month or so before Christmas I had an appointment at my surgery as I was getting really fed up with falling without any apparent reason.  Everything was okay except I was advised to have a medication review as I take Gabapentin, Tramadol, and Amitriptyline then I was told a few days later that I would need to go back for another blood test to keep an eye on my thyroid. 

Last week I went along for a medication review with a doctor I haven't seen before and explained the falling issue for the reason why I wanted the review.  Her bright idea was to reduce tramadol to 1 four times a day instead of 2 four times a day and cut the Gabapentin to one a day instead of 1 three times.  I am less tired now - I was tired all the time before - but it has had a knock-on effect with pain but I have given up on voluntary work as I wasn't enjoying it anymore.  Now I'm getting a lot more rest so less pressure on my joints.  I had my blood pressure taken, an ecg and blood taken yesterday so it will be interesting to see if anything wrong with my thyroid and I have another appointment with the doctor next week.   

Amanda_George

• Please be gentle with me!
  • Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
    • Amanda's ultimate navigation to all her webpages
Re: Reducing medication
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 11:25:07 AM »
WTG on reducing the meds, but sorry to hear about your pain.

I swear by TENS machines for pain anywhere on my body except my head (so headaches, toothache, earache etc) - I used to be suicidal for a week every month because of the pain of my Endometriosis.  The TENS machine was the only thing that stopped the pain and I haven't looked back since!  Start off with a cheap and cheerful machine that you used to be able to get on Amazon for £20 just to see if it helps you even slightly then if it does, definitely invest in a more expensive one.  I say about getting a cheap one first just in case it doesn't work for you and obviously have a word with your doc first, just to be sure it's safe for you to use but I swear by them now!
Money talks, chocolate sings!  :-D

May your life be as pleasant as you are.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 06:36:09 PM »
I've had a look at tens machines just now and I am seriously thinking about getting one.  After being on certain meds for so long I didn't realise how much they were affecting me on a daily basis.

Amanda_George

• Please be gentle with me!
  • Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
    • Amanda's ultimate navigation to all her webpages
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 10:03:57 PM »
Have a word with your doc first and if he/she agrees, maybe ask if they've got one you can borrow for a while then return to them?  That way you haven't spent any money at all and will know for sure if it works for you.  If it *does* work for you then it's definitely worth saving up to get a more expensive one 'cos, IME, you really do get what you pay for with them!
Money talks, chocolate sings!  :-D

May your life be as pleasant as you are.