Author Topic: Hello  (Read 2167 times)

AJ

Hello
« on: July 17, 2011, 10:41:03 AM »
Hello....

Well for the first time in my life last week I was told by my Doctor that I am suffering from depression. I guess it didn't really come as a great surprise to me I haven't exactly been happy for, well, sometime now. But having it confirmed I guess just made it feel so real....

I've always been someone who has been able to cope with what ever problems have been put in front of me, but over the last couple of years I've not been able to cope, and it's gradually got on top of me.

My Doctor gave me 3 options, 1 - was medication 2 - was councelling 3 - both! I've opted for the councelling first, if that doesn't help then I will consider medication.

Anyway, just a quick 'about me' and thanks for listening/reading.

A

Munchroom

• Karma Group
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 12:36:14 PM »
Hi AJ and welcome  :)

I really hope the couselling works out for you - keep us all inforned

Nay x
This too shall pass.

AJ

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 06:48:37 AM »
Hi, yeah me too. It's all new to me so I have no idea what to expect from it. A good friend of mine is on anti-depressents and she reckons I would benefit hugely if I started taking them. Problem is i'm Italian, well half of me is, which makes me a stubern fool who wont admit when there's something wrong. It took me 2 years to admit I had high blood pressure and now after much nagging from my wife mum and dad, and Doctor I have finally started taking medication. Anyway I will try out this councelling first and go from there, I think i'll need it this week as I think i'll be losing my job, so one more thing to add to the ever growing list of things that is going wrong for me at the moment.

Munchroom

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 12:06:14 PM »
From my own experience I can say that medication does help. Like you, I am very stubborn and I tried to hide my depression from everyone for months before I was finally talked into going to the doctors - but by that point, I have no idea how I was still carrying on, I was a wreck!

The thing about anti-depressants, from how I understand it, is that they are not a 'cure'. To recover fully you need to address everything in your life that has brought you to this point - thats where counselling comes in. Anti-depressants just make everything seem a little more manageable - but that is really so you can bring yourself out of bed in the morning and start to tackle everything else.

I'm sorry to hear about your job. The uncertainty of that can't be helping at the moment.
I know its hard to look at positives, but at least if you don't have to worry about going to work you can focus on yourself and getting better - I understand fully how being out of work brings its own worries and stresses, but nothing is more important than your health. Before I got ill and during the phase when I was hiding it from everyone around me I had it set in my mind that I could not afford to be ill! Both myself and my partner worked full time and at that point I couldn't imagine how we would cope just going down to one wage. But that was 11 months ago and I have just started back working very very part time. You do find ways of coping when you need too, you and your health are the most important thing here, everything else can be put on the back burner until you are strong enough to get back out there again.

x

« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 01:07:14 PM by Munchroom »
This too shall pass.

Poppyhead

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 06:10:18 PM »
I too, have just joined this forum and trying to come to terms with being diagnosed with depression. I have been reading a lot on the net today and it's surprised me to hear phrases like "I usually smile and get on with it" or "I hide away and don't let on to anyone" because that's exactly what I have been doing for the last two years! I still don't want to believe it and certainly do not want to take Fluoxetine which I have been prescribed. I will return to the doctor tomorrow to talk about this medication again. I have a feeling I will have to take them because of the overwhelming negative feelings I have and right now awful anxiety. Anyone taking Fluoxetine or had experience with it? Would welcome some feed back. Thank you

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 07:12:46 PM »
Fluorexetine had no effect for me but no side effects either, different ADs work well for some people and not others so it may well be that they work well for you.

I think a lot of people that have depression diagnosed for the first time really don't want to take medication but it usually makes recovery quicker so don't discount it completely
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

AJ

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 03:40:08 PM »
Hello...erm...again!

Apologies for not coming back here sooner... :(

Anyway have been seeing a counsellor for a couple of months now on a weekly basis and, yes, it has helped, but still having 'problems' so have been told that I will, if things don't improve in the next two weeks, have to go to stage 2 of the counselling and this will be with a different counsellor as the guy I'm seeing now has gone as far as he can with his capabilities.

So, that should be fun... ::)

A

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 03:59:19 PM »
At least they arent just giving up after a few sessions, let us know how things go xx

AJ

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 02:05:14 PM »
At least they arent just giving up after a few sessions, let us know how things go xx

Thanks, will do.

To be honest I'm not sure what can be done, I'm a stubbourn fool and haven't admitted to myself there's a problem. I refuse to admit that I am depressed even though everyone around will say that I am.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 02:15:45 PM »
One of the first steps to recovering from depression is realising and/or admitting we have the illness

Raven

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 10:04:01 AM »
One of the first steps to recovering from depression is realising and/or admitting we have the illness

Wise words. Hello AJ from another newbie.