Author Topic: Not sure where to put this  (Read 6832 times)

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Not sure where to put this
« on: September 10, 2012, 10:39:37 PM »
It probably belongs in one of the religious categories but it really encompasses all faiths

If you have a faith do you have doubts when you are depressed?  If so do you think dwindling faith aggravates the depression or depression causes doubts in your faith?

Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Buttercup

• Banned
Re: Not sure where to put this
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 11:10:55 PM »
Interesting one.

Sometimes I wonder what on earth I've done to deserve this and why I'm being tried so much. And yes I do question, but I think there are other times when our faith can be challenged, the death of my mother in law, for example she was an amazing woman who did so much to help others and yet had a painful end at 62.

I'm C of E by the way.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 07:08:04 AM »
My faith and depression seem to be caught up in a vicious circle atm and I'm finding it difficult so wondered if one starts the other off.

I follow the teachings of one of the branches of Sant Mat

Z xx
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Ezel

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 11:28:52 AM »
I moved it here as this is the 'general' board for religious discussion.

Actually I have found my faith helps me when I am depressed.  One of my bibles is for women so as well as being a bible it also goes through explaining how scripture can help including with depression.  Although I was raised C of E when I was younger my parents didn't mind which church I went to.  I had friends who were Catholic, Baptists and Methodist. During my married life we have mainly gone to Pentecostal churches but we also go to a Methodist church.

PaulaJo

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 11:50:27 AM »
It varies, for me.
I grew up Christian, but am open-minded and multi-denominational. I also believe that all other religions are valid and each religion has a semblance of 'truth'. So I'm not your typical religious person.

When I was at my worst a few months ago - having anxiety attacks, and in particular when my first medication gave me terrible side effects (I woke up one night at 2am, cold sweats, entire body achy and itchy, feeling like I was losing my mind in a spiral of blind panic and fear - can't describe how awful it was - hell on earth) - I got a lot of comfort from curling into a ball and praying, imagining myself being enveloped in God's love. It somehow gave me respite - in particular on that dark night, I managed to cower away from the pain and managed to nod off to sleep again, miraculously.
Also when at my worst, I used to listen to my old Rebecca St James CDs. The songs (lyrics? music? who knows) were comforting, and were like a mantra for me.

When I have felt low about life - what is the point, my life has no meaning, there is nothing I want in life - I struggle, because I imagine that my 'purpose' and 'meaning' in life should be intricately linked to faith. However I am more a spiritual person, than a person 'of faith'. Though am not quite sure what I mean by that, either!

So yes, maybe the depression does make my 'faith' more difficult to experience or believe in, because the nature of the beast is that it makes me feel like life is pointless.

Catbrian

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 08:34:20 PM »
Most faiths I know of, believe in the God of the Old Testament.  Which is largely my own understanding.  I believe there are many pathways to God, no one better than the other.  It always saddens me to hear people talk of THEIR faith being the ONLY way.  It was the fundamental cause of my moving away from the Christian church, which I came to know as ''Churchianity''.

My faith in a God of love and understanding has evolved over the years, as has my faith in the power of prayer.  I try to live my life as Jesus taught, 'love, honour, forgiveness and not to judge';not as the Christian church practices... and there is a vast difference.

I suppose I have prayed in my hour of need, but usually find my faith takes a back seat when I'm smothered by depression.  Somehow, God and prayer are the last things that come to mind.  Prayer usually comes into the equation just as I'm beginning to feel better and normally consists of seeking guidance and my hopes for the future.  *()