Author Topic: Your favourite,bands and albums  (Read 6785 times)

athens1982

• Karma Group
Re: Your favourite,bands and albums
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 11:32:01 PM »
Michael , Hawkwind were very much my local band in my middle teens, Lemmy and Stacia included, Also have a memory of Hawkwind setting up at the Windsor Festival(illegal) chucked out at dawn. They just played in the middle of the park. all a bit vague now. Does anyone remember Van Der Graf Generator? Big around that time. Found some of them on progressive music in local pub and cleared the younger people in seconds. Oh Happy days.Watched a documentry abot Led Zep earlier also, think I should go back to the 70's , all seemed simple then.

mat

• Karma Group
  • Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 12:03:36 AM »
Very varied taste in music,  depends really what mood I'm in,  Bon jovi, Metallica, cash, faithless, Sinatra/big band.

There's no doubt that music does help you through some of the bad times
BEFORE YOU ACT, LISTEN
BEFORE YOU REACT, THINK
BEFORE YOU SPEND, EARN
BEFORE YOU CRITICIZE, WAIT
BEFORE YOU PRAY, FORGIVE

BEFORE YOU QUIT, TRY

Michael Frankum

• Karma Group
  • Rest in peace 27th Noverber 2012
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 03:31:45 AM »
athens you've stirred up a few memories! Oh, Stacia. Wow! I think that hers was the first moving naked lady chest I ever saw!  m155

Peter Hammill and Van de Graaf were good, but I only actually saw him supporting (I think) Peter Gabriel. I never saw the actual Generator. Oh, for a Time Machine.

Sorry if I sound like a perv, but I was at that age. :-[

athens1982

• Karma Group
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 03:07:54 PM »
Do you remember a band called Stray? One track called all in your mind always brings back great memories for me. Try it on U tube, also Uriah Heep , Gypsy. Oh and Steve hillage and Gong, Still play this stuff now when in the mood but like lots of other music too, dont have much choice with 16 and 23 year old sons. Must admit dont really get Hip Hop but can understand the Drum and Base Dance music. Also love Muse.
As to lusting after Stacia didn't all the lads do that. She was a very big girl from what i remember!

Michael Frankum

• Karma Group
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 04:47:17 PM »
I don't remember Stray, but I'll check them out. Steve Hillage WAS god. A really great guitarist live. I only saw Gong after they had turned, well I don't know - Jazz/Rock/Funk? Anyway. Daevid Allen had left, so there weren't any Pothead Pixies or Flying Teapots. I did see a set at a free festival on the Summer Solstice at Stonehenge by Daevid Allen and his lady, and it was WEIRD! Maybe something to do with the strange mushroom tea I had ingested. Roy Harper was there too. Somebody told me that Nik Turner had played as well, but I think I must have crashed. The person who told me that was always trying to wind me up. He often turned green.

Did you ever see Bob Calvert with Hawkwind? He died too soon - eccentric but very talented. Michael Moorcock was quite memorable as well.

There's still lots of good music around, but an awful lot of dross as well. I never thought I'd be like my dad, but music WAS better back then. Songs had a beginning, a middle and an end, and you could understand the words! How he'd laugh if he heard me say that. I'm an old fart, and no mistake. I remember when you could get into a gig, buy a T-shirt, have a drink and a burger, and still get change enough from half a crown to get a taxi home.  =+- OK, maybe not.

athens1982

• Karma Group
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 08:50:33 PM »
I don't know, my 16 year old is going to see Ed Sheeran next Monday, Very jealous. And I was bought up on Johnny Cash, didn't appreciate him then but now think he was great. We all change. I still try and get out to see local bands although a lot of them just do covers but I just love live music, rock or acoustic. As to stonehenge, I often pass it on the way from cornwall to London and you cant get near it these days. Also remember lots of FREE concerts at Hyde Park. Not much chance of that these days. Oh god, think i need to get my smelly Afghan out and find some Patchouli Oil.

athens1982

• Karma Group
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2012, 11:21:08 PM »
Are you Ok Micheal? havn't heard in a couple of days? reckon we are around the same age, same music etc. Good to talk to someone who has my memories.When things are crap now always go back to old days. Not sure if thats good or not?

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2012, 01:46:40 PM »
ummmm...
Showaddywaddy
Rubettes
Mud
Slade
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

Michael Frankum

• Karma Group
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2012, 02:00:59 PM »
I'll bet that you were a Gary Glitter fan as well. I loved him, but it's not safe to admit it since his indescretions. I saw him 3 times, and saw Slade twice. Happy days! I never caught up with the others, because they all had difficult dances, and I have got no coordination at all. I developed into a heavy metal fan - I could manage head-banging.  _-+

athens1982

• Karma Group
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2012, 08:13:42 PM »
A side of you havn't seen so far Michael, have to admit Slade were a good band. Noddy Holder amazing even if started off as a skinheads.

Nay

• Karma Group
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2012, 09:10:47 PM »
I have quite a wide taste in music too. Mew, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Metronomy, Pentangle, devendra Banhart, Deftones, Kate Bush...

Favouring some folkie dokey stuff at the moment though. Spirals by Adem is my fave track at the mo. So beautiful. A few years old now but I still love it :)

Michael Frankum

• Karma Group
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2012, 09:23:51 PM »
Nay, you kids and your crazy Music! I like classical.Have you ever heard of the Beatles? Slade started off with stomping type music. Was Skinhead Stomp one of theirs? I could Google it, but I'm too lazy to move my Google finger. Yes, I have assigned different digits to every task.

I know somebody who looks like Kate Bush. (Just boasting!)

Nay

• Karma Group
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2012, 09:48:51 PM »
:p

nocaph

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2012, 02:17:58 PM »
I like many kinds of music, but recently recaptured my obsession with trip-hop.

Try this :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IPGla-zMI0

Edit:  and this one ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIxnSyqS0XM ), I saw Tricky do this live... ohhhh amazing  ^%$  "£$
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 03:23:01 PM by nocaph »

Catbrian

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 09:44:50 PM »
Well, the other night, while on Utube for the very first time.  I came across my teenage taste in music...Leo Sayer from 1974, in his crazy clown outfit.  I was bopping up and down on this chair.  Funny "One man Band" I've not heard since about 1979 but still remember every word and beat.  Listening now.  He was definitely underrated.  Here's the link if any of you old timers want a trip down memory lane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2o2kdd_Veo