Author Topic: Mirtazapine  (Read 8426 times)

Catbrian

Re: Mirtazapine
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 07:02:51 PM »
Hope everything's going ok with you, Mat

Becks87

• Karma Group
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 08:41:58 PM »
I guess lol, things are the toughest they have ever been right now xx
Just taking it one day at a time..

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 09:44:15 PM »
It's tough Becks but it gets better xxx

calm_one

• Karma Group
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 01:01:03 PM »
I've been on this drug 4 weeks at 15mg and 3 weeks at 30mg, Still can't decide if its working. At first I slept great, waking once or twice but then getting back to sleep (this was after nearly 3 nights of zero sleep) over the last week I have felt my anxiety creaping back and have had early waking too, about 5am normally. So I still get 6 hours sleep which is better then non!

I've had a heavy cold too which I'm still getting over, which will no doubt not help my mood.

Weirdly last night I took my pill and I got achy joints again (i first got that when I went to 30mg but it went away) and then I also got a heavy sedation feeling again, which had worn off. I had been taking cold/flu tablets so not sure if this effected the Mitz though. So it seems like its kicking in again.

How long was it for you for the drugs to start working? I've managed to eat a decent meal without feeling too sick so I am making slow progress.

Regards :)

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 03:33:12 PM »
Hi Calm one, im on 45 mg mirtazapine, and the achy joints was the same for me, so as im on cocodamol as well, i just take them at the same time.

still dont help much with a good sleep though
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

calm_one

• Karma Group
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 07:50:04 PM »
Hi Stewart,

How long have you been on them? I think they are starting to work. Hope so anyway!

Went back to work today after Xmas break, was quite good but found it hard to focus in the morning.

I just wish I could sleep all night! I have always been a bad sleeper though.

mat

• Karma Group
  • Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 10:40:45 PM »
to be honest the medication wont just make everything happy and ok in life you have to work on other aspects of your life as well , from what i have learned.

im currently on 30mg which was increased before xmas to try and help me sleep,  which it rarely does, my mood has been low for the past week or so now but thats down to other things going on.

i never had any side effects while taking it other than my appetite going back up and me putting on weight.

supposedly it says  it takes 3-4 weeks for meds to even have an impact and changing dose mid way through probs wont  help,  my advice would be to try and stick with the medication for a month or two  to see if it has any effect.
BEFORE YOU ACT, LISTEN
BEFORE YOU REACT, THINK
BEFORE YOU SPEND, EARN
BEFORE YOU CRITICIZE, WAIT
BEFORE YOU PRAY, FORGIVE

BEFORE YOU QUIT, TRY

calm_one

• Karma Group
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 07:46:35 AM »
Hi Mat,

I wish it could make all my problems go away! I just wish I was how I was 2 months ago, where I knew I had a lot of stress in my life but I was coping with it, still eating and sleeping fine. Able to enjoy myself and get on with life.

It was litrally one day I woke up feeling awful and felt that way ever since.

I will stick with it for anothe rmonth or 2, I'm sure its whats making me get the 6 hours sleep I'm getting. I might try going to bed later so I don't wake up as early.

I'm glad you've got your appetite back, it can make all the difference!

Take care!

mat

• Karma Group
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 09:20:38 AM »
its the only downside that i have put weight back on,  i do need to loose some extra pounds but I was in a bad way before switching to   mirtaz i lost 2 stone in around 3 weeks  because the way i was, but i guess its a catch 22 situation that im better off now than what i was before.

Obv if you are still having problems with your sleep, your gp can poss prescribe sleeping tablets !!!  or have you tried any over the counter measures for your sleeping problems.
BEFORE YOU ACT, LISTEN
BEFORE YOU REACT, THINK
BEFORE YOU SPEND, EARN
BEFORE YOU PRAY, FORGIVE

BEFORE YOU QUIT, TRY

calm_one

• Karma Group
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 09:40:20 AM »
I normally take nytol one a night to help me sleep that does help but its not getting asleep that's the problem, its staying asleep :-(

I wish I had a normal appetite, sure it will come back soon. I should probably start exercising but don't feel like it while I have this cold.

I start counselling on Monday too!

Have you thought of running to help you manage your weight?

mat

• Karma Group
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 09:52:13 AM »
only running I do is on the treadmill when I am at the gym.

I had the same problem as yourself when I was taking meds to help me sleep I kept on waking up at 3 am in the morning,  my sleep pattern is terrible, i can go for sleeping for 12 or so hours to being awake for days.

I guess someday someone will invent a magic pill that solves everything in one go !..       well hopefully in my lifetime
BEFORE YOU ACT, LISTEN
BEFORE YOU REACT, THINK
BEFORE YOU SPEND, EARN
BEFORE YOU PRAY, FORGIVE

BEFORE YOU QUIT, TRY

calm_one

• Karma Group
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 02:21:29 PM »
Haha I wish there was a pill that would calm out minds!

I've also got my dates mixed up I've only been on 30mg for just over 2 weeks so its too early to be effective I guess.

I am going to start exercising once I'm over this lingering cold/cough.

Glad you're getting CBT too! I'd love to give that a go, although I use CBT on myself all the time. But sometimes the physical feelings just get too much to cope with.

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 07:02:17 PM »
calm_one, been on the combination now for a few years
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

calm_one

• Karma Group
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2013, 04:56:33 PM »
Not sure about this drug now. This is my 4th week now at 30mg and I'm feeling really agitated and restless, palps and chest pains, sleeping is getting worse and I have no apatite at all! I'm actually feeling a lot worse than when I started.

I'm anxious about stuff that I'm not normally anxious about and having thoughts of just ending it all, I wont do anything as I know I will get better but I just feel I'm getting so much worse.

My obsessive thoughts are getting worse too, but that could just be the downward spiral I'm on.

Think I'll go back to the docs and see what he says about continuing, upping or coming off them.

Catbrian

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2013, 05:12:26 PM »
Calm-one....  I have 20 years experience of different anti-depressants and can confidently say this anti-depressant isn't working for you.  I have also felt exactly like you on Prozac and one other (can't remember which).  The anxiety, insomnia and even my temper, were all problems that aren't worth going through. 

What I'd advice is returning to the prescriber asap and insist on a change.  The GP might suggest waiting a little longer until the drug settles.  For me, that didn't work.  At the end of the day, the health professionals can advise all they like, but it is us who are experiencing the pain.

I'm reading a book at the moment called "Shoot the damn Dog".  The Author rightly points out how devastating it can feel if our hopes for an anti-depressant come to nothing.  I'm also facing the probable reality that I am treatment resistant because medications are doing very little.  The only reason I persevere is because health professionals are always trying to convince me that I'd be a lot worse off without the meds.  We can really only be certain through trial and error.  Unfortunately, that can take a long time to figure.

Only one thing I might add is about the current meds I'm on.  Initially they caused a couple of weeks insomnia and agitation but that quickly subsided.  So, really, the decision needs to lie with yourself.

How are you feeling now?