Author Topic: Some advice about bipolar, please.  (Read 6299 times)

Beetzart

• Karma Group
  • 'Billions and billions of stars'
Some advice about bipolar, please.
« on: June 15, 2012, 08:18:26 PM »
I have always suspected I may have bipolar as I have always had recurrent depression, yet I have nothing to compare my experiences with.  I know there have been times when I have been high on life and done stupid things but I wonder how they might compare to others who have been diagnosed.  I would say I have only had about three episodes but never sought help because I felt well.  My first depression started when I was 18, and maybe the first manic/hypermanic episode when I was 20/21.  I have taken lithium for about 3 years and haven't got 'high' since.  

Thank you

Got

• Karma Group
Re: Some advice about bipolar, please.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 03:38:58 PM »

Hmmm.......hypomanias and manias can present varying symptoms. Yes, people do often feel elated during these periods, and expansive with over optimistic perceptions which can lead to some unwise decisions. Some people become creative, more goal orientated, more productive. Some times people feel irritated, they may have racing thoughts (in mania). Sometimes people hypomania and manias may not be euphoric at all. They may actually feel dysphoric whilst being full of energy. Psychomotor agitation can also present its self, where by patient may be extremely restless.

I think it is important that you discuss these issues fully with your psychiatrist. It could lead to a change in medication and and improved level of mental health. Keeping it from your psychiatrist will not help you.

Steve