Author Topic: my latest bout of depression  (Read 3444 times)

Archive

my latest bout of depression
« on: August 02, 2009, 09:16:50 PM »
Corey  Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:36 pm 

Hi my user name is Corey and I was browsing the internet for things about depression and found this forum.
Since 2004 I have been suffering from periods of depression. I have tried various anti-depressants and for a time they seemed to work. I even came off them for a while once. However the depression always returns and each episode is worse than the last. The previous two have left me feeling sucidal. I saw a community psychiatric nurse last year and did cognitive behaviour therapy a long with increasing my latest anti-depressant, Venlafaxine to 150mg. After four weeks I began to improve once again and I have been doing fine. But a run of particuarly bad luck has sent me sliding down again.
On the plus side I know the signs and my new GP was very supportive. He has increased my dosage to 225mg and wants to see me in a couple of weeks. I just don't want to go through it all again, the pain is unbearable. But I am the sole carer to my 23 year old son and 21 year old daughter who have severe mental health problems. I also have a 19 year old daughter who has recently announced she is getting engaged. I hadn't even met the guy when she told me this. She has also rejected her offer to go to Nottingham University because she didn't want to be so far away from him.
I am a writer and have just this year found an agent after years of searching and she is really helpful. Trouble is now I can't concentrate on my novel. I need someone to talk to.
Corey

Archive

Re: my latest bout of depression
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 09:17:29 PM »
Ezel    Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:05 pm  

Hi and welcome Corey,

I'm sorry it's really late and I'm tired but wanted to let you know I had read your post so will post a better response tomorrow. It's sounds like you have a lot on your plate though.

Ezel

Archive

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 09:18:17 PM »
munrodave Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:52 pm 

You do have a lot on your plate, though I'm glad your Doctor is helpful. That makes a difference - mine just gave me the pills and left me to get on with it.

I wonder if there is any help available in your area for carers like yourself?

Dave.

Archive

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 09:19:24 PM »
Ezel   Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:46 pm 

Actually that is a good point .... I know there is support for carers in the area I live so there is a good chance there is where you live. It's worth your while getting in touch with your mental health team social workers and ask if there is a support network for carers.