Author Topic: Change in medication  (Read 4010 times)

Aspirer

Change in medication
« on: April 19, 2013, 12:52:46 AM »
Hi guys,

Hope you are all keeping well.

I have not been on here for a while.

In February, I visited my GP and had to fill in a quiz and explain my symptoms. In light of this assessment, I was diagnosed with moderate depression and prescribed Fluoxetine tablets. Having been on the tablets for two months, they did improve my mood but not anywhere near enough to say I felt totally better. Due to this, I visited the doctor today and he has given me a stronger anti-depressant drug called citalopram. Can anyone advise me on whether they have taken this drug and whether it works for them? How can I also adopt my lifestyle in accordance with this?

Thank you.
“Don't underestimate your worth by comparing yourself with others.”
― Jaachynma N.E. Agu, The Prince and the Pauper

Catbrian

Re: Change in medication
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 05:57:55 PM »
I took Citalopram for years and know there are many people on this Forum who have used it with success.  I'm not so sure any antidepressant will make us feel totally better.  At best, they seem to improve our symptoms but I don't know of anyone who has completely "recovered" by medication alone.  Good luck, I hope it goes well for you

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 06:07:25 PM »
i was on citalopram for several years, just cahnged to sertraline (this change was only so the doc could give me amytryptaline as they dont mix well with citalopram)

didnt have any nast side effects other than the drowzy feeling mid afternoon
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 08:42:08 PM »
I was also on Citalopram for a few years and it worked well, but after a time it stopped working for me so had to change.  I think medication can help to a certain degree but I think counselling or the like along with meds helps more.

S x x x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Aspirer

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 09:43:16 PM »
Thanks guys.

I am taking my tablets at night to try and avoid the drowsy feeling.

Everyone has told me counselling won't work as depression is caused by a chemical imbalance. How true is this?
“Don't underestimate your worth by comparing yourself with others.”
― Jaachynma N.E. Agu, The Prince and the Pauper

Catbrian

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 04:41:25 PM »
I've just been doing a little research into the different types of depression.  Like you, I always thought depression is caused by a chemical imbalance. However, this turns out to be unfounded.  Experts don't know enough to be certain.  What they do suspect is that there is some kind of imbalance, which antidepressants can target.  However, this is not the sole reason for depression.  It would seem the reasons for depression come from a number of factors.  I have just been writing information on the forums front page.  If you visit the front page, down the left hand side, there is a menu that includes "Understanding Depression". If you click on that, it will give information on the causes, symptoms and recovery.  This is the link to the front page. I hope you find it useful.
http://www.depressionforums.co.uk/

What I would like to add is that talking therapy, alongside medication, is a particularly good treatment for depression.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 08:30:27 PM »
Everyone is different but I personally found good counselling along with medication has helped me.

S x x x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 02:35:41 AM »

Depression is a term used for people when they are suffering low mood. There are many different causes and presentations. Despite what has been said on here, there is a lot of research that has been performed investigating the role of biochemicals within depressive illnesses. To say it is unfounded is as vague a statement as the term ''chemical unbalance'' itself. It is so ambiguous that it infers little meaning.

Talking therapies can be very good treatments, and I highly suggest that you consider it if it is available.

FreyaD

• Karma Group
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 09:23:02 PM »
Hi Aspirer,

I was on citalopram for about two weeks and then had to come off it because I wasn't sleeping due to it, so a side effect could be that it keeps you awake rather than makes you drowsy! Just a warning for you there!!

I am now on escitalopram, having just come off mirtazapine, but when they first prescribed it they also prescribed a strong sleeping pill so I didn't have the same problem I had with citalopram

As for counselling, I started today so we'll see how that goes but I'm a bit skeptic

Anyway, good luck with the new meds and the changeover, I know how tough they can be

Take care xx

Catbrian

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 01:19:18 PM »
You're quite right FreyaD, Mirtazapine made me high and I didn't sleep for days.  that's the trouble with antidepressants, they affect everyone differently.

Wilcocks123

• Karma Group
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 07:12:43 AM »
Morning Everyone

Last month I have just changed my medication from Citalopram to Cipralex / Escitalopram as I felt I had become tolerant to Citalopram.  I was on 30mg of Citalopram and the Dr prescribed me 20mg of Escitalopram.  However, and I honestly do not believe it the Pharmacist has given me the wrong dosage and directions advising I should take 10mg.  I went to the Pharmacy yesterday who confirmed that they had made an error!! I feel so much better but will take the 20mg dose as per the Dr guidelines

I also take prescription Co-codamol for arthritis (I am only 40) and milk thistle to aid my system.

This is the first time in years that I feel the medication is working and the 'cloak' that covers me, dulling my feelings is not there.  I am new to the forum and that is the only way I can describe how I feel, it isn't a scratch you can scratch, a pain or anything I can pinpoint, it is an overwhelming feeling of flatness despite have everything that I have wished for.

I never thought I would suffer, and thank god I have a husband that is so supportive.  It does make me sad to think how much I must have taken it out on him, I suppose it must be so difficult to understand if you have never suffered.................

Wishing you all a really good day, thanks for listening xxxxxx

Wilcocks123

• Karma Group
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 10:10:53 AM »
POO feeling flat today after feeling so good!!! GGGRRRRR