Author Topic: Is this normal???  (Read 4877 times)

bookletters

• Karma Group
Is this normal???
« on: October 18, 2012, 07:13:25 PM »
Two days into taking venlafaxin and I am a bit worried because everyone says AD take weeks to kick in.
Half of me is wondering if I am not becoming bipolar as I know AD make them hypomaniac right?
So, two days back on venlafaxin is it normal that I am:
a) sleeping like a baby (up to 1pm today!!!)
b) eating with good appetite
c) catching myself having oomph and wanting to do things
d) getting back in touch with friends to tell them they'll have to come over for a meal soon.

I was on venlafaxin in the past and it worked really well for me. However, after two days, is it not a bit abnormal that I am having this reaction??

Buttercup

• Banned
Re: Is this normal???
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 07:30:13 PM »
From the bipolar point of view, when I get high I don't sleep, this is typical of hypomania. Last time I would sleep for 2 hours and feel wide awake! Eating goes a bit wrong as well, I'm too busy cleaning etc to stop for food.

It does sound quick for an antidepressant, maybe watch how you go and speak to your doctor if you're worried about bipolar. Although it depends how good your GP is with bipolar, some are better than other.

Xxxxxx

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 07:32:30 PM »
I am a bit scared now :s

Buttercup

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 07:33:19 PM »
Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you.  %^%

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 07:34:48 PM »
No you're not scaring me hehehe!
I have had a look on wikipedia and I don't seem to have any of these symptoms:
pressured speech
inflated self-esteem or grandiosity
decreased need for sleep
flight of ideas or the subjective experience that thoughts are racing
easy distractibility and attention-deficit similar to attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
increase in psychomotor agitation
involvement in pleasurable activities that may have a high potential for negative psycho-social or physical consequences (e.g., the person engages in unrestrained buying sprees, sexual indiscretions, reckless driving, or foolish business investments).[4]

Buttercup

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 07:43:47 PM »
Oh, glad it wasn't me who scared you.

They are typical bipolar symptoms and it is quite a list but you learn to deal with things, I give my hubby my bank cards as I do spend when I get high. I'm pleased to say that I don't have sexual indiscretions or drive recklessly.

Don't worry yourself,  %^%

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 07:45:57 PM »
Okay, do you think I would know if I was bipolar or my hubby would know?
My counsellor says a lot of people with depression think they are bipolar because of the ups and down!
Maybe it's just the sleeping that it helping me I don't know. Hubby is telling me not to worry about the positives!!

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 07:51:59 PM »
Some people on other forum saying:

"For me, the Effexor began to work almost immediately.  Within 72 hours I noticed a positive difference in the way I felt."

"it can take some months for efexor to work properly after the initial 'up' feeling, at least it did for me."

Buttercup

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 08:03:11 PM »
I put up with 'the symptoms' for years before I was diagnosed, but I always knew something wasn't right. Over the years I have spent a lot of money mainly to feed grandiose ideas. If I'd known the symtoms it would have been obvious.  In the end I went to the GP as I needed signed off (with depression) one thing lead to another and I was referred and diagnosed. 

For me, it's obvious when I'm high and yes your husband would spot it but there are more subtle forms, cyclothymia. (sp) so I can only say what it's like for me. If you're worried speak to your doctor, it won't do any harm  %^%

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 08:28:12 PM »
I was assessed by a psychiatrist when I first got depression but she didn't say I was bipolar although she did mention cyclothymia.
I always got over depressive phases thanks to AD (not mood stabiliser) so not sure....

Buttercup

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 08:30:05 PM »
I wonder if the boost is a result of taking 2 ADs at the same time ???

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 08:30:57 PM »
Yes, could well be, or just  the fact that I am finally sleeping after 4 months of crap sleep!

Buttercup

• Banned
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 08:31:38 PM »
Yep, that's bound to make you feel better  ^-^

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 08:37:55 PM »
Definitely!
I was suffering so much with citalopram, it really did nothing for me!

Catbrian

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 08:39:33 PM »
I think sometimes there is a danger of becoming to aware of the side effects of AD's.  The fact is, they react differently to each individual.

I don't think it's untoward to be feeling almost immediate effects from AD's.  Very often, the weeks/months leading up to us starting them, have been fraught with anxiety and insomnia.  The calming/drowsy effect which can often be prevalent, especially at the beginning, can make us feel euphoric and exhausted.  But, all said, it sounds like a good positive start for you.