Author Topic: TRD - Treatment resistant depression - how do you cope?  (Read 7139 times)

Becky83

• Karma Group
TRD - Treatment resistant depression - how do you cope?
« on: March 03, 2011, 04:48:56 AM »
Hi

Not many people have posted in this part of the forum so thought I would give it a try.

I've been on several different antidepressants as well as add-ons (antipsychotics) which are supposed to (at low dosages) boost the effects of antidepressants. Although current research on this has shown minimal positive results.
There is a lot of new research into TRD that shows scientists are now trying out different approaches such as using thyroid medication and also ADHD medication to improve major and long term depressive states and episodes. Because apparently these types of medication also effect sertonin in the brain and taking these along side or as add-ons to normal antidepressants can, like antipsychotics, improve the effect of them in the brain.

As I have already tried the antipsychotic mode and found even on  minimal doses that I was left like a vegitable and very tired and sleepy. Not a good outcome when I struggle to get out of bed and motivate myself anyway.

I wondered if anyone else had any knowledge or experience of using thyroid medication or ADHD meds to improve depression? I would like to show my Pdoc some research into this but don't know what type of response I would get.

I believe most of the websites that discuss research done on the above have been American. So again, perhaps bringing in research papers to my Pdoc would not be a good idea.

I know that in the USA they use Wellbutrin but in this country it is only licensed for people trying to quit smoking.

I read this with interest ;

"Anti depressants can also lower the levels of thyroid hormones in the body, so the doctor will check the levels of thyroid hormone in his patients’ body after a month or so of using the medication. Some of the most common types of antidepressants that can lower thyroid hormone levels include Paxil, Prozac, Lexapro and Zoloft to name but a few."

From: http://www.healthsituation.com/thyroid-and-depression-discover-the-link-between-thyroid-problems-and-depression/2008/05/04/

Can I post links on here? Sorry if not.

George

• Karma Group
Re: TRD - Treatment resistant depression - how do you cope?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 10:54:19 AM »
Hi Becky

Sounds like you have been through a good number of anti-depressants!!! Do you have a preference to one, did you find anything particularly effective. If so then I'd love to know, I do appreciate knowing before I take a new tablet and I suspect that they'll change what I'm on next week.

Hope what you're on at the mo' is working for you ;)
To you I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.
Woody Allen

SteveW

• Karma Group
Re: TRD - Treatment resistant depression - how do you cope?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 08:02:11 PM »
If you want a complete list of all the treatments that there is any evidence for Try 10th Edition of Maudsley Hospital Prescribing Guidelines. If you want to get to the original research articles I think they are available online but dont have the link. The book costs about £20 or your library could get it for you. Good luck with finding a treatment that works for you- there are a lot of them !

I also suffer from drug resistant depression so would be interested in knowing how you get on

Love

Steve Wellam
Sometimes the light is shining on me
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange, trip it's been