Author Topic: S.A.D  (Read 5663 times)

David Peters

S.A.D
« on: November 13, 2022, 02:58:02 PM »
Hello everyone

I'm after feedback regarding S.A.D lamps. Has anyone here used one before? if so what's your experience been like?

I suffer from Depression all year round but also experience SAD as well, and thinking of investing in a SAD Lamp.

Many thanks

David

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Re: S.A.D
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2022, 09:47:40 PM »
I hope someone who has used a S.A.D. lamp responds as I haven't used one even though I suffer with it.  My problem is I don't sleep well anyway and it irritates me when my husband puts the hallway light on to go to the bathroom.  He doesn't like the dark so I tend to take a breathe and not say anything.

Amanda_George

• Please be gentle with me!
  • Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
    • Amanda's ultimate navigation to all her webpages
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 08:35:14 AM »
Welcome along, David.

I used an SAD lamp for a while but it didn't really help me, so maybe I gave up too soon?  Maybe ask your doc about trying 5-HTP - it works within minutes and you can take the one I use up to 3 times a day, but I've found that one single dose works for about 2-3 days for me.  Check with your doc before you try them though 'cos they interact with certain prescriptions and illnesses.

Money talks, chocolate sings!  :-D

May your life be as pleasant as you are.

David Peters

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 07:37:02 PM »
Thank you for your reply. I've heard of 5HTP and it's available here in the UK without a prescription however my GP and mental health team are against the use of any other supplements/herbs while on antidepressants. What I'm wondering now is whether it is best to come off the meds and try something like 5HTP or stay as I am which is increasingly getting worst. The problem is there's no one here who would support me if I go down the 5HTP etc route. 

stuck, confused and lost at the moment..

David

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2022, 07:35:04 AM »
It has to be your decision, but it was a CPN that suggested the 5-HTP to me when I had to come off the Citalopram because of an allergen in the new recipe, but I couldn't be without it now.

It's very sensible that your MH team don't want you to take it while you're still taking the ADs... my team didn't even mention it while I was on the Citalopram, but since stopping it and getting the Citalopram out of my system, it really has saved my life.

I was on the Citalopram for about 20 years and it didn't help me at all and my MH team didn't believe me so I had to keep taking it and living with the suicidal ideation and attempts.  Right from the very first pill of the 5-HTP I haven't been that low at all... as soon as I feel my mood plummeting, I pop a 5-HTP and within minutes my mood has lifted and I'm back to being the person that I should be again.

You know you better than anyone - be honest with your team but please do NOT take ADs at the same time as 5-HTP.

David Peters

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 01:40:29 PM »
Yes, you are right, I have to decide for myself and I think I already have. The AD's haven't done anything for me apart from putting on loads of weight.
I won't mix them with anything else and wait until I can safely come off the AD's before trying anything else. 5HTP sounds very impressive and it's good to hear how effective they've been for you.

Can I ask which one you use and what dosage? I know everyone is different and what works for one may not work for another but it'll give me some idea.

Many thanks

David

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2022, 08:49:43 AM »
Yup, the Citalopram made me put on weight too, but that's dropped away too because I've had more motivation to stumble around the house since coming off them too.

I'll PM Pip now to hopefully get her approval to give you the link to the 5-HTP I use... it's one of the rules to not post links without Pip's prior approval, so assuming she approves, I'll put the link on here for you as soon as I can   :happy0158:

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2022, 08:58:21 AM »
I've just seen Pip's approval so the link that I use for the 5-HTP is https://www.simplysupplements.co.uk/5-htp-100mg

David Peters

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2022, 12:14:28 PM »
Thank you  :happy0158:

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2022, 02:37:35 PM »
If you decide to try it, I hope you get as much benefit from it as me but please don't take one until your medical team say that it's OK and that your ADs are out of your system or whatever.  It'll be a very rough road while you're not taking anything, but hopefully you will get as much benefit from it as I do.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2022, 05:34:30 PM »
I was taking citalopram for a few years as well but came off it for the same reason that it stopped working for me.  T take sertraline now and am persevering at the moment as I got to rock bottom during COVID with being 'a vulnerable adult' as is Rick, my husband, to the point of not wanting to even go shopping.

The main problem with anti-depressents, I believe, is your system getting used to them.

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2022, 08:53:49 AM »
I totally understand 'cos I'm considered to be vulnerable too and I haven't been to a supermarket since the Summer of 1999 and getting my eyes tested - I'm totally reliant on the internet for everything now and the only time I've left the house since the start of COVID has been for medical appointments and a funeral, but the house has been a constant in my life since I got physically ill then disabled in 1999.

I hope the Sertraline works for you, but if not, maybe ask your medical bods about trying 5-HTP too 'cos the ones I take can be taken up to 3 pills a day, but I've not needed more than 2 a week in the last 18-ish months that I've been taking it and that was around what would have been my father's 80th birthday if he hadn't died the day after our 8th wedding anniversary combined with SAD and I think I was going through a rough patch with my physical health too.  I haven't even approached being suicidal since taking the 5-HTP and it was a constant companion of mine for over 2 decades on the Citalopram!

David Peters

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2022, 08:34:25 PM »
I've been on several ADs and none of them has done anything for me. I also take Olanzapine which has helped but the weight gain is causing me other issues, I have really bad Sciatica and the extra weight causes me too much pain. I want to scrap these meds and look at more natural supplements, 5HTP sounds really good and I'm also looking into herbal remedies as well. I have a Doctor's appointment coming up soon and will run this all by them before I start anything new.

David 

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2022, 10:36:56 AM »
I take Olanzapine too - gone from 15mg a day while I was in hospital almost 2 decades ago down to 7.5mg - I tried to get it down to 5mg but I started getting paranoid which almost led to a psychotic episode so 7.5mg is gonna be my dose for a good while yet.

I don't know if there are any natural remedies for psychosis, but maybe just introduce one at a time to see how you get on?

David Peters

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2022, 08:14:02 PM »
I didn't realise you could take Olanzapine with 5HTP, it must be the ADs that cause problems. If I can get the go-ahead to come off the ADs and still keep the Olanzapine while introducing 5HTP that's definitely what I would like to do. I take the extra weight over being paranoid again.

Take care

David