Author Topic: Stopping cocktail of drugs and then restarting - is it wise?  (Read 3716 times)

annabelle

Stopping cocktail of drugs and then restarting - is it wise?
« on: September 23, 2012, 10:25:32 PM »
I have been on a variety of drugs, most for at least 5/6 years.  I am currently having a bad episode of depression and I am due to see consultant on Tuesday.
My CPN has been coming to see me a few times a week and is coming tomorrow.  She has already spoken to consultant and thinks the plan maybe to add in yet another drug.  I am not happy with this and spoke to CPN about coming off all my drugs and then starting again to see what works.
She has obviously given me info regarding fors and againsts.
I would like to gather as much info as I can b4 i go to cons so i am in a position to have a proper discussion (amid the hysterical tears!)

The drugs I am taking
lamotrigine (for epilepsy)
Priadel (lithium)
venlafaxine
thyroxine (to recitfy hypothyroid caused by lithium!)

Has anyone any experience of doing something similar?

Buttercup

• Banned
Re: Stopping cocktail of drugs and then restarting - is it wise?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 10:31:13 PM »
Sorry no experience of stopping & restarting a cocktail of drugs. I have tough had to stop taking Lamotrigine due to rash but hope to restart it again.

Xxx

Owl

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 10:40:47 PM »
I recently stopped taking venlafaxine, olanzapine and haloperidol, cold turkey. Probably not the wisest thing I've ever done... Though it did highlight a wrong diagnosis and gave me an accurate one due to the medical team being able to see me without any medication and the range in my moods.

Do what you think is right for you.

Fox
X

Catbrian

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 11:52:29 PM »
I haven't ever come off as many drugs at once, but know how difficult it is to simply change from only one antidepressant to another.  There are some drugs you can just shift from one to the other.  But, in my experience, Doc's usually insist on coming off completely before starting the new med.

Sounds like you have good support.  I totally appreciate your dilemma.  I too would be tempted to change, but perhaps changing one at a time might feel less traumatic.

I hope it all goes well

annabelle

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 04:39:35 PM »
I have just got back from consultants appointment, luckily my CPN and hubby came as well.  He bombarded me with info, but would let me ask any questions until he had been through all the drug choices and ECT, by which time I had forgotten the questions i wanted to ask and had switched off anyway!

CPN is coming tomorrow with crisis team to go through what was said and also talk through my options, which seem to be:

Increase lamotrigine which I take for epilepsy - rational being that it probably wont do anything but wont hurt my epilepsy anyway.
second option is to add on an anti-pyschotic, no idea which one
Thirdly have a course of ECT

No idea which, if any, I will choose.  Not joking when I say i feel even more suicidal now than when I went in.  My husband is away tomorrow until Friday so who knows

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 06:31:56 PM »
Oh dear. Its not good when they talk and do not let you ask what you needed to. I hope your CPN can help you decide what is best. Please take care. S x x x x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Buttercup

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 06:37:44 PM »
Hi

Do you mind me asking how much Lamotrigine you take?
I took it for bipolar depression & it worked really well.

Xxxx

annabelle

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 08:32:12 PM »
I currently take 250mg per day.  The lamotrigine has kept my epilepsy at bay for the last 12 years - and done nothing so far for my depression, putting it up to 300mg tonight and take it from there

Thanks to everyone for your support
A

Buttercup

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 08:33:57 PM »
I took 300mg.   I really hope that all this gets sorted out for you. xxxx

annabelle

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 09:21:29 PM »
just a bit of an update -
I am going into hospital on Friday.  At the minute the plan is to undergo ECT.  They wanted to take me in this afternoon, but my hubbie is away until tomorrow night,  I had to agree to get my daughter to stay until he came back.
Will be strange not to have access to the internet for 3 or 4 weeks, no doubt I will cope though.
thanks again for your support
A

Owl

• Karma Group
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 09:27:04 PM »
Good luck Anabelle,

I'm currently in hospital and have seen patients undergo ECT with great results. I was going to undergo ECT myself until my diagnosis changed from psychotic depression to bipolar disorder. I really hope it works for you.

Let us know how you get on.

Fox
X

annabelle

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 09:56:45 PM »
Thanks Fox, good to know it can have good results
A