Author Topic: Pregabalin - Anyone any info?  (Read 5395 times)

Ally74

Pregabalin - Anyone any info?
« on: December 10, 2011, 08:31:31 AM »
Morning,

My GP prescribed me pregabalin last week. Anyone got any experience of this med or any info?

I have been to see him lots over the past few months as my depression and anxiety is out of control and i'm now on Citalopram and pregabalin.

Other sysmptoms i told him about were:

memory loss
Concentration span
confusion
pins n needles sensations
skin crawling sensations.

Kind regards
Ally

Munchroom

• Karma Group
Re: Pregabalin - Anyone any info?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 11:16:18 AM »
I'm sorry Ally - I've never heard of it... I have a copy of th British National Formulary, because i'm doing a medication course and its very useful - and it states that it can be prescribed for (amongst other things) Generalized Anxiety Disorder.  It doesnt give musch more informaion unfortunately... dosages ad side effects, which would probably be in your patient information leaflet. One of the side effects though is Stevens-Johnsons syndrome. It is the least possible side effect listed but I urge you, if you get any unexplainable dry, flaky, irritated skin - please go back to your doctor striaght away. My sister had it and... well, early intervention is of paramount importance!! (But as I say, it is listed in 'uncommon side-effects' as the very last thing - so do not panic!)

The symptoms you've mentioned do sound very true of depression and/or side effects of medication (skin crawling, pins and needles) Hopefully these will pass as the medication gets to work  :)

Nay xx
This too shall pass.

Ally74

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 12:48:59 PM »
I'm sorry Ally - I've never heard of it... I have a copy of th British National Formulary, because i'm doing a medication course and its very useful - and it states that it can be prescribed for (amongst other things) Generalized Anxiety Disorder.  It doesnt give musch more informaion unfortunately... dosages ad side effects, which would probably be in your patient information leaflet. One of the side effects though is Stevens-Johnsons syndrome. It is the least possible side effect listed but I urge you, if you get any unexplainable dry, flaky, irritated skin - please go back to your doctor striaght away. My sister had it and... well, early intervention is of paramount importance!! (But as I say, it is listed in 'uncommon side-effects' as the very last thing - so do not panic!)

The symptoms you've mentioned do sound very true of depression and/or side effects of medication (skin crawling, pins and needles) Hopefully these will pass as the medication gets to work  :)

Nay xx

Thanks Nay, yes the side effects are on the leaflet i got.

GP said it was relatively new on the market. Been feeling a little dizzy with it so hoping that passes with time and it does seem to have taken the edge off the anxiety. I'm only on my 4th day taking it and kinda also hoping it works better the longer i use it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

SteveW

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 07:33:07 PM »
Pregabalin is a well established anti-epilepsy drug whose use has been extended to generalized anxiety disorder is recent years. Everything you could ever want to know about it can be found at the link below.The sections of most interest to you will be 4.2 and 4.8

http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/14651
Sometimes the light is shining on me
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange, trip it's been

SteveW

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 07:52:48 PM »
Forgot something. If you want to follow Munchrooms suggestion and consult the British National Formulary,it is available online,but you have to register. The link is:

http://bnf.org/bnf/

Pregabalin is in section 4.8
Lately it occurs to me

Ally74

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 08:45:20 AM »
Pregabalin is a well established anti-epilepsy drug whose use has been extended to generalized anxiety disorder is recent years. Everything you could ever want to know about it can be found at the link below.The sections of most interest to you will be 4.2 and 4.8

http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/14651

Hi Steve

Thanks for this. Been feeling a little better the more i take it and my concentration has improved.The dizzyness has subsided slightly but been getting slight headaches the last few days.

Is this something that can be taken over a long period of time or a short term drug?

Kind regards
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 08:48:04 AM by Ally74 »

SteveW

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 08:41:26 PM »
Since it's main use is as an anti-epilepsy drug, and epilepsy tends not to go away, it is perfectly possible to take it in the long term.
Lately it occurs to me

1st class fool

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 07:09:16 AM »
 hello, />.
yes i'm on 300mg pregabalin per day along with 150mg sertraline & 20mg diazepam.

i started on 150mg pregabaline & i was so drowsy & sleepy for the first 3 days then it didnt seem to have as much of an effect on me & since the double up to 300mg on monday this week i'm all over the shop  !"! confused forgetfullness and i often lose my balance & allmost fall over !"!

im told to take my dose once every 12 hours & since monday within 30 mins i feel some effect then within 2 hours im wasted and usually end up falling asleep for an hour or so but 30 mins after waking i feel ok-ish....

since monday i have been waking up at 3am every day  >:( and cant get back to sleep so that isnt helping me at all,im back to the gp this friday to see how the double up is effecting me,i dont know what else to say atm so that is it.

if you need a chat just holla at me ally  />.

i edited this just to say i think we are very fortunate to be offered pregabalin as it is a very expensive drug,let's just hope it works....
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 08:01:30 AM by 1st class fool »
Drugs are BAD mkay!!
JFT96 NEVER EVER FORGET THE 96 THAT PASSED AWAY :(
Liverpool FC YNWA *****