Author Topic: PayPal emails are on their way around again... be careful!  (Read 1456 times)

Amanda_George

• Please be gentle with me!
  • Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
    • Amanda's ultimate navigation to all her webpages
PayPal emails are on their way around again... be careful!
« on: August 08, 2018, 07:21:27 PM »
I've got a PayPal account, linked to my bank account and I had what looked like an authentic email from what honestly seemed to be PayPal yesterday so I clicked on the link to confirm my email address was still active or something.

AVG popped up and said "this seems to be a scam because it's not the genuine PayPal site.  You sure you want to continue?" so I clicked no and ran as fast as I could away from the site.

I've just had the same email, again from somewhere who have done a very good job of faking the email from PayPal, but it was sent to an email address that has never been associated with PayPal and I learnt my lesson from last night.

Be on the lookout for these emails doing the rounds again and please do not click on the link within the email.  If you aren't sure it's real, manually go to the PayPal site, type in the URL yourself and see if there is anything within your account from the genuine PayPal.

I had something similar from Amazon a year or 18 months ago and AVG saved my account details again then.

Unless you are expecting an email from them (because you've bought something or whatever), do not click on unexpected links like I did yesterday and invest in a good quality anti-virus and anti-malware programme.  Free ones are better than nothing, yeah, but if you can afford it then definitely invest in one. Yes, it can be expensive but that £50 or whatever each year has, potentially, saved me thousands in 24 hours as well as protecting me from viruses, malware and ransomware... I couldn't be without it now!

I swear by AVG but there are others out there.

Be careful out there... don't let the scammers take you for a ride like they almost did with me last night!
Money talks, chocolate sings!  :-D

May your life be as pleasant as you are.