Author Topic: Interesting article...  (Read 5653 times)

Munchroom

• Karma Group
Interesting article...
« on: September 01, 2012, 09:57:30 AM »
My mum came across this in the paper a few weeks ago and kept it for me. I had a pretty nasty bump on the head when I was very young and lost consciousness... I haven't got many of the other symptoms, but its an interesting theory. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2184646/Depressed-Always-tired-It-childhood-bump-head.html
This too shall pass.

Ezel

Re: Interesting article...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 10:40:26 AM »
Thank you for posting this  $%$

Michael Frankum

• Karma Group
  • Rest in peace 27th Noverber 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 11:04:37 AM »
It just goes to show how difficult it is to pin down exactly why we feel this way. We are a very varied group, and can't always define where our problems are rooted.

PaulaJo

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 07:08:37 PM »
Thanks Munchroom, this is very interesting.
It makes me think of a young cousin, who hurt his head a few years back when he tripped and fell through a glass door.
Not as bad as this chap (5 day coma, bleeding ears) but it does make you wonder what (little) it might take to damage the pituitary gland and its stalk.

Munchroom

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 12:23:58 PM »
I am awful with co-ordination, my lefts and rights and so on.... My mum has always put it down to my accident when I was younger. It does make you think what sort of impact injuries like this have in the long run, once we have 'recovered'
This too shall pass.

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 02:46:22 AM »
As a scientist I have to say that this article has about as much intellectual credibility as a curly wurly. The science writers of the daily mail are, for want of a better word, thick. To say that this mans depresion was due to a childhood bump to the head is stupid, and to back up a stupid hypothesis they stupidly chose unrelated cases to back up the stupid argument, which resulted in a story with all the congriguity of one told by a schizophrenic on LSD.

I am sorry I am being arrogant but I read science all day, I know poor science writing when I see it and this is simply poor journalism.

However, a team of neurobiologists are studying the role between 'bumps to the head' and depression. They have been looking at the brains of American football players because of a tendency for those in this sport to kill themselves, and there is a hypothesis that incremental brain damage by repeated small bangs to the head may be causing psychiatric illness, and the evidence for this is strong.

I apologise again for being pugnacious, but I have an informed point of view so I may as well express it. Sorry to be rude  I don't like to upset people

« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 02:52:44 AM by Stevie »

Ezel

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 11:46:53 AM »
You're an intelligent man and as a scientist you have every right to be critical  _)_

Munchroom

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 10:00:16 PM »
I don't think you would have upset anyone Stevie. I can't say I take much of what the Daily Mail says as gospel  :P As I said its just an interesting theory  ^-^
This too shall pass.

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 01:43:05 AM »

It is because I like people and don't want people to think I'm being a prat. X