Author Topic: People to talk to....  (Read 3079 times)

EmLou210

• Karma Group
People to talk to....
« on: October 21, 2013, 06:50:37 PM »
Hi Everyone.

I suffered from depression during my 2nd and 3rd year of uni. I'm now on my 2nd year of a postgraduate course. And although i'm supposedly "cured" as some might say I'm feeling feeling pretty down recently.

I live in the countryside in the middle of nowhere with my mum. Me and her are pretty close but i've never found it very easy to talk to her. Even though we've lived here for 3 years now, i don't have many friends in the area and all my other friends are busy with their own lives.

I find it very difficult not having someone I can talk to who understands. I think my mum thinks I'm a bit of a drama queen or just craving attention, but i can't help feeling down so often. I guess I just thought I'd join to be able to talk to people who understand and see if there's anyone else out there in a similar situaion

Thanks

Emma

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Re: People to talk to....
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 07:37:14 PM »
Welcome Emma,

I have always been closer to my dad than my mum whose favourite descriptions of me were drama queen and moody.  People can and do get better after suffering with depression but on the other hand something can trigger it's return even though you may not realize.  Nobody will judge you here.

Allan_T

• Karma Group
  • Always willing to help those in need
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 07:51:13 PM »
Welcome Emma,

Ahh, I understand where you're coming from, I have lost all my friends, and only have two people who speak to me 'frquently' I know what it feels like to be alone, due to circumstances I am living with my dad, and I too find it hard to speak to him, I guess, I just want someone who isn't family, someone from outside to reach out and speak to me, to ask how the day is, hell, even if they offer to play online monopoly would be something!

Things will rise though, for instance the courage to come here is good, as Pip said, we wont judge you here, we'll try out utmost best to help, and if you just want a banter about how much you want to poke your pencil in your tutors hand, we'll listen to you, and we'll talk to you.

We'll give you all the support that we have at our arsenal =] anytime you wanna chat, just post in a forum, send a private message to someone. I'm sure no-one here will disregard your feelings, even people who are hurting them'selves will offer you their ear, and their words.

Welcome to our little family Emma =]
Starting with a smile, can make everything worthwhile

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 01:22:16 PM »
Hi EmLou, welcome to the forums.
Depression can come in many shapes and forms, it sure isnt a one size fits all kinda thing.

you are doing well handeling a postgraduate time at uni, what is your major?

living in a remote location can also have negative impacts on life, were you in a town befor moving there?
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

EmLou210

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 08:52:34 PM »
Thanks stewart. I'm studying scriptwriting, which may not seem like it but is pretty difficult.

I lived in a city before and was really starting to like living in the centre of so many things, so i think moving to the remote countryside was a real shock and i've never really adjusted. Not sure I ever will fully to be honest. It's okay for now, but I'm just really hoping that at the end of my course I will be in a position where I can move somewhere else.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 11:47:26 AM »
Hi again Emma,
Scriptwriting, seeing some of the junk / bloopers and gramatical errors on tv and movies I don’t think they used qualified script writers at all, (though in some cases it could be the production team not doing a cut and retake of some scenes)

Any particular style you prefer to write a script for?

EmLou210

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 07:04:04 PM »
I prefer to write for Theatre and tend to write Dramas, I'm not so good at comedy

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 12:31:33 PM »
i once wrote a Blakes 7 story that would have been great turned into a movie.

Becky123

• Karma Group
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 10:17:18 PM »
Hi, welcome to the forum! You have definately come to the right place to find people to talk to that understand.

fighting_the_tide

• Karma Group
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 09:16:39 AM »
Hi and welcome.

Depression is a rather large umbrella that covers a lot of emotional lows/numbness/conditions etc - so the best we can truly hope for is finding a way to manage it that suits us. Even my GP has said that even when it seems like we're coping with it, it can come back in cycles - and he seems reasonably clued up as he'd suggested to me that it was better that I didn't over rely on anti-depressants (for psychological reasons) - so I'd be more likely to believe he's one of the good ones.

With people who understand what depression can do - it can build friendships (albeit online for the most part) - and it can certainly put a caring touch to some words.

Words on a screen may not seem like a lot - but to many they can be the difference between being alone or being heard. Hope we can help you around here, even though I'm a relative newbie to this one.