Author Topic: Quetiapine  (Read 3646 times)

Catbrian

Quetiapine
« on: June 04, 2012, 10:15:04 PM »
 ^&*Before I started Quetiapine approximately nine weeks ago, I did a fair bit of  research, but nothing could have prepared me for its effects.    The starting dose was 50mg, increasing to 375mg within 4days.    For the first week I felt completely zoned out.  My mind seemed to slow down considerably, something I needed more than I could ever convey here.  Almost immediately, my depression felt better than it has done for many years and the motivational drive came out of the blue.  Suddenly I was cleaning, washing, doing the laundry and listening to music again.  Generally I began taking more of an interest in things around me. However, I am very aware that my motivation - this new found enthusiasm for life - did not come from natural sources, it came on the back of a powerful mind altering drug. I still do feel under the influence of a drug and I am not sure if this is how it should be affecting me. Have any of you members had experiences you could share?
I've been on it now for 9 weeks. I no longer feel zoned out but I do still feel under the influence of a drug. I couldn't say it resembles a stimulating drug but, for me, it most definitely has a strong motivational element.  It also  eases my paranoia and maybe even lowered my inhibitions a little bit too much, at times. It has felt so good not to be dragging depression around.  Sometimes I've felt almost alien to myself.
Unfortunately the price I have to pay is insomnia. I have very poor sleep, wakening every 2hrs, looking at the clock.  I have spent most of the last 10years curled up in bed, why then should I worry about insomnia? Well, because I am almost completely exhausted, having averaged 5hrs sleep each night for the last 4 weeks.
The worst side-effect for me is restless legs syndrome - that very aggravating tightness in my legs - it is driving me crazy!!  Seriously, it is so bad i have considered coming off the drug completely.
So my fellow friends, I wonder if anyone has had similar experiences. Will love to hear from you

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Re: Quetiapine
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 07:39:01 AM »
Sorry, no experience but hope someone here does to help you

Z xx
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 09:01:59 AM »
Sorry but I have never taken this medication.

S x x x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

mamalou

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 07:28:32 PM »
Hi Catbrian,

I am taking 300mg of Quetiapine every evening. I have been on it now for around 9 months. It is part of a 4 drug cocktail that I have been prescribed.

For me Quetiapine definitely slows me down. I take it at night and rely upon it heavily to assist with my sleep ( in combo with Lithium). I am absolutely unable to wake up in the morning and it takes my husband to physically rouse me by lifting me up to sitting and removing the quilt !!! ( no dignity left I'm afraid !)
I can also relate to the restless element of the drug - for me it has many facets that seem to contradict one another - I actually shake alot since being on the drug. I have very resless hands and funny little muscular twitches and on occasions an awfully shaky head !! Can't say that I have massive motivation but I'm not sure what the other drugs are doing as I know I go a bit loopy if my Lithium levels are altered even slightly.

For me, Quetiapine has been a really useful drug in getting my mind to behave a bit better and I would be really scared if my psychiatrist said he was going to reduce of remove it. I can totally relate to the "zoned out" feeling that you describe and also the feeling of being drugged.

Sorry, I ramble on and on - hope this helps in some way.

Louise 

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 10:18:23 PM »
Quetiapine made me very sedated whilst being simultaneously incredibly anxious. I could not handle it and reduced the does very quickly, which was followed by hypomania. My experience with this is that it was an exceptionally powerful mind altering drug, but many people find it to be just fine

Tinkerbell

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 10:35:31 PM »
Hi Catbrian.

Yeah I have been on these and I had to stop them as I felt completely awful, I couldn't sleep either and felt very paranoid too.
I also gained weight which was not very good considering I was paranoid about weight gain, I told my Pdoc how I felt so he told me to stop them, I can't remember what dose I was on as it was almost 2 years or so a go, If you're concerned have a talk with your Pdoc or GP. xxx

smokey

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 06:37:46 PM »
I've been on quetiapine around 6-7 weeks, was prescribed it at first as I was becoming psychotic, paranoid etc. It helped with that but the last 2-3 weeks I really struggle in the mornings& have noticed I have much less motivation, energy, interest in anything than a few months ago.

mat

• Karma Group
  • Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 07:05:27 PM »
^^^

where I work we use it as a mild sedative on some people  as it does have the effects which you mentioned above.
BEFORE YOU ACT, LISTEN
BEFORE YOU REACT, THINK
BEFORE YOU SPEND, EARN
BEFORE YOU CRITICIZE, WAIT
BEFORE YOU PRAY, FORGIVE

BEFORE YOU QUIT, TRY