Author Topic: Aromatherapy.....  (Read 6642 times)

nickynoo

• Karma Group
Aromatherapy.....
« on: November 05, 2011, 01:36:22 AM »
This has been posted elsewhere in the forum, I hope you don't mind but I thought it may be better to have a separate topic highlighting this subject

I'm studying aromatherapy as part of my course at the moment and we've been learning about the essential oils and their benefits to health.....the following essential oils may help you.

German chamomile - Good for anxiety, nervous bowel conditions, insomnia....excellent for relaxation.
Clary sage - Very good for depression.
Geranium - Good for balancing extremes - hormonal or emotional, good uplifting oil, helps anxiety, nervous tension, stress and depression.
Grapefruit - Stimulating/uplifting effect on body so helps depression, nervous exhaustion, fatigue.
Lavender - relaxing oil that can help with insomnia (be careful however as this oil can have a stimulating effect if too much is used), good for shock and depression.
Lemon - Uplifting properties.
Lemongrass - Good for nervous exhaustion.
Margoram - Good for insomnia.
Neroli - Good for anxiety, depression, stress, shock, palpatations.
Rose bulgar - Uplifting properties, good for depression.
Rosemary - Very good for mental fatigue and general fatigue.
Sandalwood - Very good antidepressant properties.
Ylang ylang - Helps with nervous tension, anxiety, panic attacks, irritability and insomnia.

There may be other oils that can help with things too, we only learn 15 oils on my course as it is a NVQ level 3 which consists of different massage techniques including the preblended aromatherapy.

Its probably a good idea to see a clinical aromatherapist before you start to use these oils, the oils can be very effective when used properly however they can cause problems if used incorrectly. A clinical aromatherapist may also be able to mix a blend individual to your needs to use at home.

Not only can the oils be absorbed thru the skin during a massage, they can also be used in oil burners, air sprays, candles, pot pouri, baths, body lotions, tissue under the pillow for night time use etc.

Hope that has been beneficial :)   

Got

• Karma Group
Re: Aromatherapy.....
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 05:30:50 PM »

I am very interested in this kind of stuff. How do people know that it works? I am ignorant of this subject, is there scientific evidence suggesting that it works, or are they just cultural beleifs? I have always loved the smell if sandlewood and lavendar, and it feels to me they have a calming effect.

Lol

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 05:39:52 PM »
If you love those smells and they make you feel calmer then it works!

Aromatherapy is VERY proven! You can see it everywhere. Ever seen a baby stop crying as soon as it is passed back to it's mother? Ever smiled when you got into bed with clean sheets? ever felt soothed walking into a coffee shop?, Christmassy when you smell cinamon and spice?

It isn't all essential oils, it can be anything at all that you enjoy the smell of!

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 05:44:57 PM »

I see what you mean, smell has a psychological component. But how do we know what smells are good for certain ailments?

Lol

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 05:50:56 PM »
I don't know. I guess I don't necessarily believe in that. But I most certainly do believe that improving mood and psychological wellbeing whilst decreasing stress cortisol will have a positive effect internally. physically and mentally.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 07:03:51 PM »
Its partly the smell but its also the various properties from the different plants that are concentrated in the oil which are absorbed through your skin or inhaled when used in a burner.  For instance fennel oil used as a massage or in a bath has a diuretic effect, as with most natural remedies different oils are more effective for some people than others.

Its a fascinating subject, as is herbalism :)

Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 08:26:52 PM »
I'm trying vetivert oil tonight to see if it will help with the insomnia, I'll report back on my findings .....

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 08:31:28 PM »

Yeah, if it works I might give it ago, isomnia and i are old foes

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 08:52:08 AM »
I slept better last night,  I did wake up a few times but managed to get back to sleep afterwards which isnt normally the case,  I'll see what happens tonight :)

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 09:54:07 PM »
I rubbed some on my wrists about 20 minutes ago and feeling very sleepy, it would be great if tnis stuff works :)

If I disappear in mid conversation you'll know why ;)

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 07:50:24 PM »
I'm not sure if its a placebo effect or not but although I'm still waking up occasionally from about 2am onwards I am managing to go back to sleep rather than laying awake for hours :)

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 07:55:04 PM »
I might give it ago

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 08:08:32 PM »
It might be worth a try Stevie, a lot of people use lavender but I'm allergic to it  ::)

The one I'm using is supposed to be calming as well as for insomnia, apparently different oils work better for different people, I'll ask Wendy which other ones are good if you're interested in trying oils,  she did say that sometimes a blend works better but so far I'm trying them one at a time.

Laura

• Karma Group
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 07:28:02 PM »
I see an aromatherapist about 8 times a year. I wouldn't swear that the oils make a difference but I do love the nice relaxing massage. I think I will try to book my next one!
Tea please, decaf, with milk and a sweetener.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 08:06:09 PM »
I think if the person uses the right oils they can be very useful, I've used oils myself for years and found some definitely do what yhey are supposed to, but I definitely agree that the massage is a wonderful relaxing experience, I've got one booked in about a fortnight and really looking forward to it :)