Author Topic: How do I get past the need to binge?  (Read 6268 times)

scardeycat

• Karma Group
How do I get past the need to binge?
« on: September 24, 2011, 08:40:57 PM »
Those who have read my post in the newbie section will know that this isn't a good time for me - I'm as low as I've ever been. But seeing this section, I have to ask - how do I get past the need to binge eat? I've been diagnosed with an a-typical eating disorder because I can qute easily go for days at a time without eating. I live alone and making the effort to make something to eat is just too much.
At the moment, I'm doing quite well on that side of things. I'm generally having 2 'meals' a day. I use the inverted commas because my idea of a meal is at the moment egg on toast! It's food though.
The thing is that I binge eat, and although I desperately want & need to lose weight, I can't stop binge eating. I use the word need because I don't actually WANT to binge eat I just don't feel like I have any free will over it at all.
I've tried not buying the stuff I binge on - but I just go out and buy it! I've been known to go to the supermarket at 3am just to buy chocolate. At the moment, I'm not purging - which I know is a positive thing! But, I feel guilty that I'm not purging, that I'm bingeing at all. I just don't know how to stop. I know some of it is a comfort thing, and it's a comfort thing in relation to the stress that I'm currently under. It's not helping my weight problem though. My confidence level is directly connected with my weight - so when I am as I am at the moment, and heavily over weight, my confidence is lower. So, how do I get past this need to binge? I've had CBT in the past, but didn't gel with the therapist. All she ever told me was that I needed to have 3 regular , balanced meals a day. I know all the theoretical stuff. That's not the issue! It's the behaviour that is the big problem for me. Does anyone have any views on how best to tackle it? My doctor is aware, and does what she can, after many years of asking, she's put me on the anti obesity drug. I know it's not going to be working at it's best when I'm bingeing though. I just don't know how to stop bingeing. In itself that is making me feel worse about myself. I feel so stupid that I can't stop doing something I know is so bad for me. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Lol

• Karma Group
Re: How do I get past the need to binge?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 09:08:54 PM »
Gosh I'm sorry Scardeycat I'm not the best person to advise on this but I understand it is a very troubling problem for you and if you want to talk about it some more here you are more than welcome to it sounds very stressful and frustrating.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 09:12:11 PM »
I sometimes binge too but I dont know what the answer is I'm afraid
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

smirfy21

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 12:07:10 AM »
I hate to say it but I really don't think there is an answer and the person that comes up with the answer to this would be a very rich woman.
hold in there
smirfy

Munchroom

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 11:27:47 PM »
Hi Scardeycat... a lot of your post seems familiar and I'm afraid I don't have the answers  :-\ I'm not big, but I am absolutley terrified of putting on weight... (I've lost quite a lot through my depression) I, like you, can go for days without eating a proper meal... but I find when I start to worry about my weight, like I have been obsesivley over the last few days, I'll binge....  :-\ It makes NO sense and I just feel like I am going around in circles! The temptation to purge is very strong, especially at the moment  :(
This too shall pass.