Author Topic: Invested in some goldfish today.  (Read 2125 times)

captainkeefy

• Karma Group
  • What's that?
Invested in some goldfish today.
« on: March 27, 2013, 08:09:43 PM »
Hi All,

Invested in a couple of Orandas today. I'm going to take one back tomorrow as its not got two tails.

Then I'm going to start their medication tomorrow.
Affectus, qui passio est, desinit esse passio simulatque eius claram et distinctam formamus ideam.

Emotion, which is suffering, ceases to be suffering as soon as we form a clear and precise picture of it.

Catbrian

Re: Invested in some goldfish today.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 11:16:54 PM »
Lovely, I also have a 10 gallon cold water tank with 1 fantail, 3 London Shabunkins, 2 Black Orandas, and 2 miniature fancies.  I have live plants in mine, which is a recent addition to the 20-yr casual hobby.  They take considerable work to keep clean but it is a lovely focal point in my living room.

Good luck with yours.  You should be careful with water temp and quality of water by using a dechlorinator.  You can't go wrong and the kids love em.

captainkeefy

• Karma Group
  • What's that?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 10:56:34 AM »
I love goldfish, I'm a carpaholic. My tank is 21 gallon. I used to have my 21 gallon in the living room and then a 50 gallon tank in my kitchen. My oldest goldfish I bought in 2005 and he's probably about 7 inches long. I used to use my 21 gallon as my meds tank. I had 5 commons in my 50 gallon and 2 or 3. Then I built my 450 gallon pond  0053.

I put all the commons in there and bought some more and 3 koi. Within a little while the koi died. When I fished them out they had chemical burns on them. I took them to my local aquatics place with a water sample and they said the ph was extremely high. So I drained the pond, turned out some of the sealing paint I'd used to seal the pond had split and the water was absorbing stuff out of the concrete. So I put in a liner. Then put all the fish through a course of meds. Once back in the pond I kept my eye on the para's and bought 3 female English bred goldfish, they are beautiful. They look like submarines in the pond. They are twice the width of the imported goldfish.

One of these Orandas only has one tail so I'm going to take it back. Once I have two fish I'm happy with I'm going to start a cycle of salting the water which treats external parasites. Then I'll do a course of discuss wormer plus for internal parasites. That also treats gill flukes. You should see me in pets at home, I drive my wife mad "that's got fluke, that's got ick, that's got a anchor worm, that's got swim bladder."  I also tend to be able to spot the pedigrees that get big quick. 0158

My ambition is to bred them, but the guy in the aquatics place said to leave them in the pond and they will do it on their own. But I want to raise the fry!
Affectus, qui passio est, desinit esse passio simulatque eius claram et distinctam formamus ideam.

Emotion, which is suffering, ceases to be suffering as soon as we form a clear and precise picture of it.

Leo

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 11:13:45 AM »
I've got a tropical set up. We have a Siamese fighter, Bristle nosed plec, neon tetra, glow light tetra and black widows.
I am only me. That is all I can be.
No more, no less, don't second guess.
I love, I live, I laugh, I cry.
I've wished sometimes that I could die.
Some days I'm funny, others I'm not.
Sometimes I'm in overdrive, and I can't stop.
You may not like me, but that's ok, because this is me and how ill stay.

captainkeefy

• Karma Group
  • What's that?
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 04:47:22 PM »
I love the Siamese fighters.

So I've done my third water change in four days. I changed my one tailed Oranda and ended up with one with three tails, I think this looks pretty cool personally. I've started their salt course today, I've put the salt in the tank upto 0.1% which will get raised to 0.3% over the next 24 hours. I've started feeding them pea today, probably keep them on pea for the next 7 days. I'm considering feeding them bloodworm for one feed a day for a week after that and sinking pellet once. I have a big barrel of daphnia in the back garden, been considering feeding that to them but I'm not sure as this might give them an illness, don't want to feed them anything that hasn't been screened.

I'm going to have to order some more discuss wormer plus which is going to be a pain, however I find any fish that's treated by a course of meds tends to last ten times as long as one that hasn't. I won't be adding to this tank now as I find it helps to keep a closed system. Will just keep to a weekly water change.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 04:50:09 PM by captainkeefy »

sprinkle (jo)

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 09:04:59 AM »
hi
i no nothing about fish but they sound cool
my brother said the other day that maybe i should get some fish, apparently they are theraputic, i have these maoments where i just atare in to space my lil bro says i need some thing to concernrat on....
what do you think xx

captainkeefy

• Karma Group
  • What's that?
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 11:18:19 PM »
Hi there sprinkle,

Having fish can be quite a lot of work. I would say they are very therapeutic but they are a lot of work. I would suggest to get tropical fish as a starter because they create the least waste but I would recommend reading up on fish keeping before you buy anything. I personally would say they can be as hard to keep as a cat or dog.

Catbrian

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 11:24:16 PM »
Captk I don't understand why you are doing so many water changes and so many medications and such a varied diet.  I've never done a fraction of this and my fish live long lives.

captainkeefy

• Karma Group
  • What's that?
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 11:42:12 PM »
Basically because I've spent months of my life researching how to care for goldfish. In total I have about 15 goldfish, most live in my pond but they used to live in my house in two tanks

Grandma

• Karma Group
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 10:59:07 PM »
Hi

I'm afraid closest I get to fish is two salmon fillets in the freezer!

I have heard that they are relaxing to watch; my son had a couple of goldfish, they must have been a really hardy breed though as they survived despite his care! He called them 'Gold' & 'Fish', really imaginative my son.

Ideally I would love a small dog, but until we are settled, it wouldn't be fair.