Author Topic: Lost My dream job due to depression.  (Read 3501 times)

Miller2912

Lost My dream job due to depression.
« on: January 18, 2015, 03:27:05 PM »
Hi all,

Ive had depression on and off for about 4 years now and am currently taking Fluoxatine 40mg to keep me happy.

My dream job was to be in the police and wanted it my entire life. I just turned 24 and decided to apply as there was a large recruitment campaign going on. Anyway I passed my fitness test, standard entrance test, initial interview, assessment center and final interview and was given a probationary offer of appointment to start on the 19th of January 2015. So you can guess my excitement of finally getting what I want in life. I passed my final fitness test and substance misuse test. I then had my uniform fitting which got me even more excited. Only thing left was my medical on the 12th of Jan. I passed all aspects of it until the doctor took one glance at my medication and said no. Well my world has been turned upside down. Not only have I lost my dream job but now I have no job as I had already left my initial one and I'm fearful this will put myself into a deeper depression  :-\
There is no appeals process and I am lost. Honestly dont know what to do.

Thanks for listening

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Re: Lost My dream job due to depression.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 08:40:00 PM »
That is a horrible thing to happen.  General health should be the first thing they should be checking and I include mental health / medication.  However I don't believe anybody should be 'written off' before they start a job just because they are on medication.  The fact that you have held down a job and take medication should be proof enough that you can cope in the police.

Grace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 10:26:08 AM »
I'm afraid there's very little to say BUT IT'S JUST NOT FAIR!!!!!
People just can't be stranded like this ..... just for a condition that can be temporary and that can be dealt with, taking the right medication.
I'm really sorry Miller and I do hope you can find an even better job. I know I'm perhaps being too positive, especially in this time of job crisis, but I really wish you the best because you have really been treated badly, something you did not merit!

Grace

Fig

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 12:40:58 PM »
I don't know how it is where you are, but here in the States, this is illegal! We have the Disabilities Act which prohibits discrimination due to any illness or disability. You cannot be denied work because of this.

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. Can you find any legal recourse?

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 01:31:08 PM »
welcome to the forums Miller,
sorry to hear they knocked you back because of the meds,
stew
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

Miller2912

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 11:07:01 PM »
I'm from Scotland and I have no idea what the laws are. I will be getting some legal advice soon though as I think its disgraceful. Made me feel i'm a bad person!

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 02:46:18 PM »
I think the discrimination laws are the same in Scotland as they are in the rest of the UK.
Unfortunatly there are ways an employer can get around this by simply saying they found someone more suted for the job
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water