Author Topic: venlafaxine - missing a day - side effects??  (Read 2923 times)

Pina911

• Karma Group
venlafaxine - missing a day - side effects??
« on: October 26, 2012, 09:21:39 AM »
Hi

I am currently taking 150mg of Venlafaxine. However I have recently noticed that if I miss a tablet I start feeling dizzy and light headed. At first it was if I missed a couple of days. (not very good at remembering to take them at weekends!!!) but now even if I have forgotten after a couple of hours I am feeling the effects.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this??

I am due to see my Doc next week so will mention this to him.

Thanks

P..

bookletters

• Karma Group
Re: venlafaxine - missing a day - side effects??
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 01:38:42 PM »
Yes Pina, I too have had that. It makes me feel "nervy" and light headed. Sometimes I get a headache too!
I think it's completely normal as venlafaxine plays such an important part in your brain chemistry. I think of it as using a crutch, if you went without your crutch your muscles would need to adjust to the new situation and possibly ache etc.

Catbrian

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 06:20:33 PM »
If I ever forgot to take my meds the previous night, I'd always know by around 5pmthe next d a very weird feeling that comes over me; dizzy head and the strangest little electric currents passing from head to the finger tips and toes

Pina911

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 07:05:18 PM »
Thanks for replies. Seems I'm not alone in this then. I was on citalopram before and it didn't affect me like this.

At least I now know it nothing to worry about. Just need to be better at remembering to take it.

Surprised how quick it affected me   

P..

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 07:08:39 PM »
A lot of people seem to mention these little electric current thing. I had read about it before. Not surprised your GP hadn't heard of it though. My GP had never heard of TMS or DBS for depression. Although scientists for the past 10 years have been saying the "chemical imbalance" hypothesis is highly questionable / inaccurate, my GP still serves you that too... every time I feel like saying "and do you keep up to date with the latest developments or read the medical journal ever??"

Catbrian

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 08:51:11 PM »
Yer and if you miss doses so many times on a regular basis, it can't be good for your mood.  I set a recurrent alarm on my mobile to remind me, coz I'm usually like you.

Hope your doin ok

Beetzart

• Karma Group
  • 'Billions and billions of stars'
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 10:54:21 PM »
I'm on 225 mg and missed a dose some weeks ago completely by accident.  In 12 hours I was crying and suicidal.  I never miss a dose anymore and always make sure I have enough on repeat prescription.  It is a very good medication though as it has pulled me away from the brink.  I still get depressed but not to the extremes.  Then again I have a very stubborn recurrent depression.

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 11:00:10 PM »
Venlafaxin is helping me too, my lows are really not that bad when I am on it and I can function a lot better. Like tonight I went for a nice (soft) drink with hubby and it was enjoyable. Two weeks ago (before taking venlafaxin again) and I could barely leave the house!