Author Topic: what is your definition of suicide ?  (Read 1041 times)

no-one-special

• Karma Group
what is your definition of suicide ?
« on: April 13, 2012, 11:31:47 PM »
I know its killing yourself but is there a difference between taking your life by doing a physical act such as pills, cutting etc and taking your life with doing a physical act eg putting yourself in a situation you know could lead to the end ?

Buttercup

• Banned
Re: what is your definition of suicide ?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 11:37:07 PM »
I would say both

CharleysAngel'

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 11:40:25 PM »
I agree with buttercup and would say both.
Sometimes love is not enough and the road gets tough I don't know why;'
Lana Del Rey

no-one-special

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 11:52:10 PM »
you see I am not sure. People do high risk jobs and hobbies that could end their lives would that make them suicidal ? Whats the difference between someone who does or doesnt do something in the hope it might work out for them and someone who does

I dont know how to explain what I want to say the words wont come lol

Is inaction the same as action ? If I was to go treking in the woods and got lost it would be a tragedy but when would it turn to suicide ? Is it just intent ? If it is if no knows your intentions then it would not be .

I am not sure if I am making any sense lol  

Buttercup

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 12:01:19 AM »
It does make sense.

Using your forest analogy I would say if you went for a walk and intended to go home but had a tragic accident, that wouldn't be suicide. But if you went for the walk with the notion that something might happen, perhaps by being I'll prepared, or going to a hazardous area or in inclement conditions and the intent was there that you didn't want to return home then that could be a form of suicide.

So I guess it comes down to intent.

no-one-special

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 02:14:30 AM »
thank you x

SteveW

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 11:34:03 PM »
I am less concerned with the precise meaning of words than I am with why you feel the need to ask the question in the first place. I once knew a deeply religious woman who was suicidal but believed suicide was a sin. She used to engage in all manner of incredibly risky behaviour in the hope that she wouldn’t survive it.  If you are feeling self destructive in any sense of the word, please don’t leave things, try and do something about it.
Sometimes the light is shining on me
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange, trip it's been

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 01:14:36 AM »
Why are you concerned between the difference? Are you feeling in anyway suicidal?

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 11:07:55 AM »
I am less concerned with the precise meaning of words than I am with why you feel the need to ask the question in the first place. I once knew a deeply religious woman who was suicidal but believed suicide was a sin. She used to engage in all manner of incredibly risky behaviour in the hope that she wouldn’t survive it.  If you are feeling self destructive in any sense of the word, please don’t leave things, try and do something about it.

my mum has wanted to die since my dad lost his life just over two years ago but her christian beliefs prevent her from doing so,  she is neglecting herself as far as medical treatment is concerned (heart problems) and I think she is hoping that will end her life rather than her taking it which she wont do because of her beliefs
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

misunderstood-x

• Karma Group
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 02:05:47 PM »
suicide is choosing to end your life. whether with pills or jumping or whatever. it doesnt matter how you do it its that you have decided to end your life.

people with high risk jobs etc are not choosing to end their life, they are doing a job but knowing there is a chance of dying, but they dont choose to die.

no-one-special

• Karma Group
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 05:44:54 PM »
Why are you concerned between the difference? Are you feeling in anyway suicidal?

I post mainly at night because it is a difficult time for me and yes I do but I wont hugs x

suicide is choosing to end your life. whether with pills or jumping or whatever. it doesnt matter how you do it its that you have decided to end your life.

people with high risk jobs etc are not choosing to end their life, they are doing a job but knowing there is a chance of dying, but they dont choose to die.

So it is all down to intent  and whats going on in your mind ? So if no one is aware of your intent it is not suicide ?

my mum has wanted to die since my dad lost his life just over two years ago but her christian beliefs prevent her from doing so,  she is neglecting herself as far as medical treatment is concerned (heart problems) and I think she is hoping that will end her life rather than her taking it which she wont do because of her beliefs

This is the stage I am at but not withholding medication I find myself "forgetting" to take on fluids which doesn't sound like much but I have already been  hospitalized once for dehydration and was so close I was in HDU in a drip.

Stevewellan thank you for taking the time to post please dont worry about me thats why I post to stop the thoughts xx

SteveW

• Karma Group
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 09:28:34 PM »
Too late, I started to worry about you the second I finished reading your first post. I’m glad posting in the middle of the night helps. Why don’t you write a bit more about your circumstances. You may well find that that helps in itself. You might also find more substantial help forthcoming.
Lately it occurs to me

no-one-special

• Karma Group
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 10:16:06 PM »
Thank you  I post my feelings in the other section it helps clear my mind to put my feelings down in writing. I promise I will not harm myself I have to many dependants that I would never let down. But sometimes the only way to get to sleep at night is to plan an exit strategy even if you know you will never be able to use it. I guess the fantasy is there and to me planning is my release.

Again I am sorry I worried anyone I was going to ask my counsellor but I don't see her until next week

Again so so sorry and thank you for caring hugs x

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 04:26:10 PM »
No need to appologise.

So it appears that you are experiencing sucidal ideation. You must definatly talk to your doctor about this. It is not something to be ignored or to become complacent about.

Steve
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 08:32:10 PM by Stevie »

SteveW

• Karma Group
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 07:23:36 PM »
Please do tell your counsellor. They should immediately switch over to making a judgement about just how bad your suicidal thoughts are and if they pose any immediate risk to you. Please don’t feel complacent about having dependents and that fact keeping you from suicide. Depression can take you so far down that having dependents may come to seem irrelevant. Depression might even try and convince you that your dependents would be better off without you. Hopefully once you’ve told your counsellor things should never get that bad.
Lately it occurs to me