Author Topic: Mindfulness Therapy - anyone tried it?  (Read 4772 times)

CarolineWalker

Mindfulness Therapy - anyone tried it?
« on: May 09, 2012, 09:18:35 AM »
Following the launch of its Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) programme, the Priory Hospital Brighton and Hove is offering a new MBCT course designed at developing new ways of handling difficult moods and mental states.

The MBCT programme is an eight week evening course that is beneficial for sufferers of depression, anxiety and stress (see information below*).

Through a variety of techniques, the course helps individuals to learn the art and practice of mindfulness and, subsequently, the ability to disengage from difficult thoughts.

The programme combines mindfulness meditation with elements of cognitive therapy to aid the participant to foster stability and balance in their daily life.

The National Institute for Clinical and Health Excellence (NICE) now recommends MBCT for all people who have had two or more depressive episodes. Research is ongoing in a wide variety of mental health problems. Evidence from clinical trials currently tells us that (i) MBCT is more effective than maintenance doses of antidepressants in preventing a relapse in depression; (ii) approximately 75% of people taking an MBCT course alongside antidepressants were able to come off their medication within 15 months; (iii) MBCT is able to reduce the severity of symptoms for people currently experiencing an episode of depression; (iv) MBCT can successfully reduce insomnia in people with anxiety disorders; (v) dependence on alcohol, caffeine, illegal drugs and prescription medication can be reduced through engagement with the practices taught on MBCT courses.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Re: Mindfulness Therapy - anyone tried it?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 09:29:23 AM »
No sorry but I do find mindfulness and meditation helps me

Z x
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.