Author Topic: Doubling Venlefaxine Dose  (Read 2352 times)

bunraku

Doubling Venlefaxine Dose
« on: September 12, 2012, 01:36:23 PM »
I have been on Venlefaxine XL 75mg for 14 years. I suffer from anxiety and depression. Right now I am going through a bad depression phase. I have for the last month or so been trying to work through it, but it’s still here. My Doctors recommended doubling the dose and at least trying it for 28 days. If I am better after 28 days it doesn’t mean the tablets have helped, but if I am the same it at least lets them know the Venlefaxine is not helping. My family also want me to do this, but I have always came through this before on my single tablet and so far I have refused and tried to work my way through it with positive thinking etc.  Doubling the dose to me has always been a symbol to me that something is wrong and I have wanted to keep it as it always has been.

However over a month later and I still feel spaced out, panicky, depressed and always anxious. So how bad could the side effects be over how I am feeling already? Especially as I have been on it for 14 years anyway? So anyone have an opinion on doubling being the right thing to do? And also if a I do double them do I take 2 together or 1 at morning and 1 at night. As it’s the XL then it’s all day release.

Thanx

SteveW

• Karma Group
Re: Doubling Venlefaxine Dose
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 07:18:05 PM »
I wouldn’t advise you either way, except to say you are on a very low dose of venlafaxine. What I would say is that Venlafaxine has side effects that you can't actually feel. It can cause a rise in blood pressure and a rise in cholesterol levels. I presume if you have been on the stuff for 14 years your GP has been monitoring your blood pressure. If you did go for the increase I’d ask for my blood pressure to be measured before and after. A blood cholesterol  test on the same basis would be a good idea. My GP was so paranoid about it she added in regular ECG’s as well.
Sometimes the light is shining on me
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange, trip it's been