Author Topic: Encouraging Words  (Read 7916 times)

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Encouraging Words
« on: February 18, 2015, 11:08:44 PM »
Today's Verse
From the New Living Translation
"Our lives are in his hands, and he keeps our feet from stumbling.  You have tested us, O God; you have purified us like silver.  You captured us in your net   and laid the burden of slavery on our backs.  Then you put a leader over us.  We went through fire and flood, but you brought us to a place of great abundance."  ~  Psalm 66:9-12

Encouragement for Today

Our lives are in God's hands. He allows difficult things into our lives to test and purify us. If we trust in God through it all, even crying out to him for help, he will bring his abundance. Wherever you are in this process, remember that it is a process with a promised end: "a place of great abundance." Claim this today!  ~  by Diane Eble, author of Abundant Gifts: A Daybook of Grace-Filled Devotions

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Encouraging Words
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 04:36:46 PM »
Friday, January 16, 2015   

Today's Verse From the New Living Translation
"'When the poor and needy search for water and there is none, and their tongues are parched from thirst, then I, the LORD, will answer them.  I, the God of Israel, will never abandon them.  I will open up rivers for them on the high plateaus.  I will give them fountains of water in the valleys.  I will fill the desert with pools of water.   Rivers fed by springs will flow across the parched ground.  I will plant trees in the barren desert cedar, acacia, myrtle, olive, cypress, fir, and pine.  I am doing this so all who see this miracle will understand what it means that it is the LORD who has done this, the Holy One of Israel who created it.'"  ~ Isaiah 41:17-20

Encouragement for Today

These verses depict desperation for the very thing that sustains life, the thing we can't do without for long water. Desperate circumstances often drive us to God. What does God do for us in our parched spiritual state? He comes in to "fill the desert with pools of water." Abundance and blessing are what God loves to give. He loves to do miracles especially miracles of provision for his people. Can you live today as if this were true? (It is!)  ~  Diane Eble, author of Abundant Gifts: A Daybook of Grace-Filled Devotions

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Encouraging Words
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 06:22:40 PM »
Thursday, February 12, 2015   

"It is senseless to pay tuition to educate a fool, since he has no heart for learning."  ~  Proverbs 17:16

Encouragement for Today

This verse speaks clearly and directly to parents of college aged children: Don't waste your money on your child if he or she does not have a heart for learning. But the broader principle is: You can't really help someone who does not want to be helped. Providing your good resources to someone who does not know how to use them wisely is wasteful and pointless. This principle can inform not only your parenting but your giving as well. The recipient must have the heart to use your resources wisely.  ~  Diane Eble, author of Abundant Gifts: A Daybook of Grace-Filled Devotions

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Encouraging Words
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 04:13:43 PM »
Wednesday, March 25, 2015   

"This is what the LORD says:

'Be just and fair to all.  Do what is right and good, for I am coming soon to rescue you and to display my righteousness among you.  Blessed are all those who are careful to do this.  Blessed are those who honor my Sabbath days of rest and keep themselves from doing wrong.  .... For this is what the LORD says:  I will bless those eunuchs who keep my Sabbath days holy and who choose to do what pleases me and commit their lives to me.  I will give them within the walls of my house a memorial and a name far greater than sons and daughters could give.  For the name I give them is an everlasting one.  It will never disappear!'"  -  Isaiah 56:1-2, 4-5

Encouragement for Today

Refusing to work on the Sabbath is right in there with keeping from doing wrong. How easily we ignore this issue of not working on the Sabbath! What the Sabbath is really about is trusting God rather than our own efforts. We cease our own "work," recognizing there is a limit to what we can do on our own. This kind of trust is precious to God. It is demonstrated by keeping the Sabbath, and God eagerly rewards such an attitude. See what happens when you try not working and leaving all up to God one day a week.  -  Diane Eble, author of Abundant Gifts: A Daybook of Grace Filled Devotions

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Encouraging Words
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 06:18:16 PM »
Wednesday, April 01, 2015   

"The high and lofty one who lives in eternity, the Holy One, says this: 'I live in the high and holy place with those whose spirits are contrite and humble.  I restore the crushed spirit of the humble and revive the courage of those with repentant hearts....

I have seen what they do, but I will heal them anyway!  I will lead them.  I will comfort those who mourn, bringing words of praise to their lips.  May they have abundant peace, both near and far,' says the LORD, who heals them."  - Isaiah 57:15, 18-19

Encouragement for Today

God lives in a high and holy place, yet, incredibly, he invites the humble and repentant to be there with him! And he refreshes those who repent with assurance that they are forgiven and welcomed. If there is anything you need to repent of today, do it now. Confess to God. Let him forgive and heal, comfort and strengthen you. Clearly he desires to!  - Diane Eble, author of Abundant Gifts: A Daybook of Grace Filled Devotions

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Encouraging Words
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 05:32:19 PM »
Thursday, June 18, 2015   

"This is what the LORD says: 'Don't let the wise boast in their wisdom, or the powerful boast in their power, or the rich boast in their riches.  But those who wish to boast should boast in this alone: that they truly know me and understand that I am the LORD who demonstrates unfailing love and who brings justice and righteousness to the earth, and that I delight in these things.  I, the LORD, have spoken!'"  - Jeremiah 9:23-24

Encouragement for Today

What we "boast" of reveals where we stake our identity. Most people stake their identity on what they do best or on what they possess (verse 23). God says to base our identity on knowing him and understanding what he is like. What is he like?

He's a God who demonstrates unfailing love, and brings justice and righteousness to the earth. Not only that, God delights in these things. It gives him pleasure. As we know him, we share in his nature. We too gain pleasure from love, justice, and righteousness. Our identity is rooted in his nature, in his delight.  - Diane Eble, author of Abundant Gifts: A Daybook of Grace Filled Devotions

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Encouraging Words
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 10:50:36 PM »
Tuesday, August 04, 2015   

"Now may the God of peace make you holy in every way, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless until our Lord Jesus Christ comes again. God will make this happen, for he who calls you is faithful." -  1 Thessalonians 5:23-24

Encouragement for Today

Always remember that God is at work in you. We do our part, yes Paul tells us in the prior verses what that part is. But it's not a striving to earn Gods favor or achieve holiness on our own. It's a result of being in close connection with Jesus and being filled with the Holy Spirit. And holiness involves the whole person; body, mind and spirit become whole in Christ. God will make it happen, not you! Isn't that reassuring?

We can rest in this, as Paul urges elsewhere. This is the Good News that God does it, not us! -  Diane Eble, author of Abundant Gifts: A Daybook of Grace Filled Devotions

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Encouraging Words
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 01:38:40 PM »
Wednesday, August 05, 2015   

"But let us who live in the light be clearheaded, protected by the armor of faith and love, and wearing as our helmet the confidence of our salvation. For God chose to save us through our Lord Jesus Christ, not to pour out his anger on us."  -  1 Thessalonians 5:8-9

Encouragement for Today

There is much in the Bible about how God will bring judgment and destruction on the world for turning its back on God. But we who believe will be spared. Our confidence in our salvation is our spiritual protection, along with faith and love. Let these truths and virtues protect and sustain you today. You are saved! God will never pour out his anger on you! He has already redirected it to Jesus. For you who trust this is so, he has only love and grace.  -   Diane Eble, author of Abundant Gifts: A Daybook of Grace Filled Devotions

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Encouraging Words
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 08:32:32 PM »
Thursday, August 13, 2015   

"So we keep on praying for you, asking our God to enable you to live a life worthy of his call. May he give you the power to accomplish all the good things your faith prompts you to do."  -  2 Thessalonians 1:11

Encouragement for Today

Note the source of power here: it's God, not us. Don't even attempt to be your own source of power. We have no power; we need to plug into the Source. When we do, he creates faith in us to prompt us to do certain things and then gives us the power to do it. What a free way to live! No "ought to's" but "want to's," because if it's of God, it will be born of faith, our relationship with him. God is the only one who can enable us to do anything, by his power. Never forget that!  -  Diane Eble, author of Abundant Gifts: A Daybook of Grace-Filled Devotions

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Encouraging Words
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 07:55:39 PM »
Tuesday, September 01, 2015   

"Now may the Lord of peace himself give you his peace at all times and in every situation. The Lord be with you all."  -  2 Thessalonians 3:16

Encouragement for Today

We can experience peace no matter what happens because God himself gives us his own peace. God never worries, never has any problems, because he is good and in control of everything. As you trust in his control and character, you can share in the peace of God himself. If there is some area of your life where you don't experience peace, can you entrust that to God right now?

Picture yourself giving it to him to handle, right now. Envision him taking it from you, and handing something back instead: peace. His own peace, as a gift.  -  Diane Eble, author of Abundant Gifts: A Daybook of Grace-Filled Devotions

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Encouraging Words
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 10:10:32 PM »
Wednesday, September 02, 2015   

"Don't let them waste their time in endless discussion of myths and spiritual pedigrees. These things only lead to meaningless speculations, which don't help people live a life of faith in God. The purpose of my instruction is that all believers would be filled with love that comes from a pure heart, a clear conscience, and genuine faith.  We know that the law is good when used correctly. For the law was not intended for people who do what is right. It is for people who are lawless and rebellious, who are ungodly and sinful, who consider nothing sacred and defile what is holy, who kill their father or mother or commit other murders."  - 1 Timothy 1:4-5, 8-9

Encouragement for Today

What is God's law for?

It's to convict people of sin, to show what is right, to expose evil for what it is. God's law is not meant to be a yoke or a cause for pride. We're not meant to dissect it and argue endlessly over its fine points. When you read God's Word, let it be cause for you to cultivate a pure heart, a clear conscience, and a sincere faith. That, and the love that grows from it, is the whole point, Paul says.  -  Diane Eble, author of Abundant Gifts: A Daybook of Grace-Filled Devotions

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Encouraging Words
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 05:32:26 PM »
Wednesday, September 09, 2015   

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' says the LORD. 'They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. In those days when you pray, I will listen. If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me. I will be found by you,' says the LORD. 'I will end your captivity and restore your fortunes. I will gather you out of the nations where I sent you and will bring you home again to your own land.'"  -  Jeremiah 29:11-14

Encouragement for Today

God's plans are always for good, though sometimes we need to go through difficulties before his good plan is fully realized. A big part of his plan is for his people to know him. That is at the heart of all God's purposes. Do you believe God has a good plan for your future?

Are you earnestly seeking him?

If you are still "in captivity" somehow, seek God and believe he has a good plan. Seek him at every step, and wait patiently for his deliverance. Your fortunes will be restored!  -  Diane Eble, author of Abundant Gifts: A Daybook of Grace-Filled Devotions

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Encouraging Words
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2015, 01:45:57 PM »
Thursday, September 24, 2015   

"'O Sovereign LORD! You made the heavens and earth by your strong hand and powerful arm. Nothing is too hard for you! You show unfailing love to thousands, but you also bring the consequences of one generation's sin upon the next. You are the great and powerful God, the LORD of Heaven's Armies. You have all wisdom and do great and mighty miracles. You see the conduct of all people, and you give them what they deserve.' .... "'I am the LORD, the God of all the peoples of the world. Is anything too hard for me?'"  -  Jeremiah 32:17-19, 27

Encouragement for Today

When Jeremiah prayed, he focused on who God is and what he has done, putting his recent actions buying the field into the perspective of God's dealings in the past. When you pray, do you do that?

First focus on God who he is and what he has done and then express your current reality in light of those things. Try it! And notice that when God answered Jeremiah, he mirrored part of Jeremiah's prayer, affirming that indeed nothing is too hard for him. Remember that especially! - Diane Eble, author of Abundant Gifts: A Daybook of Grace Filled Devotions

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Encouraging Words
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 09:21:53 PM »
Friday, October 02, 2015   

"Do not waste time arguing over godless ideas and old wives' tales. Instead, train yourself to be godly. 'Physical training is good, but training for godliness is much better, promising benefits in this life and in the life to come.'"  -  1 Timothy 4:7-8

Encouragement for Today

Be mindful of how you invest your time and energy. Some things are a waste of time (e.g., arguing over godless ideas). Some things are good but not best (physical exercise is good, spiritual training is best). As you plan your day, week, and life be aware of what is a waste, what is good, and what is best. Do all you can to eliminate the worthless and spend the bulk of your time on the "best." When it comes down to "good" or "best," choose "best." And "best" is always spiritual, because the source of most things is, in fact, spiritual.  -  Diane Eble, author of Abundant Gifts: A Daybook of Grace Filled Devotions

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Re: Encouraging Words
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 08:28:20 PM »
Tuesday, November 17, 2015   

"Some time later, the LORD spoke to Abram in a vision and said to him, 'Do not be afraid, Abram, for I will protect you, and your reward will be great.'"  - Genesis 15:1

Encouragement for Today

God's promise to Abram here is twofold: protection and reward. Aren't these some of our deepest desires?

We long to be safe, secure, free from fear. We also long to be rewarded, to see good come from our actions. These are desires God wants to fulfill! If you desire these things, do not feel that you're unholy. God puts these basic desires in us so that he can fulfill them. But we must look to him alone as the source of our fulfillment. He took the initiative to act. We need to receive but only from him.  - Diane Eble, author of Abundant Gifts: A Daybook of Grace Filled Devotions