Author Topic: fluoxetine and pregnancy  (Read 3012 times)

em89

• Karma Group
fluoxetine and pregnancy
« on: September 08, 2013, 07:45:52 PM »
hi
I've been on fluoxetine for 2 years (January 2011) and there's a good chance i am now pregnant. I've tried googling info  on  antidpressants  and  pregnancy  but  it's  starting  to  worry  me  as  its  all  about  the  harmful  effects . Im  ready  to  come  off  them  anyway  but  i  know  you  have  to  do  this  slowly  and  im  worried  the  pills  will  harm  the  baby.
has  anyone here been pregnant while on antidepressants or had a partner who was? any advice - and reassurance - would be great . Im happy  to come  off  the  tablets but  know  i can't  do  it  quickly and that's what's worrying me.
thanks.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Re: fluoxetine and pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 10:10:24 PM »
Sorry I can't offer any advice, have you spoken to your GP about your concerns?

craig84

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 03:32:10 PM »
they usually ween you off them but speaking to your gp is best.... they will have the best advice.

they may lower your dosge for a week or over 2 weeks
”It’s always down to you and the choices you make. Work on the things you can change and never dwell on the things you can’t. You choose… ‘results’ or ‘excuses’ it’s always down to YOU… no one has ever given their BEST and regretted it. GO HARD NO EXCUSES.”

Leo

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 01:44:16 PM »
My GP said if I ever intended to get pregnant she would swap me from trazodone to fluoxetine as it's safer. I think they prefer you to be on nothing but she said they have many pregnant women on anti depressants so there are options for you.
I am only me. That is all I can be.
No more, no less, don't second guess.
I love, I live, I laugh, I cry.
I've wished sometimes that I could die.
Some days I'm funny, others I'm not.
Sometimes I'm in overdrive, and I can't stop.
You may not like me, but that's ok, because this is me and how ill stay.

Grace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 08:17:06 AM »
A person from my family was pregnant with twins and still kept taking antiDs and all went well ...... only when the kids were born they had to ween them off the antiDs themselves because they went into their bloodsteam as well. But it was no big deal ..... the twins are now two very jolly healthy children.
I don't know what she was taking throughout her pregnancy, I think you need to be followed by psychiatrist rather than just a GP to be on the safe side.
All the best!!!
Grace