Author Topic: Changing antidepressants  (Read 3120 times)

Beetzart

• Karma Group
  • 'Billions and billions of stars'
Changing antidepressants
« on: November 18, 2013, 08:16:54 PM »
I want to ask the pdoc if I can get rid of venlafaxine and mirtazapine and introduce a tricyclic like imiprimine.  Would I have to taper of the current drugs before starting the new one or could I just switch straight away?

Thank you

Colin

Grace

• Global Moderator
Re: Changing antidepressants
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 08:22:15 AM »
Hello Colin,
I wonder why you need, as you say, to get rid of Venlafaxine! It is a very good drug which I have taken for many years with good results but had to change it because it seemed to stop working about a year ago, but would look forward to go back to it in the near future as I have not found a better one!
Imipramine is one of the "older" drugs ..... but you would surely have to follow your doctor's instructions besides Venlafaxine and Imipramine do not belong to the same group so I don't think they can be interchanged.
Cheers Colin! Let us know how you're doing!
Grace

Beetzart

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 04:35:46 PM »
Hi Grace,

I am wanting to stop venlafaxine, because like with you, it has stopped working.  It did a really great job over the last year, but it has 'pooped out' as they say.  Ideally I would like a tricyclic that can do the job of venlafaxine and mirtazapine without 'pooping out', help me to sleep, and not lead to me putting weight on.  I suspect the pdoc won't take any notice.  I know I have been feeling suicidal and that tricyclics can be lethal in overdose, but it is another avenue to try for getting into remission again.  So I would have a choice: suicide or try a new pill.  I'd always try the new pill. 

Thanks

COlin

Grace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 07:45:01 AM »
Hello again Colin!

I wouldn't in the first place go to the pdoc thinking that he won't listen to me ....... try to list all your symtoms and calmly be yourself as you tell him how you feel ..... let him judge whether the meds are working or not .... let him be the doctor as he is somehow in charge there! I understand though your feelings but if you try to ask for help from the doctor maybe he/she is bound to listen to you...... another thing ...... let him choose the medication ..... though we read things on the net we're not in a position to choose as we just don't have the knowledge!!
So cheers Colin!! I wish you the best!!!
Grace

Beetzart

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 12:12:37 PM »
Hi Grace,

I know what you are saying is right, but I have learnt over the years you have to ask to get, if you see what I mean.  He can always say no, and I respect that but if something isn't working then a change is surely needed.  I remember when the internet first came about my GP didn't like patients getting ideas from it with regard to their treatment, self diagnosing, etc.  Now they just have to accept it; there is too much information that it can't be ignored.  There is a lot of good info especially what wikipedia cites and places like patient.co.uk, even the NHS website is pretty comprehensive and actively tells you what you should tell your GP if your symptoms match. 

At the end of the day I am the one in this body, with this brain, so I have to have some say in what I would prefer to use for an illness I have had for years.  I just hope he offers something, that is all really.  I respect his clinical judgement with regards to this.  I regularly asked, well once or twice a year, for med increases or new pills.  It is about a 50/50 split as to whether they agree or not. 

Cheers

Colin

Beetzart

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 04:47:15 PM »
Nice doctor I saw today who is taking me off venlafaxine and olanzapine, to be replaced by sertraline.  Both to be tapered off.  He warned me that venlafaxine withdrawal is not nice and the worst amongst the ADs.  So I have to drop 75 mg to 300 mg for a week then ring my CPN to tell her how I am getting on.  If it isn't too bad then I may be able to withdraw quicker if not he said he would prescribe some diazepam to get through the worst of it. 

I am coming off the olanzapine because of weight and diabetes issues.  It didn't really do much to be fair.  Everything else to stay the same.

Grace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 11:18:31 AM »
Hope it's going well with you Colin!! Just dropped in to say hello!!

Grace

Beetzart

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 01:12:20 PM »
Cheers Grace,

I feel weird in a detached sort of way.  That and flu like symptoms along with some nervousness.  But apart form that it's going as expected.  I think I will have to ask for some diazepam, don't know why the pdoc didn't prescribe me some the other day.   

Colin

Grace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 11:51:52 AM »
Do get whatever can help sail through this time!! In fact I always keep some of these medications at hand for "unexpected" moments!
Keep it up! And I really hope the change will make you feel better!

Grace