Author Topic: Veggies...  (Read 6349 times)

Jane

• Karma Group
Veggies...
« on: April 03, 2012, 04:30:15 PM »
I like gardening but don't get as much time or motivation at the moment.
But I have seedlings on the go - on my kitchen windowsill and fruit bushes in the garden.
I've got corgettes, french beans and beetroot on the go at the moment. The corgettes I think i planted too early but am hoping they'll be ok, I've got one lot out in the ground (covered them today as supposed to frost tonight) and one lot indoors still.

Lots of other things to grow.. I've started the digging and have a big piece of weed fabric covering a section of ground I've started the digging in. :)

I love flowers too but love picking veggies. I've got gooseberries, raspberries and blackberries planted too.

Anyone else grow veggies?

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Re: Veggies...
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 06:00:11 PM »
I usually do but probably wont grow as many this year because if the hosepipe ban :(
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Munchroom

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 06:08:55 PM »
I try too - I have aubergine seedlings on the windowsill alongisde some pepper seeds (which havent shooted yet - neither have the mint, or chives) I bought some tomato plants and a chilli plant on Sunday and I have some carrot seeds in the ground, although cosily tucked in under some fleece at the moment - not really expecting too much from them, last year I was amazed at how well they were coming on, until I looked closer and realsied I was actually growing love in the mist  ::) No carrots hiding underneath....
This too shall pass.

Desperado99

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 08:38:09 PM »
I've just planted some tomato seeds (free with gardeners' world  ;D ) that's about my limit TBH well, that and strawberries.......
I've shared the pack with my dad, he's going to come and pick his plants up when they've started growing  ::)

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 11:03:39 PM »
Hubby is growing leeks, carrots, potatoes and peas and we grow tomatos in the greenhouse.

Ita great eating the things we grow and they taste so much better too.

S x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Jane

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 08:15:44 AM »
Great stuff - every little helps! ;)
I wanted a green house this year but alas it's spring and money is too tight. :( maybe one day.
I didn't grow anything last year as doubted I'd have time with Uni but I'm off from after my exams at end of May till end of Sept so no excuse really... will keep me out in the garden with the watering can - also looking at a slim water butt as the space we have is alongside the path down the side of the house so not much room will save re-running the pipe.

Desperado99

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 09:12:58 AM »
I've just got a mini greenhouse (basically some shelving with a plastic cover) I think it was only about £30 and I've had it a good ten years. It's quite handy because I only tend to need it this time of year and it fits in the shed when I'm not using it.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 09:54:26 AM »
I started with one of the plastic ones too, but the cover broke so we invested in a small greenhouse and craig made shelves for it.

S x

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 04:10:37 PM »
You can often pick them up secondhand or free from freevycle if you're prepared to dismantle them :)
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Desperado99

• Karma Group
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 07:04:33 PM »
We've had to replace the cover a couple of times (only £10)........ thats what you get for having cats that like to climb up stuff. I wish we had room for a proper big one, but ours does the job

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 07:57:39 PM »
I have to say it did not help with our cats sitting on the top either  ;).  The thing we did wrong was leave it out in the winter, should have done as you do desperado and dismantle it.

S x