Author Topic: back on citalopram  (Read 2908 times)

biddie

back on citalopram
« on: August 15, 2012, 10:11:35 PM »

HI All

Went to the GP yesterday as i was feeling so low and felt i needed help again, the GP put me back on citalopram but only 20mg and putting it up to 40mg in two weeks, i had been on it previously for 10 years, in nov 2011 i went cold turkey the side affects were bad but only lasted a couple of weeks, but if i need to go on them to make me feel well again im willing to. the only difference iv found is im having big trouble sleeping this time my GP said i could go on sleepers but the last time in 2008 i went on them i became addicted and had to take myself off them so i really dont want that again, has anyone any suggestions how i can get through this im so tired and agitated but am denied any sleep iv tried herbal they dont work im not sleeping during the day im running out of ideas so any from you would be helpful.

BIDDIE  "£$

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
Re: back on citalopram
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 10:18:11 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum. Only things I can suggest is maybe a warm bath before bed and try some breathing exercises to clear your mind. I am sure others will be along to offer more suggestions. S x x x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Catbrian

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 11:33:40 PM »
Hi Biddie
Good you've agreed to go back on Citalopram.  Unfortunately, I also suffer insomnia when starting new meds.  I also becamse addicted to prescribed Diazepam  about 10yrs ago, so I can appreciate your fear of them.  I can't take anything that reminds me of Diazepam but a recent bad bout of insomnia made me desperate enough  to go for the sleeping pills.  This time I asked for Zodafem.  They are excellent and while in the same benzo family as Diazepam, they felt entirely different.  As soon as I got back into a decent sleep pattern (about 2wks), I came off the Zodafem without a problem.  Everyone is different re addictive issues and only you know what's best for you.

I hope the Forum can help you through some of it

Good luck

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 07:25:05 AM »
You could try some antihistamine, obviously not the non drowsy version, its only a mild effect but it might work.  I burn mugwort just before bedtime which usually works for me

Z xx
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Greycylinder

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 04:34:28 PM »
Yes, I agree about anti-histamine. Certriline are good and also Phenergen (but maybe only half a tablet). Also, I have used Syndol which are paracetamol and a mild muscle relaxant and you can buy over the counter but they are quite expensive and only take them for a few days. They are very good though. I use them for back pain but they also help me sleep. Have defo found Citalopram better taken at night than in the morning....