Author Topic: HELLO !  (Read 1566 times)

alancue

• Karma Group
HELLO !
« on: January 15, 2012, 05:39:23 PM »
Hello. New to the site.
My name is Alan.
I have had depression on and off for the past 15 years ( diagnosed ). Possibly longer !
I have always been prescribed Citalopram however after talking to my GP just over a month ago and telling him that it doesn't seem to be as effective he changed my prescription to Fluoxetine .
I am now sleeping much better but my mood is cycling between extreme high/low. Started on 20mg for the first month and now been increased to 40 mg.
Could anyone tell me their views on Fluoxetine ? I feel much more connected with "real life " now I'm on it. Sorry if this seem to be rambling !

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Re: HELLO !
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 05:59:22 PM »
Hi Alan and welcome

Fluorexetine didnt work well for me but I'm sure someone else will be able to help more than I can.  Its good to hear you feel some improvement now you're on it :)
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 06:31:13 PM »
Hi and welcome alan,

I have posted in your other post about medication.  Have to say don't think I have ever been on the one you are on.

S x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Glen53

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 07:35:26 PM »
Hi Alan and welcome.

Planty of experience with Citalapram but not with Flouxetine Im afraid. There will no doubt be others here that can help you though
Crazy like a fish.

boo

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 10:54:56 PM »

Hi Alan,

Re. Fluoxetine (Prozac). Following the death of our sister, I was prescribed Prozac, and my sister Citalopram, but she too found them relatively ineffective and has now had her prescription changed to Prozac.

Personally, I find it helpful. It does take time to reach effectiveness levels, so a little patience is needed. Hope it helps you.  :)

boo

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 11:06:43 PM »

p.s. addendum to above post. My mood is still quite up and down, but I think that I am reacting 'normally' now to situations, rather than the majorly depressive mood of before. I feel more able to cope, if that makes sense.

carrie_m

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 12:25:54 PM »
Hi alan!!

I was one citalapram, first 20mg then I went up to 40mg and still didn't seem to be feeling better, I has nausea with it and terrible dreams. I am now on fluoxetine 20mg, i feel a little bit better but am waiting to see the doctor to go up to 40mg. It totally depends on the person as you can see from the posts everybody has different medication that works better. Fluoxetine sometimes has a bad rep from people who have only seen it in the media, i know when I was described it my mum told me 'don't tell your dad whatever you do that you're on F-ing prozac!' which was nice lol (Note sarcasam).
 But anyway, I perfer fluoxetine!