Author Topic: Citalopram stopped working!  (Read 5261 times)

katielou90

• My Reason For Living x
Citalopram stopped working!
« on: March 01, 2012, 10:07:30 PM »
 >:( well iv been on citalopram for about 15 months now and i had been feeling a lot better on them, obviously still had the off days but nothing like they used to be...anyway these past couple of weeks i feel so tired and have a constant headache. Iv got no energy and motivation to do anything im havin some bloods done on monday so if they come back clear i can change my meds, just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if so what did u go on? x
"Take the first step, no more, no less, and the next will be revealed."

Ezel

Re: Citalopram stopped working!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 11:42:24 PM »
I went through a severe crisis in December and the mental health team was involved. I struggled through January as well as Citalopram isn't working for me either which I've been taking for about 12/13 months.  My GP and I have talked about it and I have reduced the dosage.  I'm due to make another appointment in about a week to discuss how I am feeling, whether to continue with it try something else,

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 08:07:35 AM »
Hello and welcome,

The same thing happened to me, I was taking Citalopram for over a year, then it stopped working.  I am now on Duloxetine which works well for me.  Not all medications work the same for everyone.

S x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 08:13:45 AM »
I had that experience with Prozac but it was several years before it stopped working,  at the moment citralopram seems to be helping but it concerns me that something can work for a while then stop being effective :(
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Ally

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 08:49:22 AM »
I've been taking 5mg escitalopram for the past few months and they were working up until about last week.
It was like switching off a light. They just stopped working.

I thought it was just the I was feeling, but this has been about a week now and I am waiting for a GP appointment to get my meds reviewed.
Apparently, the maximum escitalopram dose that can be prescribed is 10mg and with being on half of that, I thought I would have been fine.

Will see what the doc says  :-\

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 08:53:59 AM »
I take 20mg daily, it might be worth asking your GP why your max dose would be 10mg

Z x
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Ally

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 09:10:06 AM »
I take 20mg daily, it might be worth asking your GP why your max dose would be 10mg

Z x

I'm going to try to get something sorted and either up the dosage or change the meds.

Will keep you posted
xx

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 11:32:59 AM »
Hope you get your medication sorted when you have your review Ally.

Take care

S x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

cazzzy

• Karma Group
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 07:47:53 PM »
i have the same problem !,but i find every medication i go on works well for 15 months then i start to feel ill again....it's so annoying  :'(,think i need another visit to gp ! but i get anxious as they always try to lower the dose or i have to withdraw slowly from one to the next which then leaves me really unwell & get really black thought & want to kill myself  "£" "£".....so im sort of stuck on them unless i take time off work,but then i have too much time on my hands and feel worse...i hope you get on ok  :)