Author Topic: Flupenthixol and Sertraline  (Read 2814 times)

Lulubobs66

• Karma Group
Flupenthixol and Sertraline
« on: December 14, 2013, 07:26:05 PM »
Hi, wonder if anyone can advise me, I've been taking sertraline and flupenthixol since 1997, I am sure that they aren't working as well and haven't been for a few years but everytime I have been back to the doctors and psychiatrist the medication they have tried me on hasn't suited me.  I know I don't tolerate amitriptyline etc well and seem to suit more of the uptakers I think, I don't know enough about it however but would like to go back to the docs with an idea of what might suit me and one that I can either take with or go straight onto from the other.  I've often found that the people who experience illnesses such as we all do know more than the doctor!  Any advice would be most welcome.  I also take co codomol for pain as I have fibromyalgia.

Beetzart

• Karma Group
  • 'Billions and billions of stars'
Re: Flupenthixol and Sertraline
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 04:00:38 PM »
Hi Lulu.  I have always had problems with drugs not working.  I am due to be put on sertraline tomorrow with mirtazapine after two years on venlafaxine.  Venlafaxine is a powerful drug but it is hard to withdraw from without professional help so it is not something I would recommend unless it is a last resort.  Have you tried fluoxetine, paroxetine, or citlopram?  Citalopram is one I found very tolerable but there isn't much dosing scope.  It pooped out on me after four years.  One med you may or may not have heard off is lofepramine.  It was the first AD I ever tried and is a tricyclic but is safer in overdose.  Is is only indicated for depression as far as I know but I had no problems with it.  It is also less sedating then other tricyclics. 

It is hard to suggest anything really when the final decision rests with the doctor.  I have found they don't like patients deciding for themselves what they would like to take.  Better to politely suggest and leave it at that. 

Hope you find something suitable.

Beet