Author Topic: Cage-fighter ex-lover, 36, is charged with stabbing to death beautician, ....  (Read 1514 times)

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8347423/Man-36-charged-murder-beautician-32-stabbed-death-daughter.html

Cage-fighter ex-lover, 36, is charged with stabbing to death beautician, 32, in front of her 13-year-old daughter

Andrew Wadsworth from Wigan due to appear at Manchester Magistrates' Court
    He allegedly stabbed Melissa Belshaw to death at her home in Wigan Wednesday
    Greater Manchester Police revealed last night that two men tried to stop the attack
    One of the men, in his 40s, taken to hospital after being stabbed but he is stable

By James Gant and Harry Howard For Mailonline

Published: 10:35, 22 May 2020 | Updated: 11:52, 22 May 2020

Ms. Belshaw's mother Jean Mulvaney branded the killer a 'monster', adding she had lost the 'most important person' in her life. She said if she did not also have two sons she would have taken her own life 'to be with Melissa'.  Officers found Ms. Belshaw with 'catastrophic' injuries, but despite the efforts of paramedics, pronounced her dead at the scene.  Ms. Mulvaney told the Sun: 'She was a beautiful child and the most important person in my life.  Now some monster has taken her away from me. My two sons Lee and Nathan are distraught. If it wasn't for them I wouldn't be here now I'd be with Melissa.'

The mother added she hoped 'we get some justice now' as she revealed Ms. Belshaw had planned to open her own beauty shop.

Superintendent Chris Bridge last night praised Ms. Belshaw's daughter for her actions in calling the police.  He told the MeN: 'This lady's 13-year-old daughter was present at the time. As a result of her contacting the police, we were able to attend and arrest this man.  I cannot possibly imagine what this girl is going through. It must [have been] a horrendous experience.'

Neighbour Adam Rawlings, 22, said he saw a man breaking the glass on the door of Ms Belshaw's home using a golf club while the mother could be heard screaming.  He said: 'I heard these loud noises and when I looked I could see [a man] was smashing the glass on the door with the golf club.  The lady came out of her house and moved up the road and I heard her daughter shouting, 'Call the police.'  It was like there was a scream for every blow and it went on for about two minutes it was absolutely terrible.'

Another neighbour, Chris Parr, 35, earlier said the victim's daughter ran outside calling for help following the incident.  Ms. Belshaw's stepmother Lisa Belshaw paid tribute to the mother-of-one, saying the beautician would 'do anything' for her teenage daughter.  She added: 'She was lovely. She is going to be so sadly missed. I got a phone call saying a man had gone into her house and stabbed her. I had no idea she had died until I read it on Facebook.'

Close friend Leanne Fairhurst described Ms Belshaw as 'caring and lovely'.  'She had a good heart,' she added. 'She was so outgoing and was always smiling and loved a good time. When we used to go parties, Melissa was always the one trying make everybody laugh.'

Ms Fairhurst said she was still in shock at the news of her friend's death.  She added: 'Someone told me what had happened and I did not believe it so I rang her, but her phone was off. I just broke down in tears when I found out. I have lost a good friend and I am going to miss her so much.' 

A scene remained in place in Upholland Road while investigation work was carried out.  One witness, who has asked not to be named, said he saw two men fighting next to the One-Stop shop, near the junction with Crank Road.  He added: 'They both fell into the middle of the road. I had to swerve around them.  The man on top looked to be trying to stab the man on the floor with a large knife. By the time I had passed police were at the scene.'

Detective Superintendent Jamie Daniels said: 'Firstly our thoughts are with the lady's loved ones after this absolutely tragic incident.  We will offer them full support and do all that we can to provide them with much-deserved answers.  Our thoughts also remain with the man who is currently in hospital and receiving treatment. Our specially trained officers will continue to support his family at this difficult time.  Clearly this investigation is in its very early stages and we are working to ensure that we follow every line of inquiry.  We understand that this news will likely cause concern among the local community but I would like to stress that at this stage we do believe this to be an isolated incident.  There will be a higher police presence in the area and I would encourage anyone with any concerns to please speak to these officers who are there to offer support and help.  I would also urge anyone with information to please get in contact with us as even the smallest detail could progress our investigation significantly.'

A scene remains in place whilst investigation work is carried out, police said.  Anyone with information should call 101 quoting incident number 1981 of 20/05/20. Reports can also be made to the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously on 0800 555 111.