Author Topic: Anybody take losartan?  (Read 3025 times)

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Anybody take losartan?
« on: August 09, 2013, 06:54:33 PM »
I have been taking Ramipril for about 3 1/2 years and found out yesterday that it can cause a cough.  I've had a cough that has got progressively worse since I first taken it but didn't didn't put two and two together until yesterday.  Anyway I was able to get an appointment this morning to have a chat with the doctor to get his opinion.  I was a bit apprehensive because he isn't one that I usually see.  He is inclined to think there is a connection so has prescribed Losartan.  The doctor wants to see me in 3 - 4 weeks to see if it's made any difference.

Has anybody else taken Losartan and if you have have you had any side effects? 

SteveW

• Karma Group
Re: Anybody take losartan?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 07:42:01 PM »
I haven't taken it but I gave it to my dad for 4 years. He took an ACE Inhibitor like Ramipril but he developed a bad cough and his GP swapped him over. He did develop a side effect - anaemia- but this was treated quite easily. But when I read the Patient Information Leaflet I did take note of one thing. It listed depression as a side effect. It didn''t say how often this occurred.

I did what I always do, look it up in the Electronic Medicine Compendium. As drugs go it didnt have a massive list of side effects. Here is the link to the relevant document.

http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/8320/SPC

Basically it did its job well. My dad never went down with depression.
Sometimes the light is shining on me
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange, trip it's been

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Re: Anybody take losartan?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 02:57:11 PM »
Thanks Steve, my husband is doing an exercise program twice a week for 8 weeks in all which is arranged by a cardiac nurse through the Heart Foundation.  On Thursday she went through heart medication so I went in to listen as she doesn't mind.  That's how I found out so she advised me to go to the surgery for a chat.