Author Topic: Kind of new  (Read 2909 times)

solo

• Karma Group
  • One day I'll discover who I really am
Kind of new
« on: February 07, 2015, 10:25:04 PM »
Hi everyone.
I say that I'm kind of new here as its been about 3 years since I last posted anything so I'm sure that people won't remember me.
I'm really struggling at the moment. If only I could sleep all day, I wouldn't have to cope with how I'm feeling. I don't feel like I can confide in anyone as I think that people won't want to be around someone who is depressed. I just put on a brave face through the day for the sake of my family but I feel like I'm dying inside. I can't find enjoyment in anything. I've barely been out the house this week, which I know is not good for me but I really don't want to have to talk to anyone. Pretending that everything is ok is so tiring.
I hope its ok for me to come on here just to put down in words how I'm feeling, as I find it sometimes helps. I've been diagnosed with depression now for 8 years and I'm hoping that one day I will be free of it. Surely I can't live with this forever? I need to enjoy life before its too late. I've spent far too much time feeling low and down on myself.
I'm taking sertraline 100 mg daily but I don't think that the meds on their own are enough. Does anyone have any advice on how effective counselling is?
Many thanks
SoLo x

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
Re: Kind of new
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 02:37:09 PM »
Hi Solo, welcome back.
counseling does work well for some people, I would say it depends if there is any connection between yourself and the councilor
just like some doctors treat us as an individual rather than just a number.
you are right that forcing yourself to put on a happy front can be very draining, at least on here you can say how you feel and no one will think bad of you.
Sertraline is just one of many anti d's around. best to talk to your doc, sometimes a change in meds, ir a combination of meds will help.
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

SteveW

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 04:28:08 PM »
There is certainly plenty of evidence that counselling can be effective in depression. NICE who make recommendations based on the research recommend psychological interventions for people with mild depression and psychological interventions and drugs for moderate and severe depression. So they figure that psychological methods have value however deep the depression.

Getting referred will involve a trip to your GP. While you are there I would consider asking for an increase in Sertraline dose. 100 mg is way off the maximum dose and you might get some improvement on a higher one. Best of luck.
Sometimes the light is shining on me
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange, trip it's been

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 10:32:33 PM »
Of course you're welcome back.  Counselling can help but it is also worth talking to your GP about meds and he / she may suggest something different or a combination of meds.

solo

• Karma Group
  • One day I'll discover who I really am
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 11:17:04 PM »
Thank you everyone. I will get myself to my gp to talk about counselling and my current medication.

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 12:33:48 PM »
see if there is a MIND office close to you, they have great support workers
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water