Author Topic: Venlafaxine, Lamotrigine and Olanzapine reviews.  (Read 2592 times)

PMD1911

Venlafaxine, Lamotrigine and Olanzapine reviews.
« on: August 23, 2012, 05:52:50 PM »
Hi,

I am on the following medications for psychotic depression. I haven't been able to find many reviews/opinions on these medications so I thought I'd put my own out there. Hope they help anyone who is interested.

Venalfaxine 375mg
This is an serotonin–norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor or SNRI antidepressant. Introduced in the 90s it is a relativly new medication. It comes in various doses and has a maximum does of 375mg. An average does seems to be around 225mg. The most common side effects are nausea (37%), somnolence (23%), dry mouth (22%). Sexual dysfunction and loss of sex drive are also possible side effects. My experience of side effects are fortunately limited to nausea and some headaches. Venlafaxine doesn't work for everyone, however of the five antidepressants my psychiatrist has tried me on this has been the most effective. It has only improved my mood by a few points (from a suicidal 10/10 low mood to around an 8/10) but this has been the best of all the antidepressants.

Lamotrigine 400mg
This drug was developed as an anticonvulsant. However it was discovered it had a mood stabilising capability. Usually prescribed for sufferes of bipolar disorder, however it can also be prescribed to patients with sever depression. It is usually prescribed after other mood stabilisers have been tried. The maximum does is 400mg. It is increased very slowly, typically 25mg a week. This is due to the possibility of developing a life threatening rash if increased to quickly. Other side effects include blurred vision, dizziness, dry mouth and insomnia. I personally find this medication very helpful. By the time it reached 300mg and upto the 400mg mark it has to quote the name, stabilised my mood and has worked in tandem with my antidepressant to give me even a little quality of life back.

Olanzapine 20mg
This drug is an atypical antipsychotic medication, used to treat schizophrenia and psychosis. It is considered to be one of the best antipsychotics and is normally prescribed after other antipsychotics have been tried. The maximum dose is 20mg. The common side effects include restlessness, dry mouth, shaking hands and sedation. This has been the most effective antipsychotic I have tried. I have a fairly treatment resistant form of psychosis but olanzapine has worked the best for me so far.

I hope this helps. Let me know if there are questions.

Buttercup

• Banned
Re: Venlafaxine, Lamotrigine and Olanzapine reviews.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 08:12:10 PM »
Thank you

I take Lamotrigine for bipolar and it works well for me too

Catbrian

Re: Venlafaxine, Lamotrigine and Olanzapine reviews.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 10:28:48 PM »
That's very interesting PMD.  I'm pleased that combination is having a positive effect on you. 

I recently started a combination of Quetiapine and Mirtazapine, both had a good effect.  Pregabalin has recently been added to that; initially prescribed as a nerve pain drug, but has also been helping with paranoia and agoraphobic issues.