Author Topic: Coming off fluoxetine  (Read 9477 times)

BeatIt

Coming off fluoxetine
« on: March 10, 2012, 08:29:50 AM »
I've been on fluoxetine for 5 years now and tried tapering a couple of times but with little success. I decided to go cold turkey just over 3 weeks ago and was ok for 2 to 2 ½ weeks. Been feeling really rough again this past week and decided to go back on them yesterday :(

I think I'm going to go to the doctor and get liquid form of fluoxetine and very gradually over the next year or more try to taper with that. I am on 20mg and just feel fed up being on these! I can normally do whatever I put my mind to but this one is a nightmare. Just looking for some thoughts from folks on how they got off fluoxetine and going to try to sort of keep a diary every so often on here of how I'm doing.

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Re: Coming off fluoxetine
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 08:43:42 AM »
I came off very slowly using the liquid, it takes a lot longer than we think it should unfortunately :(

Z x
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

BeatIt

Re: Re: Coming off fluoxetine
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 09:06:29 AM »
How long did it take you to come off it and what was your regime?

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 09:08:58 AM »
It was a  long time ago (I'm on citralopram now) but from what I can remember it took me around six months of very gradual decreases in the dose but I'd think everyone is different, have you spoken to your GP about coming off?

Z x

BeatIt

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 10:13:27 AM »
How long were you off it for and what made you go back on other meds.

Thanks

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 10:22:48 AM »
I was off it for about 3 years until the suicide of a friend then my depression returned and I went back on it, it worked OK for my third episode of depression (another traumatic life event)  but then for some reason it stopped working for me and my GP found other medication for me that was effective.

Z x

BeatIt

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 11:47:29 AM »
That makes sense. I was wondering if you had changed straight from fluoxetine to it but that's good that you were ok off the fluoxetine.

plumb

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 08:45:03 AM »
Beatlt. Flouraxitine takes weeks to build up in your system. Going cold turkey over night means you will feel ok for a few weeks because you still had it floating about until its all gone which is when you will probably feel crap again. When i spoke to my dr about coming off she said to start taking tablets every other day for a month and then every 3 days and keep doing that for some time. Im planning on 6 months altogether.

BeatIt

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 11:04:39 AM »
Managed to taper very slowly over about a couple of years and stopped in the middle of June.  Started feeling rough again over the last month or so and very reluctantly started fluoxetine on Saturday as I would quite happily curl up and die.   I'm not on day 4 and it is tough, really tough!  I know it'll kick in in 2 or 3 weeks but that initial period where it gets worse before it gets better is a nightmare!  Just want to fast forward to the middle of September.  Hopefully it won't last too long but who knows.   I've pretty much accepted this will be me now for possibly the rest of my life.  There is a bit of a family history so it's either have a decent life on them or have real difficulties without them.  The biggest issue is my acceptance of them.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 09:01:31 PM »
So sorry to hear that things are not good for you.  I will probably be on my meds for life now, I have tried coming off them a couple of times and with time the awful symptoms returned.  But I would rather take them and have a life.  Just hang in there and take things as they come until the meds kick in again.

S x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

BeatIt

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 02:44:38 PM »
Yup, that's the conclusion I'm coming to.  It's funny that in some ways the acceptance of that is the biggest issue.  I think it's possibly a pride thing or the fact that you feel you can't do something.  I had a better nights sleep last night and feeling a bit more human today, think it's too early for the meds to be kicking in (day 5) but I'm not as rough as I have been.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 09:12:54 PM »
I'm only taking one med for depression but am on another seven for pain, blood pressure and cholesterol which I hate.  For several months I had a problem swallowing tablets but have had to accept that I will always have to take the tablets.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 09:56:35 PM »
Feel for you.  It is hard to accept that we need to take the meds to help.  It took me a long while to accept it.  There is still such a stigma to mental health issues.

Good to hear you are feeling slightly better.  My thoughts are with you as I know only to well how bad those feelings can be.

S x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Grace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 08:01:07 AM »
For me I have long accepted that medication for depression will accompany all my life. I feel it's no use battling against my neurons which have been damaged over the years. I also take medication for blood pressure an that is also a lifelong medication. I just don't care for any medication that makes me function well!!
Actually I'm on ver high meds at the moment - 150mg of Nortriptyline (just about the maximum to be taken as out-patient, and Lamictal which is helping for migraine and to lift my depressed unipolar mood.
All this helps me function properly in a full-time job which is also quite demanding! And now after work I also feel ready to help in our local parish!
My best wishes BeatIt hoping you'll feel better day by day!

Grace

BeatIt

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 09:15:07 AM »
Thanks for the support guys.  On day 6 today back on the meds and I had a good day yesterday but didn't sleep quite so well last night and feeling a bit more off today.  Just trying to keep my peace and remember to take it one day at a time.  I know if 2 or 3 weeks I'll look back at these posts and wonder what all the fuss was about as I'll be feeling a lot better but as you all know the process of getting there is hard. 

Thanks again.